Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hairdresser Mishap - what are my rights?

Hairdresser Mishap - what are my rights?

Old Nov 24th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdresser Mishap - what are my rights?

It's been a LONG while since I last posted ... but I need your wisdom!!!

Last Tuesday I went to a hairdresser here in Provence to have my hair straightened "lissage japonais" a treatment I've had 3 times before in Dubai - I couldn't do it whilst I was pregnant or breastfeeding, and since I am currently neither I decided to go for it.

I found a salon who could do it - went for a consultation and booked my appointment. The woman who owned the salon did the consultation and asked for deposit. I paid my deposit and 3 days later was in the chair having the treatment I so longed for but it was done by someone else.

Fast forward to Friday, I followed all their instructions and what I know from the past and didn't get my hair wet etc .. and after the first wash I realised that my hair, on one side was breaking a few mms from the root - and worse still at the front of my hair. It's like I shaved that part - I called them, went in and I feel that they fobbed me off with a pot of posh conditioner ... now, I have noticed that my hair is falling and breaking a lot more - I KNOW the treatment wasn't done correctly and I am seriously upset as I am €220 down and the drama queen in me thinks I will be bald pretty soon ...

the reality is they messed up and there is little they can do now to fix it - what are my rights?
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:17 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hairdresser Mishap - what are my rights?

Originally Posted by beigey
It's been a LONG while since I last posted ... but I need your wisdom!!!

Last Tuesday I went to a hairdresser here in Provence to have my hair straightened "lissage japonais" a treatment I've had 3 times before in Dubai - I couldn't do it whilst I was pregnant or breastfeeding, and since I am currently neither I decided to go for it.

I found a salon who could do it - went for a consultation and booked my appointment. The woman who owned the salon did the consultation and asked for deposit. I paid my deposit and 3 days later was in the chair having the treatment I so longed for but it was done by someone else.

Fast forward to Friday, I followed all their instructions and what I know from the past and didn't get my hair wet etc .. and after the first wash I realised that my hair, on one side was breaking a few mms from the root - and worse still at the front of my hair. It's like I shaved that part - I called them, went in and I feel that they fobbed me off with a pot of posh conditioner ... now, I have noticed that my hair is falling and breaking a lot more - I KNOW the treatment wasn't done correctly and I am seriously upset as I am €220 down and the drama queen in me thinks I will be bald pretty soon ...

the reality is they messed up and there is little they can do now to fix it - what are my rights?
Personally I would have a word with an Advocate, We have been using one to get a refund from someone.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Personally I would have a word with an Advocate, We have been using one to get a refund from someone.
Me too, taking before and after photos and the receipt from the hairdressers.
Good luck!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ka Ora and dmu ... will go back on Tuesday and see what they say ...
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi beigey

Where are you exactly? I am in Vaucluse too and both myself and a friend had a bad experience in a local salon, though nothing as dramatic as you! These days I have a very good hairdresser who comes to the house and has also become a friend.

I could call her and ask advice if you like.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

I'm in St Saturnin les Avignon - 15 mins from Avignon
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi beigey

I am not far from St Sat les Apt (!), we were in Avignon yesterday enjoying the glorious weather -not!

How have you got on so far? Would you like my to ask Sandrine's advice/opinion?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks grannybunz - yes the Mistral we are having is wonderful URGH!- I saw my hairdresser yesterday who said I should go back and demand at least €100 back as it's really messed up. I just haven't been able to go or call as I have a sick 2 yr old at home and juggling her fever and work (DH is away) so I plan to call tomorrow and go in next week. Sadly there is nothing they can do to fix it
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks grannybunz - yes the Mistral we are having is wonderful URGH!- I saw my hairdresser yesterday who said I should go back and demand at least €100 back as it's really messed up. I just haven't been able to go or call as I have a sick 2 yr old at home and juggling her fever and work (DH is away) so I plan to call tomorrow and go in next week. Sadly there is nothing they can do to fix it
Hi, if I were you I'd consult a Dermatologue to get an opinion as to the long-term effects.
At the very least the hairdressers should reimburse entirely, they have professional insurance, and even some compensation for your "suffering". It's in their interest to keep a client satisfied....
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

I happened to meet Sandrine in the village just now. She was most sympathetic and said the person who did the work seems not to have been trained/qualified for that particular proceedure and that in itself is an offence. A formal, written complaint should be sent to the salon owner, recommandé of course, demaning an explanation and full compensation including the cost of consulting a dermatologist and cover for any subsquent consquences.

Unless you get a prompt and satisfactory reply you should inform them that you will take legal advice.

She added, only half joking, La Provence would lap the story up!

Hope the little one is feeling better - there are a lot of bugs doing the rounds at the moment.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - that is interesting information - I called them Friday and they said I need to send a letter and they will reimburse me - I know the woman who did the treatment cannot have been trained properly. It's all quite depressing - I wish I'd never done it now ... thank you again for giving me more to consider when writing the letter.

(and thanks my little one is on the mend, she's been home for a week on antibiotics with a chest infection)