Good movies

Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:27 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good movies

I've watched a few crackers lately - Slumdog Millionaire, Ronin, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, Mirrors etc. Just wondering if any of you lot have any particular current favourites?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good movies

Originally Posted by Le Chant
I've watched a few crackers lately - Slumdog Millionaire, Ronin, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, Mirrors etc. Just wondering if any of you lot have any particular current favourites?
Totally agree with 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Brilliant.
So is 'Changeling'. A superb, somewhat disturbing, heartbreaking film. Saw it in the local cinema here in V.O. Well worth a visit.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:51 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Totally agree with 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Brilliant.
So is 'Changeling'. A superb, somewhat disturbing, heartbreaking film. Saw it in the local cinema here in V.O. Well worth a visit.
I have Changeling on DVD ready to watch - looks good. So was 'Gran Torino' with Clint (do you feel lucky, punk) Eastwood!

Cheers for that one....
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:00 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd, ashamed to admit it, but haven't been to cinema for yonks, but looking forward to "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage getting itself onto DVD so can see that.

Self-confessed Phillistine, and sci fi freak so not much around for me at the moment, and still smarting from what some friends said to me when I asked about "Captain Correllis Mandarin" after they went one evening ......... and I didn't even want to know, was only being polite
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Gawd, ashamed to admit it, but haven't been to cinema for yonks, but looking forward to "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage getting itself onto DVD so can see that.

Self-confessed Phillistine, and sci fi freak so not much around for me at the moment, and still smarting from what some friends said to me when I asked about "Captain Correllis Mandarin" after they went one evening ......... and I didn't even want to know, was only being polite
Nope. I haven't been to the cinema in years either Andy. I think the last film I saw at the flicks was American Psycho. Can't be sure.

I'm looking forward to The Knowing too - looks pretty good judging by the trailers.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:50 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Stu, do you get many English movies in cinemas in your area? There seem to be quite a lot of English movies around in Brittany, but I have no idea if the French ever go to them or not! Presumably, you all speak fluent French now anyway, and would generally watch French ones?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Stu, do you get many English movies in cinemas in your area? There seem to be quite a lot of English movies around in Brittany, but I have no idea if the French ever go to them or not! Presumably, you all speak fluent French now anyway, and would generally watch French ones?
Fluent gibberish, yes! French, no! There's a few VO's shown here in Saumur from time to time, but I'm not a cinema go-er anymore Andy! I'd much rather do it the civilised way, in the comfort of my own home, with a decent beer, or G&T and a bag of crisps! I sometimes watch my DVD's of Femmes de l'Ombre, or Amélie, or Mystére. I do watch French telly from time to time, but fail to 'get' alot of stuff.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:09 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Watchmen is my Most enjoyed this year (So Far). Im waiting for The Day the Earth Stood Still to come out on DVD as I missed the cinema showing. Keep meaning to watch Changeling, Watched Ghostown last night and Twilight is on the menu to tonight also looking forwards to seeing Australia which comes out on DVD this month and Yes Man with Jim Carey. The Sequel to the Da Vinci Code " Angels and Demons" comes out soon in the cinema and looks to be a bigger stab at the Vatican Although he spends the film trying to save the Vatican in Rome.

Watching a Film is my Favorite way of winding down or wasting a day hence my DVD collection rivals most Rental Stores im on about 600 + at last count. And now with the Quick release of good TV Shows like Lost Desperate House Wives, Weeds I don't watch it when it airs on Telly I buy the box set and Avoid the Adverts. Also if im really keen to get a DVD thats coming out I get the Region 1 (America and Canada) version which is normally released ahead of the UK or France.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Watchmen is my Most enjoyed this year (So Far). Im waiting for The Day the Earth Stood Still to come out on DVD as I missed the cinema showing. Keep meaning to watch Changeling, Watched Ghostown last night and Twilight is on the menu to tonight also looking forwards to seeing Australia which comes out on DVD this month and Yes Man with Jim Carey. The Sequel to the Da Vinci Code " Angels and Demons" comes out soon in the cinema and looks to be a bigger stab at the Vatican Although he spends the film trying to save the Vatican in Rome.

Watching a Film is my Favorite way of winding down or wasting a day hence my DVD collection rivals most Rental Stores im on about 600 + at last count. And now with the Quick release of good TV Shows like Lost Desperate House Wives, Weeds I don't watch it when it airs on Telly I buy the box set and Avoid the Adverts. Also if im really keen to get a DVD thats coming out I get the Region 1 (America and Canada) version which is normally released ahead of the UK or France.
Seen 'The Day The earth Stood Still'. I thought it was good, but my lad didn't. Seen 'Twilight' too - not that good. Will have a look for 'Watchmen'! Cheers Ka!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Films, I love this subject.

