Reload this Page >

French wage received with 600€ paid in taxes - confused

French wage received with 600€ paid in taxes - confused

Old Aug 28th 2020, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

FrancophileEU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French wage received with 600€ paid in taxes - confused

Hi British Expats,

I am having trouble understanding why I paid 600€ in taxes for a minimum wage contract working 36 hours in France.
instead of receiving approximately 1300€ after tax from a 1600€ monthly income, I only recieved 1000€ ?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ways to protest this I would very much like to hear.

Best wishes and stay safe
Old Aug 28th 2020, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French wage received with 600€ paid in taxes - confused

What codes does your payslip show against each deduction? That's the only way to know for sure what the deductions are for. Without that info I doubt anyone can advise.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 6:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrancophileEU
Hi British Expats,

I am having trouble understanding why I paid 600€ in taxes for a minimum wage contract working 36 hours in France.
instead of receiving approximately 1300€ after tax from a 1600€ monthly income, I only recieved 1000€ ?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ways to protest this I would very much like to hear.

Best wishes and stay safe
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
As ET says, check your payslip to see which sum corresponds to what. Remember that some will be for your PAYE income tax (which will depend on your matrimonial/family situation), and some for the employee's charges sociales which cover Social Security, Mutuelle, at least 2 pensions, unemployment, and others.
It does sound high, though, esp. as, at that salary, you can't be a cadre (who pays into at least 2 other pension funds).
If you can't sort out the codes/figures, ask your employer's Accountant for explanations, and go on from there. But I'd advise not to approach him/her with a "protesting" attitude!
Old Aug 29th 2020, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

But you must have payslips.
Which should show the gross amount at the top, the itemised deductions, and the net amount at the bottom.
So it should be possible to see exactly what each deduction is and how it's been calculated. Then you can identify any that seem too high or shouldn't be deducted at all, and query those.
I doubt they would want to respond to general queries saying Why have you deducted 600€? because it would take somebody ages to write literally pages and pages explaining what every deduction is for and how it's calculated, and all the info is on the payslip in any case You need to specify which deductions you don't agree with, then they should answer.
I'm also a bit confused by your reference to a 36 hour contract, it should be 35 hours, but maybe that was a typo.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
But you must have payslips.
Which should show the gross amount at the top, the itemised deductions, and the net amount at the bottom.
So it should be possible to see exactly what each deduction is and how it's been calculated. Then you can identify any that seem too high or shouldn't be deducted at all, and query those.
I doubt they would want to respond to general queries saying Why have you deducted 600€? because it would take somebody ages to write literally pages and pages explaining what every deduction is for and how it's calculated, and all the info is on the payslip in any case You need to specify which deductions you don't agree with, then they should answer.
I'm also a bit confused by your reference to a 36 hour contract, it should be 35 hours, but maybe that was a typo.
>>Yes it was a typo, 35 hour working week.

"possible to see exactly what each deduction is " -

They appear to have deducted food which was agreed to be included -
AeN nourriture - 16.00
and Absense pour entree.sortie - 428.11

Everything else looks normal!?

What codes does your payslip show against each deduction? That's the only way to know for sure what the deductions are for. Without that info I doubt anyone can advise.
Code's I have are

Code Naf: 5510Z

I have attached the Bulletin de Salaire:

Old Aug 29th 2020, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Too small for me to read I'm afraid.
There is an explanation of the absence/sortie deduction here http://www.microfirst2.free.fr/logic...mule_ABSES.pdf
I haven't read it in detail but from a quick scan it looks like it's what happens when you join or leave a company, and the pay period doesn't exactly co-incide with the start/end date of your contract. For instance if the pay period is the first to the last day of the month, and your contract started on the 8th, obvously they would make a deduction. Is that your situation?
If they've charged you for food and your contract says it's included, you should query that.
If you are absolutely convince they are cheating you, contact the inspecteur du travail at the DIRECCTE for your region, but only do that if you're sure you are right, and warn the company that you're intending to do so - most companies would do anything to avoid a visit from DIRECCTE.
(The code NAF is your employer's business activity code, it's not relevant to your pay.)
Old Aug 29th 2020, 10:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

It looks as though the 428,44€ deducted for "absence pour entrée/sortie" is causing most of the mystery. What does this type of absence mean exactly?
I'm a bit confused by the "indemnité compensatrice de congés payés" and the mention "fin de contrat", which to me implies that you aren't employed there any more?
Explain what this "absence pour entrée/sortie" is, and we might be able to help more!

