Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

Old Jan 20th 2016, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

We are looking forward to an early retirement and have narrowed down our search to two areas, the French Alps or Dordgone. We want to be in an area with a few more expats but primarily a good hospital, and clubs or societies which combine meeting english and french so we have the best of both worlds. We know some areas of the french alps but apart from Sarlat and the immediate area not sure where to make our next visit to in the Dordogne. In order to stay in France we must be comfortable with the area, people and more importantly health facilities. Also, how do people find the French in the Dordogne? There as been thsi stigma with the Dordogne for having so many Expats that this doesn't bode well the the locals.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

Give me Annecy over the Dordogne any day. Annecy is very 'international'.

I think the stigma with the Dordogne is more Brit on Brit like other such places in France. The French moved out years ago.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, we visit Annecy a lot. Very nice but mad in the Summer (like the Dordogne) and full of students. Hospitals in the area are nothing special either.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
Hospitals in the area are nothing special either.
???

Hospitals are nothing special in any area although I have never had a bad experience in all the areas I have lived in France.

At least you have one in Annecy (voted 2nd best place in France for quality of life in a recent report).

Le Genevois français, Annecy, Chambéry, Bourgoin-Jallieu dans le Top 10 des lieux où il fait bon vivre en France - France 3 Alpes

Then you have Grenoble (voted best place to retire to in France in another report) and Chambery sat in between.

Then you have the Dordogne voted best place to find a cheap house by the British.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

I was interested to see Bourgoin Jallieu in that list. Very interesting. It is a complete and utter dump and according to locals is the hospital where people go to die! We live near Chambery hospital and that is pretty ropey to say the least. Grenoble sits in a valley of smog and like many french cities is not pretty! Quite an interesting article though thanks.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbi2
I was interested to see Bourgoin Jallieu in that list.
You mean top 10 of the list.

I get it. The longer you live in France the more you get it. It is ideal if you think about it.

I agree about Grenoble. The smell gets me. Grenoble (I was once told) has the highest suicide rate in France.

In terms of the Dordogne, I would in all honesty prefer to move back to the UK.

Give me Val de Loire any day.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

It depends what type of Brit you are happy with . Some villages seem to be favoured by Guardian reading teachers. In others the Mail or the Telegraph are the label.If you want to meet French people go to activities where local people go.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Touraine
Give me Annecy over the Dordogne any day. Annecy is very 'international'.

I think the stigma with the Dordogne is more Brit on Brit like other such places in France. The French moved out years ago.
And I wonder why that was......

Spoiler:
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of hospitals....
there is a list done every year by lepoint.fr
http://www.lepoint.fr/hopitaux/tableau-d-honneur.php

Toulouse and Lille at the top of the list again. i know where I'd rather live if I had to choose by hospital!
Bordeaux is 3rd and Grenoble 12th.

They also list by speciality which might be useful if you have a particular concern. Of not much use to many but if you had the fairly rare disease of Ehlers Danloss syndrome, then the best place in Europe will be Toulouse which is the center of treatment/research into this disease. They have a professor that always reminded me of House... he sees patients and diagnoses those that nobody else can figure out.

I'm sure Bobbi has read JJMB's posts about her parents and her struggles with sorting them out in "retirement". JJMB's post about this ought to be a sticky I reckon. Although nobody would read it.....

Dordogneshire - well, it's pretty in the summer and dismal and quiet in the winter. My aunt and uncle semi-retired there and even though they spoke french, my uncle was working and they moved to an area which is teeming with people and things to do in the summer holidays, they were bored to tears in the winter when everyone just appears to hibernate.

Haute Savoie on the other hand, well plenty to do all year round.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

I'm sure Bobbi has read JJMB's posts about her parents and her struggles with sorting them out in "retirement". JJMB's post about this ought to be a sticky I reckon. Although nobody would read it.....
There IS a sticky on the subject, following jjmb's thread. Maybe not many expats who are already here read the various threads in the FAQs, but potential expats are encouraged to read them if it's evident that they're not aware of the differences between life in France and life in the UK. It certainly saves repeating info every time....
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Johnprofwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone got any advice around the area of Saint Pardoux La Rivviere for retiring to, not that I am in the 70s and in a wheelchair � ����
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnprofwhite
Anyone got any advice around the area of Saint Pardoux La Rivviere for retiring to, not that I am in the 70s and in a wheelchair � ����
ask away. My aunt and uncle lived there for 12 years but left about 3 years ago.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Johnprofwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

ask away. My aunt and uncle lived there for 12 years but left about 3 years ago.
that does not bode well then if they have left, going to pop over and visit during the colder months to get a feel for it in Dordogne. Will there be any winter/Christmas markets on or would it be better to go to Brantome, Nontron for example.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 10:37 pm
Austin. TX.

They had owned the house for 25 years and lived in semi-retirement for 12 years.

They got fed up with dealing with french bureaucracy, the winters in the area are dead, there's almost nothing going on and they were bored. It's beautiful in the summer of course but heaving with tourists especially in Brantome. Perigueuex was just a bit too far to go for shopping on a regular basis.

Their daughter had bought a house in Wales near their family home (which they had kept) so they sold up (took 2 years to sell, as is normal). They had also witnessed friends of theirs getting older and needing more care - and realised that they didn't want to end up in a french nursing home or indeed being too old to look after themselves in their house and a long way from family.

Having said all that, the 25 years they had owned the house had been enjoyable. They'd just reached the end of their french life.

They now own a very plush caravanette with which they tour southern europe in the winter months.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

They had owned the house for 25 years and lived in semi-retirement for 12 years.

They got fed up with dealing with french bureaucracy, the winters in the area are dead, there's almost nothing going on and they were bored. It's beautiful in the summer of course but heaving with tourists especially in Brantome. Perigueuex was just a bit too far to go for shopping on a regular basis.

Their daughter had bought a house in Wales near their family home (which they had kept) so they sold up (took 2 years to sell, as is normal). They had also witnessed friends of theirs getting older and needing more care - and realised that they didn't want to end up in a french nursing home or indeed being too old to look after themselves in their house and a long way from family.

Having said all that, the 25 years they had owned the house had been enjoyable. They'd just reached the end of their french life.

They now own a very plush caravanette with which they tour southern europe in the winter months.

Sums up the issues that many expats don't consider when they make the move.
I am glad that they kept their UK home which would make the return to the UK easier.
Many can't do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.