Wikiposts

French SSN

Old May 29th 2013, 4:45 am
Just Joined

inn0min4t3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French SSN

Hi,

I've run into a little snag and was wondering if anyone could help. Recently my ex-employer went into liquidation and I was advised by his lawyer to contact the liquidator and give him the information so that I could get the money back which I'm owed.

Well, I did that and today I received a reply back from the liquidator saying that I need to give him my SSN - The only problem is that I worked for 5 months and I've never received an SSN number (it isn't written on any payslips).

Add to this I'm back in the UK and I'm not sure how I can find it out.. Is there an office I could ring who would be able to give me information as I've been paying tax so I'm surprised I never received one.

Also, this last line confused me... "Sans cet element, le CGEA ne sera pas en mesure d'appliquer sa garantie". I've also never heard of the CGEA and a quick Google search links to an odd site about insurance..

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:52 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French SSN

Originally Posted by inn0min4t3
Hi,

I've run into a little snag and was wondering if anyone could help. Recently my ex-employer went into liquidation and I was advised by his lawyer to contact the liquidator and give him the information so that I could get the money back which I'm owed.

Well, I did that and today I received a reply back from the liquidator saying that I need to give him my SSN - The only problem is that I worked for 5 months and I've never received an SSN number (it isn't written on any payslips).

Add to this I'm back in the UK and I'm not sure how I can find it out.. Is there an office I could ring who would be able to give me information as I've been paying tax so I'm surprised I never received one.

Also, this last line confused me... "Sans cet element, le CGEA ne sera pas en mesure d'appliquer sa garantie". I've also never heard of the CGEA and a quick Google search links to an odd site about insurance..

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
It should have been supplied via the employer I think and you wont have paid income tax for the period you were here as that is at the end of the finacial year which we covered in earlier posts. But it would be the Assurance maladie who give the number I think so contact the local office to where you were.

To be fair and this is my personal opinion as your previous employer has gone bust but I suspect you were never legalised into the system with the closeness of your starting and the business going bust, What form of employment was it?

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 29th 2013 at 5:18 am.
Old May 29th 2013, 5:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, your S.S. number should be mentioned on your payslips, together with all the S.S. deductions (for health, pension and other social benefits). If you can't find it (it's a 15 digit number starting with 1 if you're male, 2 if you're female, followed by the last two digits of your year of birth, two digits corresponding to your month of birth, and 99 if you weren't born in France), then contact the CPAM office of your former place of work, as suggested. But beware, if your former employer didn't employ you legally, the CPAM might decide to claim all your unpaid côtisations on the basis of the info that you give them, which won't leave you much out of the wages owing to you.....
From a google search, CGEA is indeed a salary guarantee insurance and the sentence in French indicates that the insurance won't pay if you can't give this S.S. number.
Hope all this helps...
Old May 29th 2013, 9:38 am
Just Joined

inn0min4t3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm quite sure I was working legally, I had proper payslips with all of his and my tax deductions taken from it. Also when I finished I got the work certificate and the stuff to get benefits if I needed to.

Anyway, he was just lazy and I guess he never did everything that he needed to do.

@Dmu, on my pay slip I have a form that says "NUM. SÉCURITE SOCIALE :" but no number next to it, or any of the other payslips I've had.

Thank you.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm quite sure I was working legally, I had proper payslips with all of his and my tax deductions taken from it. Also when I finished I got the work certificate and the stuff to get benefits if I needed to.

Anyway, he was just lazy and I guess he never did everything that he needed to do.

@Dmu, on my pay slip I have a form that says "NUM. SÉCURITE SOCIALE :" but no number next to it, or any of the other payslips I've had.

Thank you.
Just to clarify, the deductions mentioned on the payslips aren't for Tax. There's no PAYE here, you declare your income the following year.
Which doesn't solve the S.S. problem, but if the S.S. deductions are clearly marked on the payslips, then don't hesitate to contact your former CPAM office and let the liquidator know that you're taking steps which will take time....
Old May 29th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
The payslips may not be genuine.
It is really easy with computers to "forge" documents to appear real when in fact they are not.
There is a possibility that the employer has just invented a payslip and kept some of your pay for himself.
Proceed with care.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

If your French is up to it, you need to contact the Inspection du Travail who will investigate why you weren't given a SS number by your employer. He should have done this and if he didn't he'll be in even more doo-doo.
Old May 29th 2013, 9:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
as Cyrian says, the payslips many not mean anything.
This used to be a regular problem in the Uk, I remember the case where a clothing manuf in Leicester went bust, 150 workers went downt the benefits office to sign on, to be told they had no record of their NI payments - some had been there for many years! And the tax deducted hadn't been passed on to HMRC.

so the poor workers had to pay back tax and ni whilst the authorities tried to chase the business owner(s) who had kept the worker & employer NI, tax that had been deducted and it transpired the VAT they had been charging their customers.

But hopefully you are not in that situation.