Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Health care back in UK

Health care back in UK

Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:52 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health care back in UK

Resident in France, some 18 months, with Carte Vitale and some top up health insurance, just wishing to check if there any issues on returns to UK (for family visits, wedding etc) regarding NHS health care. We both have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), valid to Jan 2011. Is that all we might need? Reason asking is expat friends have been in confusion as to their own cover on return visits.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health care back in UK

Originally Posted by cjm
Resident in France, some 18 months, with Carte Vitale and some top up health insurance, just wishing to check if there any issues on returns to UK (for family visits, wedding etc) regarding NHS health care. We both have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), valid to Jan 2011. Is that all we might need? Reason asking is expat friends have been in confusion as to their own cover on return visits.
Is it the French one from Cpam, Because if it is then its tip top. As I understand it once your a Resident of France and enrolled in the health care here a british one becomes chocolate fire guard material. I might be wrong however.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:25 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

No, not French one, but one from NHS. I wonder if the NHS one is for Brits travelling to EU countries. So perhaps visit to CPAM may be requied.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by cjm
No, not French one, but one from NHS. I wonder if the NHS one is for Brits travelling to EU countries. So perhaps visit to CPAM may be requied.
The British one is for Brits travelling outside of the UK, Cant be used within the UK.

A visit to Cpam will be in order, Dont know what the lead time is though on getting the card.

But its called "Carte Europeenne DÀssurance Maladie" It Blue in colour and one is issued for each member travelling.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 9th 2009 at 6:45 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The British one is for Brits travelling outside of the UK, Cant be used within the UK.

A visit to Cpam will be in order, Dont know what the lead time is though on getting the card.

But its called "Carte Europeenne DÀssurance Maladie" It Blue in colour and one is issued for each member travelling.

Was really easy to get our European card from CPAM - took 10 days from time of applying to getting the card, but we are in rural Normandy so probably not that great a demand
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Was really easy to get our European card from CPAM - took 10 days from time of applying to getting the card, but we are in rural Normandy so probably not that great a demand
Dwp are changing the laws on the cards soon, if you are an expat living abroad you will have to contact the DWP in UK to get one.
There was info about it on Spain from DWPinSpain, but i am watching Q of sport, so can´t search. ;-))
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Dwp are changing the laws on the cards soon, if you are an expat living abroad you will have to contact the DWP in UK to get one.
There was info about it on Spain from DWPinSpain, but i am watching Q of sport, so can´t search. ;-))
That comes in to effect in March 2010, So for the moment it will still have to be issued here This thread clarifies it a bit more. Its related to E121 and E109 holders not persons working and paying into their local health care system.

Info HERE

This explains it as well I have yet to find anything that implies changes to British nationals that are French Residents. But it is a EU wide directive, But the French like paper work.

Anyone not working is going to get caught between a rock and a hard place.

" Early retirees who are not working, not of Government pension age and not covered by an E106 will not normally be entitled to a EHIC." …and "As EC regulation stands, there is no provision to automatically entitle a person to medical cover when they go to live, but not work, in another EC country. Therefore, unless someone is covered by a reciprocal agreement such as an E121, they would have to meet Spain's rules for accessing state healthcare to be entitled to a Spanish EHIC. These rules state that a person has to be contributing to the social security system in Spain to have entitlement. With regard to the NHS, access is given on the basis of a person's permanent residence there. If they are not resident in the UK, then they will not be entitled to NHS care under the normal rules."

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 9th 2009 at 8:45 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:05 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone, solid advice. Trip to CPAM next week. As for changes in rules, not a lot I can do about that so will go with the flow that develops. Our CPAM is in Lucon a few kliks away, so should be fine in time for our return in December for family visit and pressies.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Applying for the card is extremely easy to do online, you do not need to visit the office. The website is www.ameli.fr They will post you out a temporary covering letter if your trip is imminent, but even the cards take less than a fortnight to arrive.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:51 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Well, Amelie didn't like me. Copied name as per my l'Assurance Maladie document and 13 number social security number, but would not recognise my name. My wife also had same issue. Now it's locked me out, so trip to CPAM guaranteed.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone not working is going to get caught between a rock and a hard place.[/QUOTE]

last year before my carte vitale was based on pay here and not on previous pay in the uk, the french cpam told me that any EHIC had to come from the uk and not them when I tried to apply for one; I assume now I pay inot the system, here that my card will originate here
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
last year before my carte vitale was based on pay here and not on previous pay in the uk, the french cpam told me that any EHIC had to come from the uk and not them when I tried to apply for one; I assume now I pay inot the system, here that my card will originate here
We were issued one here. But we are on Year 7 of life in the Event Horizon.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 11th 2009 at 9:18 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

It's all to do with so called Competant States.

If your care in France is provided by way of an E106 then UK is still the Competant State and you have full rights to NHS care when you are there. This includes the issuance of an EHIC.

Once you have qualified for French health care by virtue of 5 years legal residence France becomes the Competant State and your EHIC comes from them.

Similarly France becomes the Competant State once you reach pensionable age and qualify for care under an E121.

If when your E106 expires you have not completed 5 years or are not of pensionable age or working in France then you are indeed on your own.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
It's all to do with so called Competant States.

If your care in France is provided by way of an E106 then UK is still the Competant State and you have full rights to NHS care when you are there. This includes the issuance of an EHIC.

Once you have qualified for French health care by virtue of 5 years legal residence France becomes the Competant State and your EHIC comes from them.

Similarly France becomes the Competant State once you reach pensionable age and qualify for care under an E121.

If when your E106 expires you have not completed 5 years or are not of pensionable age or working in France then you are indeed on your own.

This is not quite corrrect.

If your healthcare cover is being provided by any E form from the UK, be it 106, 109 121 etc, then the UK is your competent state. You therefore need an EHIC from the UK.

If you have private health cover beause you are living in France and not eligible for cover either from the UK or from France, then you are in no-man's land and will need private travel cover.

If you are receiving cover from France, either by employment, self-employment or virtue of being accepted into CMU-b, then France is your competent state and you must apply for for a CEAM from your relevant Caisse.