Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Health care question

Health care question

Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health care question

Hello
My self and my husband are considering a move to France. We are both UK passport holders but I also have an Irish passport. I receive a UK pension but my husband is not quite there yet although he will be retired from work when we get to France. I believe I may get health care automatically but unsure about my husband. Will any health care given to us need topping up with private insurance?

Thanks for reading.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care question

If your husband receives a UK pension then he will be covered with an S1 issued by the UK.
The French healthcare system generally only covers 70% of costs.
This includes visits to a doctor and medicines from the pharmacy.
French mutuelle top-up insurance is menu driven and you buy the cover you need e.g. optics; dental; enhanced hospital cover.
Long-term illness can be covered 100%.
Mutuelle top-up insurance is highly recommended.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
If your husband receives a UK pension then he will be covered with an S1 issued by the UK.
French mutuelle top-up insurance is menu driven and you buy the cover you need e.g. optics; dental; enhanced hospital cover.

Thanks for your reply. As my husband will not receive a UK pension for a few more years we would need to fully cover him I am assuming.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

If you get an S1 for yourself, which you should be able to if you're in receipt of a UK pension, you should be able to have your hubbie added as your dependent if he's stopped working.
That way you will both be able to register for healthcare in France, with France recovering their share of the cost from the UK..
I think you will be able to register straight away but hubbie may have to wait until he has his carte de séjour, so you would need private health insurance for the first few months at least.
When your hubbie starts receiving his UK pension, he will get his own S1 and at that point he must register in his own right. But until then he can piggyback on your S1. But you need to ask DWP to add him when you apply for the S1 because they don't do it automatically.
Or that's how it used to work and I'm not aware that Brexit has changed anything apart from his need to apply for a titre de séjour as the spouse of an EU citizen.
Old Jun 9th 2022, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian

Very,very helpful. Thanks so much,