British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   French TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/french-tv-902874/)

Tweedpipe Sep 4th 2017 12:11 pm

French TV

I occasionally comment on a French film or telefilm if I think it's worth a mention.
Yesterday (Sun) there was a most fascinating 1hr documentary on a French school that I would never have guessed existed - and I wager not many others either - English or French - are familiar with the establishment.
The program was Les Filles de la légion d'honneur.
Napoleon Ier founded The Legion d'Honneur education centers around 1805 to enable the daughters of soldiers serving with him to have a good education. Since then, these boarding schools have been reserved for girls, grand-daughters and great-grand-daughters of members of the Legion of Honor - decorated with the National Order of Merit and military medals. Some 500 students from the second to the final year live in the former royal abbey of the basilica of Saint-Denis, Paris and 300 from the 6th to the third live in another building located in Saint-Germain-en-Laye. These establishments are reknown for their rigor, and especially their level of excellence.
Here's a link to the repeat.
Definitely worth watching for those in a teaching role, or associated interests.

Tweedpipe Sep 4th 2017 1:08 pm

Re: French TV

And here's another, hopefully.......
It's a newly announced thriller series I've been looking forward to watching. On TF1 tonight at 21:00hrs - La Mante. (The Mantis).

This centres around a female serial killer who has been in prison for the last 25 years. She’s called upon and released from prison by the police to assist in tracking down a copycat killer of her own crimes. She agrees but with one condition, that her son assists her. The problem is that her son has become a police officer since his mother was arrested, and has refused all contact since her incarceration.
The fact that Carole Bouquet plays the lead role, should only add to the drama.

dmu Sep 5th 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12330909)
And here's another, hopefully.......
It's a newly announced thriller series I've been looking forward to watching. On TF1 tonight at 21:00hrs - La Mante. (The Mantis).

This centres around a female serial killer who has been in prison for the last 25 years. She’s called upon and released from prison by the police to assist in tracking down a copycat killer of her own crimes. She agrees but with one condition, that her son assists her. The problem is that her son has become a police officer since his mother was arrested, and has refused all contact since her incarceration.
The fact that Carole Bouquet plays the lead role, should only add to the drama.

I didn't manage to watch this last night, we've got family here, but I'll try TV-Replay (or whatever it's called) before the next episodes, if you recommend it. Unless TF1 rediffuses it on one of the obscure channels....

Tweedpipe Sep 6th 2017 7:32 am

DMU,
The replays for this channel are now called MYTF1.
Here`s the link for La Mante, a seies of 6 episodes, 1 and 2 were screened on Monday. Very well done, but somewhat grisly, and may put some off their mug of bedtime cocoa, so not for those with a nevous disposition. :eek:
For MYTF1 replays, I believe one has to sign in/register to watch the streaming videos.

I also love courtroom dramas, and last night - on FR3 - was by far the best I've seen in a long time - La Loi de Julien. Brilliant story!
I've tried the latter and it seems to be a direct link to the video.

Purple Jim Nov 16th 2017 7:30 pm

Damn, we missed La Mante. Maybe it'll turn up on BBC4 later on. I'm a burnt out on cold case phorensic police dramas but because Bouquet was involved makes it sound more interesting.
In fact we never even look at what is on French TV anymore, since we fixed up a satellite dish to get Freeview (saved our sanity). I must check what's on from time to time.