Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Frenchconnectionshcb- anyone used them?

Frenchconnectionshcb- anyone used them?

Old Jul 7th 2021, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frenchconnectionshcb- anyone used them?

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Make sure you never put any personal info through the free version of DeepL though, because it stores the source text and uses it to "learn" from, and occasionally it will offer it to someone else as a translation..
One of the things machine translations still aren't totally reliable on when translating from French to English is when a "ne" without a "pas" makes the phrase negative and when it doesn't. In French it's a stylistic device and wouldn't cause confusion to a human, but getting it wrong can totally reverse the meaning. If something's important I think it's still worth backtranslating - putting the translation into the tool and getting it to translate it back into the original language.
Yeah, it’s not foolproof.
I used it last week to help me translate a letter in Russian from my brother-in-law to an insurance company. It was great apart from the bit where it couldn’t cope with the Russian word for abrasions « ssadiny » and said he « walked away from the accident with bruises and sardines ».
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Bruises and sardines, that's a good one LOL.
I get many a laugh out of my CAT tool, which to be fair knows a lot of things that I don't and comes up with some really good ideas and I think Wow this is such a great tool. Then it makes a hilarious blunder that just cracks me up.
The worst thing about it is that it will keep translating people's names. Maurice Knight doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Maurice Chevalier.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Maurice Knight doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Maurice Chevalier.
Love it!

Bazzer70, my apologies. I feel like I’ve hijacked your thread. Come back and talk to us. Which part of France are you moving to?
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your comments
I have to admit I often start to get cold feet but life is not a rehearsal - each day that passes I am a day older! (Strange that)
I often jokingly say that it would actually be so nice to live somewhere where I don’t understand the language and then I can pretend all this wokery that is taking over Britain doesn’t exist elsewhere.
I’ll keep you informed on how I get on - latest plans for a while now is to rent a few months at a time.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzer70
I have to admit I often start to get cold feet but life is not a rehearsal - each day that passes I am a day older! (Strange that)
I often jokingly say that it would actually be so nice to live somewhere where I don’t understand the language and then I can pretend all this wokery that is taking over Britain doesn’t exist elsewhere.
I’ll keep you informed on how I get on - latest plans for a while now is to rent a few months at a time.
Good plan.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It actually isn't as bad here. The debate is happening but in a less hysterical and more rational (IMHO) way.
I just don't see how it's possible to ever feel at home in a place where you don't know what's going on around you. I would find it confusing and anxiety-inducing and not nice at all. But then I'm not even entirely comfortable holidaying in places where I don't understand what the signs and notices are telling me, and I couldn't make myself understood if necessary and get the gist of what people say to me. Having my bag snatched in Italy was one of my worst nightmares come true, I had a lot of difficulty even asking directions to the police station and finding my way there, and that was just the start. The police soon got impatient with my efforts to tell them what had happened, they treated me like a stupid needy tourist which I suppose I was, and tried to brush me away. Being stranded in a foreign country with no passport, no phone, no money, no bank cards is never going to be fun but not being able to communicate made it worse.

I agree that renting is the best way to start out. You say you've visted France extensively so you probably have a fairly good idea of whereabouts you want to be, but ideally you should get to know a place in all seasons before you commit yourself to a purchase, and make sure that you're happy with how easy it will be access to the services you will need - medical, shops, leisure activities etc.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jul 8th 2021 at 8:08 am.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Bruises and sardines, that's a good one LOL.
I get many a laugh out of my CAT tool, which to be fair knows a lot of things that I don't and comes up with some really good ideas and I think Wow this is such a great tool. Then it makes a hilarious blunder that just cracks me up.
The worst thing about it is that it will keep translating people's names. Maurice Knight doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Maurice Chevalier.
There's nothing better than this to create a smile first thing in the morning.
The devil-in-me, thought to test it further. I occasionally use 'Google traduction', and typed in one of the world's most strangest, authentic names, a gentleman called Dick Assman.
The Google translation was even more amusing than I ever imagined. As this is a family forum, I hesitate to reproduce the result.........
Have a good day!
Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Could one of you with one of these machine translators find out what "wokery" means in English. I assume it's something to do with Chinese restaurants?
Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

What does the word woke mean in Urban Dictionary?

1. Now chiefly: "alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice." The Urban Dictionary, however, simply says: "Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)." To summarise: woke means a person is consciously awake.
Wokery is the act of being woke. That includes being in a Chinese restaurant.

2. What does wokery mean in African American slang?

What does Wokery mean? : a person who flits about in social activity. In this regard, what does woke mean in 2019? Woke is a slang term that is easing into the mainstream from some varieties of a dialect called African American Vernacular English (sometimes called AAVE).

Last edited by cyrian; Jul 8th 2021 at 9:12 am.