Thought Slumdog was good but not great Loved the scene early on with the kids being chased through the streets. Certainly not a feelgood film as it was marketed.
Grand Torino, Clint's last film that side of the camera, as usual he was excellent if some of the acting by the mhongs was dreadful in places. Predictable story with an ending I didn't see coming. Great film.
Changeling. Thought this was great apart from two things. They could have done without the last ten minutes of non factual stuff that gave the film a weak ending to my mind, plus it seemed that Angelina Jolie thought that she just had to put in a tearful performance to win an oscar. Didn't work last year, nor thankfully this. It interested me enough to look up the real story on the internet.
50 Dead Men Walking. Not sure when it's out but this was good. Based on true story of a NI catholic who was non political but was "talked into" spying for the British. A bit violent in places if I remember but well worth a watch.
Boy in Striped Pyjamas, excellent if taken at face value, don't analyse it or you'll be asking questions of "if he could do that why couldn't the prisoners?" "Where were the guards all the while they sat talking?" etc. Great performances by Vera Farmiga as the wife that looked at her husband a hero then knowing the truth being absolutely devastated and by David Thwelis the dad trying to be the family man and in charge of a death camp.
Vera Farmiga was also excellent in Nothing But the Truth, a story of a newspaper reporter hounded by the establishment for outing a story on the government and refusing to give her sources.
The Reader, Kate Winslet gave a good performance in this even if her make up at the end was a bit dodgy lol. A love story about a youngster that falls for an older woman only to find out some nasty truths about her. Winslet's costume designer wouldn't win any awards as she spends a large amount of the film naked!
Clubbed, set in Coventry in the eighties based on the true story of someone that worked his way up from being constantly bullied to a top doorman in the cities clubs. Violent in places, it has a great soundtrack and a great performance by Maxine Peak (Veronica in Shameless).
Crime Spree, an old film with Gerard Depardieu, Johnny Hallyday, Harvey Keitel about some terrible French crooks who are sent to do one big job in the USA. Here they cross just about everyone and it had me laughing from the opening scene. Excellent film for an evenings light entertainment. Some of it is in French but the majority in English.
Australia, biggest heap of pooh I've seen in ages. You think it's finishing three times and are disappointed it isn't. The story is sooo bloody predictable, the acting average, a couple of them seem to be just going through the motions, and the CGI looks like a colour blind hippy on acid has done it. Absolutely dreadful film that is about three hours too long. Only watched it as long as I did because I'm shallow and Nicole Kidman was in it.;o)

Nearly forgot, Valkyrie. Tom Cruise isn't my favorite actor but he's ok in this story of one of the many assasination attempts on Hitler. He is acted off the screen though by greats from the UK such as Bill Nighy and even Eddie Izzard!!!! I learnt a lot from this film and wasn't aware the plot got as far down the line as it did.

Have got MR 73 lined up, French film with Daniel Autiel. And yes I do watch a lot of films lol.

Last edited by Collioure_Bee; Apr 11th 2009 at 4:37 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I got my small claim to fame yesterday. Went to the cinema last night to watch Cheri (not the best of films), but because they purchased a photograph from me to use in the opening intro, I found they'd put me in their list of credits at the end of the film.

I can't say I've seen anything that's really blown me away. I enjoyed the last Batman film, Che Part I (not quite so much part II) and Burn After Reading.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Just watched an Iraq war film The Hurt Locker. Very tense film all the way through, starring Guy Pearce and Ralph Hiennes (sp?) It's about a team that detonate roadside bombs and follows their fortunes as an adreneline junkie joins. Well filmed and well acted.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
Just watched an Iraq war film The Hurt Locker. Very tense film all the way through, starring Guy Pearce and Ralph Hiennes (sp?) It's about a team that detonate roadside bombs and follows their fortunes as an adreneline junkie joins. Well filmed and well acted.
That's Guy Pearce of Aussie Neighbours fame?
I've not heard of this one..
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Dunno about the neighbours fame, it came out late last year apparantly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887912/

Started watching American History X last night. About a bunch of right wing idiot skinheads and how one sees how wrong things are, and tries to stop his brother falling into the same trap. Really good so far.

Fifty Dead Men Walking is out this week by the looks, just seen it reviewed in the papers this morning.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:25 am

Saw 'American History X' a good few years ago and thought it was brilliant. Violent, but good.

Guy Pearce is of Neighbours fame, and is a really, really good actor. He was good in 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert', and also in 'LA Confidential' - one of my faves!

Well done on your movie credit Gav!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.