Hairdressers

Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Mark Tomlinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdressers

We have recently moved to Le Vesinet and my wife would like some reccomendations of a good english speaking hair salon(s) in the area. Any help very much appreciated
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressers

Originally Posted by Mark Tomlinson
We have recently moved to Le Vesinet and my wife would like some reccomendations of a good english speaking hair salon(s) in the area. Any help very much appreciated
Sorry I can't help with a particular salon.
But the best possible help I can give is, "Why not do what folks have been doing for years when they go abroad? Buy an English/French phrase book." One only has to learn 2 or 3 phrases related to hair cut/style/colour and you're made for the future. Will also give the confidence required to get a feel for the locals. Really essential. If one remains linguistically a foreigner in another country it's a sure-sign that one is in for more difficult times ahead.
Enjoy France to the full. You won't regret it!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

On reflection, one doesn't even have to buy a phrase book to learn the essentials. They are just a click away.
These should help to get you off the starting-block.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpLLUrEwMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwvUmSCCLJ8

Without a phrase-book, to learn specific phrases (example 'not too short' or 'cut and blow') just type them into the following google translate panel and hit translate.
http://translate.google.com/#en|fr|

Wherever I'm been (lived and worked in 8 countries) I've always taken a few days before departure to learn 10 or so essential phrases. Truly a recipe for success in quick integration. And I was the slow one in school who was always given the, 'can do better' title.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Aug 31st 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there used to be a BE member and family living in Le Vesinet, but I believe he has moved on. If no one can recommend a hairdresser in the area, then look in Les Pages Jaunes for the addresses of Coiffeurs and ask them on the spot whether they speak English (and also to see what the departing clients look like!).
But, unless you've got a complicated style or need high-lights (="mèches"), you can get by with "coupe d'entretien" = trim, "pas trop court" = not too short, "en carré" = straight cut, "en dégradé" = layered cut, "un brushing" = blow-dry.
Hope this helps!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

I'm totally with Tweedpipe. A life in any country without integration is no life. When we first came here, I was also petrified of going to the hairdresser. (It's a girlie thing guys) I walked into the shop, as it's always easier face to face than it is on the telephone. You cant see all my crazy gesticulations on the telephone. I of course did a little homework before setting off, had my trusty dictionary with me, and eventually made my appointment. Took the aforementioned dictionary with me for the first 18 months or so, and laughed so much, (mostly from embarrasment and as a cover up for not knowing how to respond) that I am now known fondly as Madame Giggle. (The one word of English I taught them!) Hubby and I did exactly the same thing at the Hotel des Impôts, the Mairie, the Notaire etc. etc...

Everyone will really respect you for it and fall over themselves to help. That's always been our experience anyway.

In order to get the best out of anything, you have to make an effort.

Go on. Take a deep breath. Jump in. Give it a whirl. Enjoy! What's the worst that can happen?

Bon Courage!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
I'm totally with Tweedpipe. A life in any country without integration is no life. When we first came here, I was also petrified of going to the hairdresser. (It's a girlie thing guys) I walked into the shop, as it's always easier face to face than it is on the telephone. You cant see all my crazy gesticulations on the telephone. I of course did a little homework before setting off, had my trusty dictionary with me, and eventually made my appointment. Took the aforementioned dictionary with me for the first 18 months or so, and laughed so much, (mostly from embarrasment and as a cover up for not knowing how to respond) that I am now known fondly as Madame Giggle. (The one word of English I taught them!) Hubby and I did exactly the same thing at the Hotel des Impôts, the Mairie, the Notaire etc. etc...

Everyone will really respect you for it and fall over themselves to help. That's always been our experience anyway.

In order to get the best out of anything, you have to make an effort.

Go on. Take a deep breath. Jump in. Give it a whirl. Enjoy! What's the worst that can happen? Bon Courage!
I bet you wish they pronounced it Madame Jiggle ........ or is that for your OH?