Reload this Page >

having legal docs translated in england

having legal docs translated in england

Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

stewart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default having legal docs translated in england

Hi all,

I've just had my initial documents from the french notaire translated into english by a friend, but it now appears that it would be prudent to have them vetted by a solicitor with a knowledge of the french legal system.

I was in touch with one solicitor who was up for the task, but it would have taken me two months to earn his fees!!!! I think he wore a mask over his eyes and had a name of turpin or something....

The other option is to find an english speaking nataire to act on my behalf. (any excuse to fly back again!!!)

So what did you lot do? trust the notaire who conducted your house purchase? or get independent advice?

Any help would be great!! and i am expecting a reply from Priscilia! lol
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default Re: having legal docs translated in england

Hi Stewart, Why Me?!
First what documents are you on about? Is it the "Compromis de vente", or is it the actual sale?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

stewart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by priscilia
Hi Stewart, Why Me?!
First what documents are you on about? Is it the "Compromis de vente", or is it the actual sale?

Hi Priscilia,

Well after reading nearly every thread posted on here, you seem to have a good knowledge, and give sound advice!!

The documents are the Compromis de vente, but my question was to the whole process of buying a property in France, and is it safe to trust the notaire who is acting for both parties, or seek independent legal advice?

Thanks,

Stewart.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

So if it's the compromis de vente, you need to make sure you cover yourself as much as possible, so that you can withdraw if anything goes wrong.
You can put a lot of conditions in it: how much money you need to be allowed to borrow to complete the whole project (in case there is a problem with the bank), you can ask not to buy until your planning permission has come through (what's the point of buying if you can't do what you want with the property and you don't need to start paying back the mortgage before you can start working), and make sure you can have water, electricity, drainage and access to your property and check if somebody might have access.
All these conditions might not apply of course and there may be other ones you might need to consider but if you are satisfied with what you read in your translation I would see nothing wrong with staying with the same notaire, I would think he must be honest with all his clients.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

You can try a look at this site for more help: http://www.1st-for-french-property.c...legal-help.htm
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stewart
Hi all,

I've just had my initial documents from the french notaire translated into english by a friend, but it now appears that it would be prudent to have them vetted by a solicitor with a knowledge of the french legal system.

I was in touch with one solicitor who was up for the task, but it would have taken me two months to earn his fees!!!! I think he wore a mask over his eyes and had a name of turpin or something....

The other option is to find an english speaking nataire to act on my behalf. (any excuse to fly back again!!!)

So what did you lot do? trust the notaire who conducted your house purchase? or get independent advice?

Any help would be great!! and i am expecting a reply from Priscilia! lol

I think you can look up official translators from you local Mairie.
Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Michael E will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stewart
Hi all,

I agree with Priscilia - there is no more reason to mistrust the ability of your French Notaire than you would mistrust a British Solicitor...
(mind you I think most solicitors are pretty useless and necessasary whent it comes to conveyancing)
Provided you have been able to communicate with your French Notair and he knows your situation, knows what you want and expect from the deal and is aware of the safeguards you want then I would trust him. If you have not been able to communicate that information then maybe you should have another rendezvous with him accompanied by someone who is truly bi-lingual.
Notairs in small towns - villages are very dependant on their reputation in order to earn a living so tend to be honorable and efficient but you must feed him/her the correct info in the first place.

Michael