British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Halloween in France. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/halloween-france-905339/)

Purple Jim Nov 16th 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Halloween in France.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12383577)
When I came here - even further back, Father Christmas was still wearing nappies. ;)

And regarding lost loved ones: :eek:

:rofl:

CzP41004 Dec 5th 2017 8:31 am

Haha, I remember being absolutely amazed at how much of a big thing Halloween is in France when I lived there! The French would rather die, get tortured, or drink Spanish wine rather than admit it, but they did take a lot of things from the Americans they like to criticise.

If I'm not mistaken, the "fête des morts" is mostly observed by the older generation and practising Christians, while Halloween caters to the younger ones (and their grandparents, who have to remember to stockpile sweets!)

Tweedpipe Dec 5th 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by CzP41004 (Post 12394167)
Haha, I remember being absolutely amazed at how much of a big thing Halloween is in France when I lived there! The French would rather die, get tortured, or drink Spanish wine rather than admit it, but they did take a lot of things from the Americans they like to criticise.
If I'm not mistaken, the "fête des morts" is mostly observed by the older generation and practising Christians, while Halloween caters to the younger ones (and their grandparents, who have to remember to stockpile sweets!)

I note you're in Alicante. A very pleasant area. We holidayed there....... over 40 years ago.
Regarding Halloween, the French have recently adopted Black Friday too - in a very big way, and we know where that originated.
I think the French would definitely prefer to be tortured than drink Spanish wine; it's a cultural, nationalistic thing - rather than anything wrong with some of the better Spanish wines. In fact when I get the chance I pick up a few bottles of Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva, or one of the pleasant Torres reds when I see them. But I wouldn't swap any of 'em for a Madiran Montus or Bouscasse, whch I'm particularly fond of.

The younger generation in general also get pretty involved today in the fête des morts visits to local cemeteries, as one can witness every Nov 1st, plus it's a national holiday.

dmu Dec 5th 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by CzP41004 (Post 12394167)

Hi, you're not entirely mistaken, la Toussaint is observed by most generations and not necessarily by practising Catholics. There's always a steady flow of crysanthemum/cyclamen buyers in the shops, with the resulting riot of colours on the graves, but they aren't necessarily practising, just honouring their departed. In fact, French OH whose family is scattered in France and myself, feel a bit out of it as we haven't got any one buried locally...

Tweedpipe Dec 5th 2017 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12394197)
In fact, French OH whose family is scattered in France and myself, feel a bit out of it as we haven't got any one buried locally...

Dmu, don't feel left out, there are other possibilities.......;)

dmu Dec 5th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12394202)
Dmu, don't feel left out, there are other possibilities.......;)

Maybe this isn't the right place to say RIP to Jean d'Ormesson. I believe you appreciate him? Apart from everything else, I liked the malicious twinkle in his blue eyes!

Tweedpipe Dec 5th 2017 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12394250)
Maybe this isn't the right place to say RIP to Jean d'Ormesson. I believe you appreciate him? Apart from everything else, I liked the malicious twinkle in his blue eyes!

I certainly will. And so will 'Novo' as he was a big Jean d'O fan too.

Novocastrian Dec 6th 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12394288)
I certainly will. And so will 'Novo' as he was a big Jean d'O fan too.

No, not really. we inherited a large collection of Livres de Poche from my OH's parents. Her father had asked her to promise to keep her mother's book collection together after he died, which he did in February.

After my accidental reference to Jean and your strong recommendation of his erudition, I did read some of his work.

I probably missed most of said erudition, but with my limited French I grew to appreciate his writing.

RIP