Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Getting a French Passport Through a Parent

Getting a French Passport Through a Parent

Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

handslikesecrets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a French Passport Through a Parent

I was born & raised in England until I was 14, when I moved to the USA (step-father is American, mother re-married), and now I am a naturalized US citizen.
My father is half French, and I, as his son, was on his passport (literally, there was a little photo of me in his French passport) until I was a certain age as a child.
I currently have a British & USA passports.
I am heading back to England in April for a few months.
I would like to get a French passport. Do I need to pass any sort of test, will I be required to speak French, and will there be any obligations (specifically, national service)? Obviously, I am not a French citizen, so how does that work? Am I still eligible?
I'm not very familiar with the rules as far as passports are concerned. Will I just be required to go to the embassy and apply for my French passport? I know it's not a necessity by any means, but it could be useful.
Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a French Passport Through a Parent

Originally Posted by handslikesecrets
I was born & raised in England until I was 14, when I moved to the USA (step-father is American, mother re-married), and now I am a naturalized US citizen.
My father is half French, and I, as his son, was on his passport (literally, there was a little photo of me in his French passport) until I was a certain age as a child.
I currently have a British & USA passports.
I am heading back to England in April for a few months.
I would like to get a French passport. Do I need to pass any sort of test, will I be required to speak French, and will there be any obligations (specifically, national service)? Obviously, I am not a French citizen, so how does that work? Am I still eligible?
I'm not very familiar with the rules as far as passports are concerned. Will I just be required to go to the embassy and apply for my French passport? I know it's not a necessity by any means, but it could be useful.
Thanks for any help!
Don't think you will be allowed to hold 3 passports by the UK.
As has been said on the USA forum, you simply do not need a french passport in Europe.
As a UK passport holder, the only reason you need to show your EU passport when entering or leaving France is because the UK is a non-shengen country. (Google it) Otherwise you are as free to travel in the EU without any visa requirements as you are travelling from New York to LA.
Why do you want a french passport???
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there was a thread not long ago about a UK citizen wanting a French Passport.
I'm dual-nationality by marriage and the only advantage of "being French" is that I can vote in all the elections. If you aren't intending to live in France, there's no point in wasting the time, energy and money necessary to obtain a Passport, even if you are eligible.
If you really want to, then consult your nearest French Consulate and be prepared to provide a ton of paperwork, including your father's birth/marriage certificates, possibly French grandparents' birth/marriage certificates.....
Good luck!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at the previous thread on this topic.

Assuming EU freedom of movement is here to stay, documenting French citizenship is likely to be useful only if long-term residence in France is the aim. However, French (and therefore EU) citzenship can be inherited by multiple generations born abroad, which isn't the case with British citizenship. There will also be some minor differences in third-country visa requirements, but that is unlikely to be useful.

Originally Posted by cyrian
It's perfectly legal under UK law, and indeed does occur when people are recognised as citizens by two or more other countries.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

My error. I thought that I had read this somewhere.
However, the USA does not encourage even dual nationality for its citizens although it is not prohibited.
Have a look here: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_778.html
Apparently you have to have the agreement of the other states when you apply for an additional citizenship.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Applying for and attaining french nationality is a complex and lengthy process. We have done it and it has taken more than three years -and we still have not had the 'ceremony' and got our final papers.

You have to be resident for five years before you can even apply. They go into every single aspect of your life, check all financial and police records, assess your fluency in french. We were interviewed at the gendarmarie and at the Préfecture. You have to prove that your income is generated in France and is sufficient for you to live on. We had to provide evidence of our level of integration in the community, including a letter from our Maire. Certainly not for the faint hearted, anyone with anything to hide, or on a whim because it would be nice.

The place to start, as with many other things, is here http://www.service-public.fr/ where you will find 'from the horses' mouth' information, including instructions and application forms.

Unless one is really committed to being a permanent immigrant, I hardly think that it would be worth even considering.

Last edited by cupoftea; Feb 22nd 2013 at 3:39 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

With such a strange name the OP may have nefarious reasons for wanting different passports. They could help you 'disappear' or could fetch good money in Bulgaria.
Other than for avoiding long queues at Charles de Gaulle immigration there does not seem much point in having one.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:39 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I've just realised that the OP asked the same question in November 2011. Is he hoping for more encouraging advice this time?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

handslikesecrets is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, my question wasn't fully answered last time and I was just contemplating it- now I'm making the move, and all my questions have been answered. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Applying for and attaining french nationality is a complex and lengthy process. We have done it and it has taken more than three years -and we still have not had the 'ceremony' and got our final papers.
The OP is asking about documenting French citizenship inherited from his father, not applying for naturalisation.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

My error. I thought that I had read this somewhere.
Well, people keep saying it on these forums. :-)

However, the USA does not encourage even dual nationality for its citizens although it is not prohibited.

Have a look here: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_778.html
The USA used to be more intolerant of multiple citizenship but doesn't seem to care much these days as long as US citizens present themselves as such at the border.

This unofficial FAQ is quite detailed: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Apparently you have to have the agreement of the other states when you apply for an additional citizenship.
The point being made there is that the USA is not responsible for what happens to your citizenship status under the laws of other countries, and that you should check what's likely to happen with the relevant authorities.

Some countries (e.g. Austria, South Africa) do require an application to be made to retain citizenship when naturalising elsewhere. Many do not.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brioche
The OP is asking about documenting French citizenship inherited from his father, not applying for naturalisation.
I understand this, but if the application wa

Last edited by cupoftea; Feb 23rd 2013 at 7:14 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brioche
I understand this, but if the application was not made whilst the OP was a minor, I am not sure how the half-french father affects his application now. As I read the information, he would need to make a regular application for naturalisation, in which case it might be considered a factor in his favour. I am very happy to be corrrected on this if I have misunderstood.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cupoftea
I understand this, but if the application was not made whilst the OP was a minor, I am not sure how the half-french father affects his application now. As I read the information, he would need to make a regular application for naturalisation, in which case it might be considered a factor in his favour. I am very happy to be corrrected on this if I have misunderstood.
Ah, OK.

The other thread appeared inconclusive to me about whether citizenship by descent had to be documented under French law while a minor, and I can't find any clear information on French government websites.

If it's the former (as seems likely) then it's still possible that the relevant records were made when the OP was entered on his father's French passport, in which case a birth certificate should be obtainable from the register office in Nantes.