Reload this Page >

Health insurance

Health insurance

Old Sep 12th 2020, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Ljay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance

Hi,
Can anyone recommend private healthcare cover for 3-6months while we apply for our carte de sejour & carte vitale?
Thank you
Laura

Old Sep 13th 2020, 6:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance

Originally Posted by Ljay
Hi,
Can anyone recommend private healthcare cover for 3-6months while we apply for our carte de sejour & carte vitale?
Thank you
Laura
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Just to clarify, who are "we"? The matrimonial status is important in France, which is why I'm asking right from the start.... For example, if you are "partners" not legally bound, you would be considered separate individuals and have to take out two separate insurance covers and apply for the C.V. and CdS individually. Likewise if a parent is coming along, too, and/or a child's girl/boyfriend. If you are married, then no complications for you and your children...
Otherwise, sorry I can't help on the private healthcare insurance front....
If you're asking about taking out private healthcare insurance for the months preceding applications for CdS and CV, this implies that you'll be "inactifs", i.e. non-working pre-retirees without an S1. Check the financial requirements for the former, and remember to provide proof of residence from Day 1 (rental receipts/property deeds, utility bills, ...) for both.
There again, I'm mentioning this now, to get a general overview of your situation!!
Old Sep 13th 2020, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Rosecampion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ljay
Hi,
Thank you
Laura
I’d stick with one of the big providers like Axa or Aviva.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosecampion
I’d stick with one of the big providers like Axa or Aviva.
Well, yes and no. This may work if one wants the least hassle of 'shopping around' to get the best deal to suit yourself and partner.
We initially had quotes from the 'big' Mutuelle providers. And then quickly realised there were several other lesser-known providers who had convenient offices in our department.
We then contacted a very good friend who was the local manager of UMT Sante who gave us a quote which seemed reasonable. Then set out doing the footwork around other local health providers and getting their quotes.
Long story short, the difference in premiums and cover provided was surprising. The most expensive, including the big providers mentioned above didn't give the best cover when one scrutinised the brochures and personal quotations. And we certainly didn't want a cheap & cheerful Mutuelle.
There was one provider who was the clear winner, who spent some considerable time with us explaining the pros & cons, why it was sometimes wise to opt for 150% or 200% cover on certain item such as dental, eye glasses etc. We've now had this same health provider for 14 years and delighted with their service.
Be aware that tariffs may increase from time to time as all Mutuelle's are subject to the european solvency 2 directive and must keep their accounts in balance.
The importance of having a local provider with a high street office with whom you can sit down as the occasion arises should not be under estimated. Believe me, conducting similar conversations over the phone, or by mail can be fraught with difficulties and frustration - even when one is reasonably fluent in French.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Rosecampion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Well, yes and no. This may work if one wants the least hassle of 'shopping around' to get the best deal to suit yourself and partner.
We initially had quotes from the 'big' Mutuelle providers. And then quickly realised there were several other lesser-known providers who had convenient offices in our department.
We then contacted a very good friend who was the local manager of UMT Sante who gave us a quote which seemed reasonable. Then set out doing the footwork around other local health providers and getting their quotes.
Long story short, the difference in premiums and cover provided was surprising. The most expensive, including the big providers mentioned above didn't give the best cover when one scrutinised the brochures and personal quotations. And we certainly didn't want a cheap & cheerful Mutuelle.
There was one provider who was the clear winner, who spent some considerable time with us explaining the pros & cons, why it was sometimes wise to opt for 150% or 200% cover on certain item such as dental, eye glasses etc. We've now had this same health provider for 14 years and delighted with their service.
Be aware that tariffs may increase from time to time as all Mutuelle's are subject to the european solvency 2 directive and must keep their accounts in balance.
The importance of having a local provider with a high street office with whom you can sit down as the occasion arises should not be under estimated. Believe me, conducting similar conversations over the phone, or by mail can be fraught with difficulties and frustration - even when one is reasonably fluent in French.
You’re dead right about the importance of having an insurance company with a high street office. Our car insurance is with the Crédit Mutuel and we have to do everything by telephone. I must change it this winter and try to find somewhere we can do business face to face.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the OP is not asking about mutuelle cover but about private health cover for the period of time it takes to satisfy residency conditions and get the paperwork done Personally I would go for the full annual policy as due to Covid etc things may take longer than usual to be processed You should ensure the policy covers the EU and GB as if you go back to visit family etc you will no longer have NHS cover
It is always difficult to advise on a policy but I would get one that is French/EU based as British insurers are probably going to lose pass porting rights come Jan 21
Old Sep 13th 2020, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ljay,
For what it's worth I organised our life insurance through a broker in Paris called Fabien Paillisier (05 36 65 97 41). He was recommended on another expat forum. He speaks English and I found him very helpful. We were in a similar situation to you in that we needed insurance while we waited to join the french healthcare system. We found that it was so little more to take out insurance for the year rather than 6 months that we went for it and Listen Very Carefully's point is a good one concerning the time scale being possibly affected by covid and brexit.