Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Garage for CT test

Garage for CT test

Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:20 am
Just Joined

jack_russell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Garage for CT test

can anyone recommend a garage (preferably English speaking) in Menton that can do a CT on a RHD car?
Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garage for CT test

Garages don't do CTs, you have to go to a CT testing station.
Any CT station will test a RHD car as long as you have the carte grise.
Can't help with English speaking but there isn't usually a lot to discuss. They will know as soon as you walk in that you want to make an appointment for a CT because that is all they do. Then they will do the test and give you the results and that is about it. If work is necessary they are not the ones to discuss it with because CT statiions don't do repairs.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can book a CT online for certain CT stations.
You will be given (or select) a day and time and remember to take your carte grise.
Unlike the UK, you cannot do the test in advance and preserve your original date.
The date of the CT will determine the required date in 2 years time.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that was my understanding that unlike in the UK where a lot of garages do their own MOT testing, in France there are specilaised centres for it. I understood though that you could take a car to a garage and they would then take it for the CT test for you but if I understand you correctly, you would recommend dealing with the CT centre directly.

The only issue I am expecting is the headlamp alignment, they are still set for the UK. I do not know if there is sufficient adjustment in the ones fitted to passor I would have to replace the headlamps.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:47 am
Just Joined

I also am still in the process of registering the car in France so i do not have the grey card yet but I still have my UK V5.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

You could explain that you need the CT for re registration in France

"pouvez -vous faite une controle technique pour l'immatriculation en France s'il vous plait"

Note that in order to re reg the car you do not need a "Pass" just show that you have had it done in the last six months and that any period for a retest indicated on the document has not been exceeded

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Nov 10th 2021 at 2:03 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply. I have sent papers off to ANTS and I am waiting to get a response from them. The car is just under 4 years old at the moment so technically I do not need it for the re-registration, if they use the date of the application. But I will need to get it done regardless because of the insurance, it is insured with a French company. I will explain the situation to the CT centre and as long as they record it with the VIN number there shouldn't be a problem as and when the reg number changes.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack_russell
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that was my understanding that unlike in the UK where a lot of garages do their own MOT testing, in France there are specilaised centres for it. I understood though that you could take a car to a garage and they would then take it for the CT test for you but if I understand you correctly, you would recommend dealing with the CT centre directly.

The only issue I am expecting is the headlamp alignment, they are still set for the UK. I do not know if there is sufficient adjustment in the ones fitted to passor I would have to replace the headlamps.
As you say you're not sure if there is sufficient adjustment in the headlights currently fitted, have you actually found an adjusting screw for both headlghts? In that case you may be lucky and can try and make the adjustment yourself - Google 'Comment Régler vos Phares de Voiture' or something similar.
In the longer term though I reckon that a change of headlights will be necessary.
As already indicated, "Pouvez -vous faite une controle technique pour l'immatriculation en France s'il vous plait." should be well understood. However for total correctness that should read "Pouvez -vous faire un controle technique pour l'immatriculation en France s'il vous plait". Or even better, 'Pourriez-vous faire un controle technique etc.....
Could you please eventually give some feed-back on how you get on, as that could be valuable info for others.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 7:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
As you say you're not sure if there is sufficient adjustment in the headlights currently fitted, have you actually found an adjusting screw for both headlghts? In that case you may be lucky and can try and make the adjustment yourself - Google 'Comment Régler vos Phares de Voiture' or something similar.
In the longer term though I reckon that a change of headlights will be necessary.
As already indicated, "Pouvez -vous faite une controle technique pour l'immatriculation en France s'il vous plait." should be well understood. However for total correctness that should read "Pouvez -vous faire un controle technique pour l'immatriculation en France s'il vous plait". Or even better, 'Pourriez-vous faire un controle technique etc.....
Could you please eventually give some feed-back on how you get on, as that could be valuable info for others.
Thank you for correcting the French! I hesitated to do so without contributing to the subject, as the French would have been understood, but best in the long run for grammar to be correct!
Old Nov 11th 2021, 11:43 am
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is a UK car I think you will definitely need to change the headlights as the UK fitted ones will "dip" to the wrong side
Old Nov 11th 2021, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Garage for CT test

Faite/faire it was a a fat finger problem or even gros doigt