Post crossed with ET's!! If what she says applies to you, then there's not much you can do about it....

Last edited by dmu; Aug 29th 2020 at 10:36 am.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
I'm a bit confused by the "indemnité compensatrice de congés payés" and the mention "fin de contrat", which to me implies that you aren't employed there any more?
You've got better eyesight than me DMU!
OK so maybe it's a sortie rather than an entree - did you leave part way through a pay period?
I guess if you've left, the other entry DMU mentions must be holiday pay in compensation paid leave accrued but not taken.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK so maybe it's a sortie rather than an entree - did you leave part way through a pay period?
I guess if you've left, the other entry DMU mentions must be holiday pay in compensation paid leave accrued but not taken.

I've worn glasses since I was about 3!!
I don't remember what I did, a few clicks here and there, and, lo and behold, a legible document appeared!!
P.S. I've just noticed that the meals are balanced out in the two columns, so nothing to claim there....

Last edited by dmu; Aug 29th 2020 at 11:37 am.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

This should be better to read -
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

So you have to pay some kind of sortie tax upon leaving? It was a month contract. I had one day off each of the last 3 weeks. Worked a full 7days the first week.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
It looks as though the 428,44€ deducted for "absence pour entrée/sortie" is causing most of the mystery. What does this type of absence mean exactly?
Explain what this "absence pour entrée/sortie" is, and we might be able to help more!

Post crossed with ET's!! If what she says applies to you, then there's not much you can do about it....
Have no idea what this is - "absence pour entrée/sortie"
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that!
Anyway, the 428,44€ doesn't concern either Income Tax (which you haven't had to pay) or social charges. It's for the "absence pour entrée/sortie".
If ET's explanation in #6 doesn't correspond, we'll try again!

P.S. This crossed with your recent posts. I'm still a bit confused with the figures, as a 35-hour week doesn't correspond to the "monthly" hours indicated on the payslip. And you haven't said how many hours weren't worked during the 3 days off.
These are just questions to help you calculate - I'm hopeless at arithmetic, so I'll say over and out. Except to say, be very careful before taking official steps - make absolutely sure that your complaint is justified!

Last edited by dmu; Aug 29th 2020 at 12:17 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Too small for me to read I'm afraid.
There is an explanation of the absence/sortie deduction here http://www.microfirst2.free.fr/logic...mule_ABSES.pdf
I haven't read it in detail but from a quick scan it looks like it's what happens when you join or leave a company, and the pay period doesn't exactly co-incide with the start/end date of your contract. For instance if the pay period is the first to the last day of the month, and your contract started on the 8th, obvously they would make a deduction. Is that your situation?
If they've charged you for food and your contract says it's included, you should query that.
If you are absolutely convince they are cheating you, contact the inspecteur du travail at the DIRECCTE for your region, but only do that if you're sure you are right, and warn the company that you're intending to do so - most companies would do anything to avoid a visit from DIRECCTE.
(The code NAF is your employer's business activity code, it's not relevant to your pay.)
THanks for the all information.
>>For instance if the pay period is the first to the last day of the month, and your contract started on the 8th, obvously they would make a deduction.
yes exactly, the contract paperwork itself was from the 8th to the end of the month, I worked the 7 days prior to that, but so far, it appears I worked for free that week?
Old Aug 29th 2020, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

They asked me to sign the Bulletin du Salaire at the end, but I didn't. Because I knew something wasn't right. If I did sign it - the Inspecteur du Travaux would no doubt NOT be interested.

Still totally unclear as to what this is absence pour entrée/sortie and why it was so much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.