Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Got Control Technique What Now?

Got Control Technique What Now?

Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold
Default Got Control Technique What Now?

I realise this is often discussed, but am tired and too lazy to search.

I got my control technique today, just sailed through, no new lights or anything, and now need to register in France for a French matriculation. What paperwork do they need and do you have to make an appointment? I understand I have to go to Ceret.
And what about insurance? My English insurance obviously won't cover my new number plate, but I can't insure with the French until I have a new number. Confusing.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:44 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got Control Technique What Now?

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
I realise this is often discussed, but am tired and too lazy to search.

I got my control technique today, just sailed through, no new lights or anything, and now need to register in France for a French matriculation. What paperwork do they need and do you have to make an appointment? I understand I have to go to Ceret.
And what about insurance? My English insurance obviously won't cover my new number plate, but I can't insure with the French until I have a new number. Confusing.
Hmmm...lazyness appears to be an issue here..But heres a link http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?f=76 it should help and another http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-lavie...cle.asp?ID=135 and another www.google.com
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Ka, I'd be more liable to put it down to sheer blooming tiredness, lack of sleep and some long hours this week! But all us lazies look for an excuse lol.

Oh dear, not so sure I still have the receipt of sale, or any proof of import. It all seems a bit more complicated than I expected!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Ka, I'd be more liable to put it down to sheer blooming tiredness, lack of sleep and some long hours this week! But all us lazies look for an excuse lol.

Oh dear, not so sure I still have the receipt of sale, or any proof of import. It all seems a bit more complicated than I expected!
I am intriged on how the lights past.
Your UK insurance will probably only cover you as a tourist for 3 months not as a resident.
You should of exported the vehicle when you left the UK. HERE
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:33 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Your UK insurance will probably only cover you as a tourist for 3 months not as a resident.
Why do the lights make you think.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanage2
Why do the lights make you think.
Well if it is from a RHD country moving to a LHD country the lights usually need changing and they will probably fail them in a test..
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Well if it is from a RHD country moving to a LHD country the lights usually need changing and they will probably fail them in a test..
I agree with JDR. Your original UK headlights will dip down and to the left. Continental headlights should dip to the right.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 7:01 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr

The reason for the question was.

More than ten years ago on a trip to England,we purchased a U.K. regd.car to bring back to France.
On return we took it for a test which like the postings car it passed,it now has had four more tests and all ways has got through without a problem.
On its last test which was only three weeks ago.

Two weeks ago we had a test station open in the village,and they had a open day,went and talked to the tester about car lights.
He said that they test the main beam height only,but if a car comes with plastic pieces on to change things they do not pass it.

P.S.
The five tests have been done at two different stations,and four different people.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 7:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by stanage2
The reason for the question was.

More than ten years ago on a trip to England,we purchased a U.K. regd.car to bring back to France.
On return we took it for a test which like the postings car it passed,it now has had four more tests and all ways has got through without a problem.
On its last test which was only three weeks ago.

Two weeks ago we had a test station open in the village,and they had a open day,went and talked to the tester about car lights.
He said that they test the main beam height only,but if a car comes with plastic pieces on to change things they do not pass it.

P.S.
The five tests have been done at two different stations,and four different people.
All I can say is your lights in the UK must of been well out, I bet you got flashed a lot by traffic coming in the other direction. lol
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 7:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
All I can say is your lights in the UK must of been well out, I bet you got flashed a lot by traffic coming in the other direction. lol
Not really, but then again do-not go out after dark
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apparantly you can change the settings manually on some makes of car, don't ask I don't know which ones. I am just relieved but stanage's explanation about the way they just measure the height makes sense.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Apparantly you can change the settings manually on some makes of car, don't ask I don't know which ones. I am just relieved but stanage's explanation about the way they just measure the height makes sense.
Maybe right, but the beams deflect in the opposite direction.
Everyone I know has had to get new lights for their UK cars when they have been matriculated.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Everyone I know has had to get new lights for their UK cars when they have been matriculated.
In Spain or France
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:53 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
That may be the case but we had a Mitubishi Colt when we moved to France and that did not need its lights changed. Pity the OH wrote it off a week later.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
That may be the case but we had a Mitubishi Colt when we moved to France and that did not need its lights changed. Pity the OH wrote it off a week later.
Oh dear, have you forgiven her yet ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.