Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Fuel situation in France

Fuel situation in France

Old Oct 19th 2022, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Phill66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel situation in France

Hi all, have finally received our visa's and are planning to travel down to our property in Confolens this weekend. We are slightly concerned of the fuel situation in France at the moment as we should have enough fuel to get us there but as we are also bringing a hire van to transport part of our belongings we need to return the van within one week, also as we are bringing the dogs with us anyone suggest a preferred route that has plenty of rest area's and fuel.

Looking forward to any information / suggestions

Thanks Phill
Old Oct 19th 2022, 6:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fuel situation in France

Originally Posted by Phill66
Hi all, have finally received our visa's and are planning to travel down to our property in Confolens this weekend. We are slightly concerned of the fuel situation in France at the moment as we should have enough fuel to get us there but as we are also bringing a hire van to transport part of our belongings we need to return the van within one week, also as we are bringing the dogs with us anyone suggest a preferred route that has plenty of rest area's and fuel.

Thanks Phill
Hi, maybe you should ask again in the France forum? I personally can't help, as there haven't been any problems at the pumps in my neck of the woods, but members along your route will be able to advise....

Old Oct 19th 2022, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Phill
Although it was over a week coming back now, I drove from Spain past Perpignan to Cherbourg and didn't notice any problems. Driving down the week before that, there was only a longer queue because prices at one petrol station were very cheap compared to others. I only drove motorway so problems might be more rural and in towns.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think that your shortest journey would be from Caen.
The motorway down to Tours is relatively quiet with several rest areas.
I came back to the UK two weeks ago and the motorway service areas seemed to be ok for fuel.
It was the towns and supermarkets that were closed.
There is a map online which gives the areas where there is a problem.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Phill66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to mention that we are traveling via the euro tunnel Folkstone to Calais, all information at this time fully appreciated
Old Oct 19th 2022, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that we are traveling via the euro tunnel Folkstone to Calais, all information at this time fully appreciated
Thanks for that.
The fuel blockade is getting worse in the Picardy and Normandie areas.
From the tunnel, I use the A16 followed by A28 through Rouen.
Rouen can be a bit tricky and the tunnels are down to one lane each way at the moment but there is a nice new service area just after Rouen
At Le Mans, you join the A11 for 7 miles then rejoin the A28 to Tours where you join the A10 to Poitiers.
There are some rest areas (toilets) and service areas along the route.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Just over a week ago I had to queue for 45 minutes in town to get fuel, the situation was a bit chaotic, but the following day I passed through Confolens, and the petrol station there had plenty of fuel and with no queues... It's been a bit of a lottery, but no real major problems in this neck of the woods. I'd be more concerned around Île-de-France, but I suspect you will be just fine... Don't know if you're on diesel or petrol - if it's the former, expect prices to be slightly eye watering.

Just be aware there are major roadworks in Confolens at the moment. You can't cross the usual bridge, so are diverted across pont-vieux, the old bridge that's normally pedestrian only, although I do remember years ago when it was previously open to vehicles. That bridge is one way though, so it's a big detour and a lot of cobbled streets (bit of a bone shaker).There's signs to stop lorries going though the town, but the other day a large Portuguese vehicle didn't pay attention, followed the deviation that takes you under a low bridge, which it couldn't pass, and caused a massive traffic situation.
If you want to escape Confolens in the other sense, you have to drive all the way up towards Intermache and follow the deviation signs for a considerable way and then it's possible to cross the newer bridge, past the cinema, in one sense only. The works are ongoing until January.
https://www.charentelibre.fr/charent...n-12667559.php

Last edited by G-J-B; Oct 24th 2022 at 6:58 am.