French values

Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French values

Worth bearing in mind that the Charlie Hebdo trials are ongoing, so it's not as if the teacher introduced this subject matter gratuitously.
I wasn't there either but my best guess would be that the thrust of the lesson was something like, Which of these cartoons do you find acceptable and which do you not find acceptable?
In the big bad world these kids are going to be exposed to everything that's out there. I absolutely do feel that "controlled exposure" to this kind of material in the classroom, for instance a class discussion on how to react to something you find unacceptable, is good preparation.

Tweedie,you are correct, I would have absolutely no use fir a wife.
Although saying that... xomeone to cook and clean for me would be nice .
Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:53 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
"The showing of a caricature of a religious leader in the nude was bound to receive a strong reaction."
Only because the people the teacher was showing it to seem to think they're entitled to repond with physical violence.
I was brought up as a staunch Northern Irish Protestant in a school run by Methodists. You could have shown my class a caricature of Ian Paisley or Jesus in the altogether and we probably would have had a good chortle. There would have been a few angry letters from parents. End of story.

I guess my problem with your attitude is that it requires us to apply double standards. Going so far with one group, while treating another with kid gloves. I know we all do this on a personal level, every day in our interaction with each other. I'll take liberties with one friend that I wouldn't with another. When the media and the Establishment starting doing it and it becomes a widely accepted practice, though, that's a different matter.

I see Spitting Image is back. Not sure how easy it will be to view it from France but I for one will be hoping they have the b*lls not to reserve their savage satire for Christians and the pale-skinned and that ethnic minorities are as well represented among the butts of their humour as they - quite rightly - want to be in other areas of TV.
So, we agree to disagree.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

This thread seems to be more appropriate to TIO than the French forum.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:59 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Worth bearing in mind that the Charlie Hebdo trials are ongoing, so it's not as if the teacher introduced this subject matter gratuitously.
I wasn't there either but my best guess would be that the thrust of the lesson was something like, Which of these cartoons do you find acceptable and which do you not find acceptable?
In the big bad world these kids are going to be exposed to everything that's out there. I absolutely do feel that "controlled exposure" to this kind of material in the classroom, for instance a class discussion on how to react to something you find unacceptable, is good preparation.

Tweedie,you are correct, I would have absolutely no use fir a wife.
Although saying that... xomeone to cook and clean for me would be nice .
If the thrust of the lesson were along those lines then I can see the basis of a discussion about free speech and expression. Neither of us know if that is the case. Maybe we will find out one day.

Last edited by KJMW; Oct 19th 2020 at 8:29 am.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 8:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cyrian
This thread seems to be more appropriate to TIO than the French forum.
The discussion is perfectly civil. No one is being offensive, just expressing their views and it did happen in France after all! No, for me the French forum is fine.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 8:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Incidentally, I seem to remember Charlie Hebdo laying into the Catholic Church on more than one occasion. But I don’t recall any beheadings. Or even non-Catholics expressing sympathy for the targets of the cartoons and worrying them feeling “quite insulted”.
There were many caricatures of Jesus Christ in the past, but I don't recollect any offended Christians massacring Charlie Hebdo's staff or other sickening atrocities. Likewise caricatures of Jewish Rabbis...
IMO all the caricatures are pictorially hideous, whoever were depicted, and the contexts often outrageous and borderline, but it's over-the-top to take revenge in such a fashion.
P.S. Politicians weren't spared - a quick search showed a particularly awful one of Sarkozy. On the other hand, I couldn't find the caricature of Mohamet in the nude which was the cause of the tragedy....

Last edited by dmu; Oct 19th 2020 at 8:35 am.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
If the thrust of the lesson were along those lines then I can see the basis of a discussion about free speech and expression. Neither of us know if that is the case. Maybe we will find out one day.
Maybe we will..
I was assuming that was the lesson because I know the curriculum definitely does includes learning about free expression.
I'm not aware that the curriculum includes learning about Muslim culture although I suppose it might come into it, in some form or another..
Old Oct 19th 2020, 12:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we will..
I was assuming that was the lesson because I know the curriculum definitely does includes learning about free expression.
I'm not aware that the curriculum includes learning about Muslim culture although I suppose it might come into it, in some form or another..
My two were taught about the three main religions - Christian, Jewish, Muslim (in no particular order) - early on in Collège in History class, in the same way as Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome. Simply the facts, forming part of general culture.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
.... somehow I doubt very much that ETrash has a 'wife'....
Are you expressing a personal view that is in accordance with French values, or contray to them?
Old Oct 21st 2020, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

However, Christians have a history of persecuting Jews. I guess the Muslims are just catching up.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 8:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by malcom1970
However, Christians have a history of persecuting Jews. I guess the Muslims are just catching up.
Question of vocabulary here, there's a difference between decent, law-abiding Muslims and fanatic radical Islamic manipulators and terrorists.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would you care to expand on the thinking behind that contribution?
At first sight the relevance to the discussion here isn't too obvious, and it could be mistaken for a gratuitously inflammatory comment, which would not be in the spirit of the forum.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJMW
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54625270
"Mr Paty was subject to an online hate campaign after he showed the cartoons in two lessons about free speech earlier this month."
"The history and geography teacher advised Muslim students to leave the room if they thought they might be offended."
Old Oct 21st 2020, 11:04 am
Banned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54625270
"Mr Paty was subject to an online hate campaign after he showed the cartoons in two lessons about free speech earlier this month."
"The history and geography teacher advised Muslim students to leave the room if they thought they might be offended."
I just wonder why, if the teacher thought the lectures were going to cause, or cause offence, they were given in the format they were? Maybe I'm " too British" but a lecture on almost any subject can be given without causing offence. It's a question of diplomatic language. People are very easily offended and often arrive at the wrong conclusions because of the way a subject is discussed. Whatever, he shouldn't have been the subject of a hate campaign and certainly not murdered
Old Oct 21st 2020, 11:10 am
Banned

I feel sure you have read about the Crusades? Christians have, throughout history, ventured to foreign lands and slaughtered those of other religions., all in the name of Christianity.!!! Not a nice history to have. Fortunately no one is 'catching up' The odd fanatic doesn't mean a whole religion is bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.