Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French St Swithin's Day

French St Swithin's Day

Old Jun 10th 2018, 8:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default French St Swithin's Day

So, did it rain in your area on 8th June, the St Médard? This guarantees 40 days of rain thereafter, unless St Barnabé counteracts by being fine tomorrow, 11th June.
Just another bit of useless info to forget the Brexit issue!
Old Jun 11th 2018, 4:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French St Swithin's Day

It certainly rained this morning in North Hérault, so rain is expected until mid-July, after which the official forecast of a very hot, dry summer might come to pass, like last year.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It drizzled a bit in Basse Normandie today, do you think that counts?
I can't remember whether it rained on Saint Médard or not, I've slept since then.
Please not very hot, I can't cope. I've been sunburnt already this year, in Ireland at the beginning of May, that's how sensitive my skin is...
Old Jun 12th 2018, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
So, did it rain in your area on 8th June, the St Médard? This guarantees 40 days of rain thereafter, unless St Barnabé counteracts by being fine tomorrow, 11th June.
Just another bit of useless info to forget the Brexit issue!
Just read this.
The 8th was a pleasant sunny day here, probably the best day we had all last week.
As for ET's sunburn, hope it didn't spoil your cooked breakfast.....

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 12th 2018 at 7:43 am.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

It was fine and dry on the 8th here, which is just as well because it threw it down yesterday. We have had very strange weather since April, so I really don't know what to expect this summer.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Rain's not funny any more. Woke up to find the house flooded after the storms in Orne, and the water still rising. It came up to the second step before it started going down (and they're quite deep steps). Just got the floor dried (mostly) and the power back on, but lots of cleaning left for tomorrow. River water don't half stink.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Rain's not funny any more. Woke up to find the house flooded after the storms in Orne, and the water still rising. It came up to the second step before it started going down (and they're quite deep steps). Just got the floor dried (mostly) and the power back on, but lots of cleaning left for tomorrow. River water don't half stink.
Sorry to hear that. Take photos for the Assurances and the Powers-that-Be might declare your area a Catastrophe Naturelle anyway, which will make a claim easier.
Courage for the clean-up!
Old Jun 12th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks dmu. I took photos but the trouble was the power was off and the room was dark and it could be a brown carpet for all you can tell. The only real casualty seems to be a dead washing machine, which I did take a photo of the water half way up it. The fridge works, which is a shame because I liked my washing machine and I don't like my fridge.
Oh and my phone fell out of my pocket and doesn't work any more - took me ages to find it, the water was so muddy you can't see anything in it - but that's my own stupid fault so I don't suppose I can claim for that.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 6:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: French St Swithin's Day

Oh shit ET. So sorry for you. We're travelling to our house again this afternoon, arriving tomorrow. Now I'm panicking as to what we'll find there. You'd think a climate scientist would have more sense than to buy a house a whopping 2m above sea level but you'd be wrong.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I haven't heard that Manche has suffered. Mainly Orne and Eure I think, and the Orne side of Calvados.
Fingers crossed for you Novo.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 8:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard that Manche has suffered. Mainly Orne and Eure I think, and the Orne side of Calvados.
Fingers crossed for you Novo.
Thanks for that ET. (We're in Calvados, but in the west, near to Manche). If you hear gurgling noises from me tomorrow evening, I hope it'll just be me binging on the wine.

I hope your clean-up isn't too much hassle.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you ET. I do sympathise. I hope you manage the clear up and the claims without too much more hassle.

We have had rain almost every day for several weeks now and our already very unreliable telephone and intenet have hardly worked at all.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks GrannyB. Have spoken to the insurers and they make it sound very simple although I'm sure it won't be in practice. And this morning I did something to my back trying to twist myself into the space behind the washing machine under the worktop. I forgot that when you're 60+ your body doesn't bend like it did when you were 20 or even 40. Oh the pain, the pain, and still half a room to go.
But when I'm done, my kitchen will be cleaner than it's been for years - I've never cleaned behind the appliances since they were installed, because I can't get them out on my own and you can't normally borrow the neighbour's husband to help you with the housework, but at times like this you can.

I have to say, the neighbours have been absolutely brilliant, so helpful. Even people I'd never properly spoken to before or in some cases don't remember having even seen before have been offering to help.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 8:38 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks GrannyB. Have spoken to the insurers and they make it sound very simple although I'm sure it won't be in practice. And this morning I did something to my back trying to twist myself into the space behind the washing machine under the worktop. I forgot that when you're 60+ your body doesn't bend like it did when you were 20 or even 40. Oh the pain, the pain, and still half a room to go.
But when I'm done, my kitchen will be cleaner than it's been for years - I've never cleaned behind the appliances since they were installed, because I can't get them out on my own and you can't normally borrow the neighbour's husband to help you with the housework, but at times like this you can.

I have to say, the neighbours have been absolutely brilliant, so helpful. Even people I'd never properly spoken to before or in some cases don't remember having even seen before have been offering to help.
Nothing like a bit of French solidarité to raise the morale.
Courage, and take care!
Old Jun 16th 2018, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All OK, Novo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.