Reload this Page >

getting work in france

Wikiposts

getting work in france

Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Exmoor Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting work in france

Hi,we are moving to the dordogne,St Aulay area,and having been a builder for 25 years,I'm wondering if there are many work opportunities there or whether i might have to think about doing something else to earn a crust?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:43 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting work in france

Originally Posted by Exmoor Lad
Hi,we are moving to the dordogne,St Aulay area,and having been a builder for 25 years,I'm wondering if there are many work opportunities there or whether i might have to think about doing something else to earn a crust?
Welcome to the Forum

Finding any work in the current climate is pretty hard so bring a decent buffer with you and an open mind building here is not the same as the UK.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
When you say "we", are you just a couple or have you got children?
I can't help re work opportunities in the Dordogne, can just say that unemployment rates are much higher in France than in the UK and that you'd have stiff competition from qualified French and even expat builders.
Do you speak French? Are you thinking of setting yourself up as an Auto-Entrepreneur?
You must consider the family's heathcare coverage.
You don't say when you are actually moving to the Dordogne, but you should ensure your potential income before you arrive, or bring over enough savings to survive a year (about 17,000 € for a couple for the bare necessities). There'll be no safety net in Government benefits or allowances like in the UK (unless you have 2 or more children of school age).
Sorry to be pessimistic, but I'm being realistic. The economic situation is very bleak here....
P.S. I've just looked up St Aulaye - it's a Commune with a hundred or so more inhabitants than my own Commune (large village). You may find you'll have to travel far to find work....

Last edited by dmu; Apr 5th 2013 at 5:10 am.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi,thanks for your answers,honesty is what I was hoping for,certainly don;t want to be told the streets are paved with gold!
We are hoping to be there by september,then work full time on our house renovation for about 6 months,we have a healthy "safety net" and a modest income from property here,I do,however,like working!
there's three of us,myself,my wife and teenage son who is a trainee mechanic,although he is aware that he may have to think again if he wants to come with us(which he does),his only worry is being able to play rugby!
Thanks again!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

his only worry is being able to play rugby!
Thanks again!
He's sure to find a local club to play in and most of the rugby vocab is in English anyway! I'd be more concerned about mastering French mechanical terms and finding an apprenticeship....
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

So would I,but then,I'm not a teenager!Luckily he's at a good age to learn and has done french at school,he also has the option of an open job here if he decides to come back,lucky lad!He plays county rugby,so that shouldn't be a problem!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:09 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

So would I,but then,I'm not a teenager!Luckily he's at a good age to learn and has done french at school,he also has the option of an open job here if he decides to come back,lucky lad!He plays county rugby,so that shouldn't be a problem!
If he plays at County level he'll be feted at Club level here. He might want to check out the Club at Riberac, some 20 mins from St Aulaye.