Gun Licence

Old Dec 11th 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Mikescuba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gun Licence

Anyone know how to go about getting a Gun licence here?
I have 6 acres of land and I have inherited a 22 rifle.
I don't want to go hunting with the local hunters here or anything like that I just want to make sure I am legal and have a licence.
I might do a bit of target shooting if I get bored or take the odd shot at a rabbit.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun Licence

Originally Posted by Mikescuba
Anyone know how to go about getting a Gun licence here?
I have 6 acres of land and I have inherited a 22 rifle.
I don't want to go hunting with the local hunters here or anything like that I just want to make sure I am legal and have a licence.
I might do a bit of target shooting if I get bored or take the odd shot at a rabbit.
Firstly are we talking about a .22 air (or CO2) rifle, or a .22lr?

If it's a .22lr can you give me a description of the rifle (Make/Model etc) and I can tell you if it is a category 4 or cat. 7
That's important because if it's a cat. 4 you can't inherit it legally if you don't already hold a Shooting License, and the very first steps to obtaining one is to join a club. And then you will need to apply for a firearms permit.
If it is a .22lr ask the seller (or if deceased, his relations) if the rifle was declared and if so under what category.
If it's a cat.7 declaring it is straightforward, and I can advise on that.

I'm almost certain that one cannot hunt with a .22lr in France - even on private land. I'm not a hunter, so I'll stand to be corrected on this point. (I believe this is due to ballistic reasons but I won't bore you with that here).

Here's a brief run-down on the procedure of obtaining a Cat. 4 (or Cat.1/large bore) permit in France. It ain't easy.......
A hunting permit (other than for .22lr arms) is only obtained after successfully passing 2 exams. The theory exam has questions covering the knowledge of arms and ammunition, French wildlife, knowledge of different hunting techniques, and rules and laws concerning hunting policies and nature protection. There is also a practical exam, covering hunting simulation using blanks, shooting at targets depicting protected and non-protected species or animal, and also shooting at a moving target. Obviously a reasonable knowledge of French for both of these exams is essential.

A Shooting License (Licence de Tir) can only be obtained after being a member of a club, and on receipt the licensee must have a medical examination and get the license counter-signed by a GP.
Regarding obtaining a firearms permit (for Cat. 1 & 4 handguns and rifles) this is not easy - and rightly so. One has to be resident, hold a Licence de Tir and be an active paid up member of a French club for some time with a regularly stamped up club shooting card (Carnet de Tir) before the club president can consider issuing a green card (Avis Prealable) which is effectively a recognition of readiness to apply for the purchase and ownership of a firearm. A written exam based on safety procedures must also be successful. On completion of all this, the full challenge starts - to put together a portfolio of some 10 pages of personal info together with the completion of the official request form (Cerfa No. 5).
For those who rise to and complete this challenge, the portfolio is then hand delivered to your local gendarmerie - who then check all the documents before forwarding to the prefecture. If everything is in order, after a period of time ranging from several weeks to 18 months or more, the firearm permit is then addressed to the applicant - via the issuing gendarmerie who then normally hand deliver the permit.
New documents must be raised and a new portfolio resubmitted for every additional firearm purchase request.

As I am a keen club shooter and firearms permit holder, if there are any potentially interested club shooters reading this and wish for more detailed info, you may PM me.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi. It's a 22lr. Its a Model 1905 22 S.L &LR Manufactured by Savage arms Co UTICA. NYUSA-PAT NOV 28 1905.

I believe he brought it into France from the USA. I wouldn't imagine he would have registered it here in France.
Regards
Mike
Old Dec 11th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Not one that I'm familiar with.
If it's fed by a magazine from underneath and without bolt action, it would be classed as a semi-auto and therefore cat. 4 paragraph iv (licence de tir & firearm permit required).

More likely to be a single-shot manual load by bolt-action, probably with lower magazine. If this is the case it would be a cat. 7 par. ii (licence de tir required).
I advise you take several photos to show a registered gunsmith just to confirm this, as it is he who would register it in your name with the prefecture - once you've obtained the licence.
Needless to say you cannot take legal ownership until you have a valid licence, and registered with the gunsmith.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 11th 2011 at 4:30 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes it is a single shot bolt action, no magazine.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mikescuba
Hi, yes it is a single shot bolt action, no magazine.
Then Cat. 7 par. ii
http://annonces-armes.webmaestru.net...ION-ARMES.html

The fact that it was not previously registered is something that only your gunsmith (or prefecture) can advise on. I advise the first option.

The legislation is complex to say the least. i.e. it doesn't fall into the hunting (even "the odd shot at a rabbit") rifle category (Cat. 5) because it is rim-fire, not centre-fire.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to close out this subject, I can now confirm that one cannot legally hunt with a .22lr in France - even on private land.
This is due to the ammunition's extensive range and also low stopping power.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:06 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Just to close out this subject, I can now confirm that one cannot legally hunt with a .22lr in France - even on private land.
This is due to the ammunition's extensive range and also low stopping power.
That also applies to Air Rifles of any caliber as I understand it and the removal/hunting of vermin is not permited with them either.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
That also applies to Air Rifles of any caliber as I understand it and the removal/hunting of vermin is not permited with them either.
Correct!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:47 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Correct!
And to have a .22 Air Rifle requires "Licence de Tir"
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
And to have a .22 Air Rifle requires "Licence de Tir"
Not always. The rules can be somewhat difficult to interpret.
Only if the power rating exceeds 10 joules does one require a 'licence de tir' for an air or Co2 weapon. Almost all air pistols and rifles readily available are power rated between 2-10 joules and classified for sale as 'libre' (not subject to authorisation) - and classed as Cat. 7(i)
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

It should be noted too that the OP would be unable to purchase .22lr rim-fire ammunition legally in any store here without a relevant permit 'licence de tir'. This is always requested in stores for acquisition and possession.

.22 (5.5mm) or .177 (4.5mm) pellets on the other hand, for air or Co2 weapons are freely obtainable - no permit being required for acquisition or possession.

This month a bill was read in the Senate and a vote adopted which plans on restructuring the 8 categories of weapons to no more than 4, classified according to their real danger. The proposed changes if passed by parliament are expected to become active during 2012, a situation that myself and other sporting shooters and collectors, (and hunters) have or should be following closely.