Wikiposts

French Schools

Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default French Schools

I have been trying to find information about Frech Schools, there does not seem to be a performance list like in the uk.

During my research I have discovered an article about violence in French Schools, (published in Le Point) especially colleges, mainly in the schools around large cities.

After primary school, lets say in a village, I believe the next port of call is the college/lycee. Are these mainly in large towns/cities.

Has anyone had any serious problems with their children in schools.

And finally are the staff in schools subjected to police checks etc. like they are in the uk.

Any help regarding the education system etc would be most welcome as this, understandably is the most important aspect of our move.

If it's any help the areas we are looking to go to are around Albi or Carcassonne. Although a general opinion of the schools would be great.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Schools

Originally Posted by loy loy
I have been trying to find information about Frech Schools, there does not seem to be a performance list like in the uk.

During my research I have discovered an article about violence in French Schools, (published in Le Point) especially colleges, mainly in the schools around large cities.

After primary school, lets say in a village, I believe the next port of call is the college/lycee. Are these mainly in large towns/cities.

Has anyone had any serious problems with their children in schools.

And finally are the staff in schools subjected to police checks etc. like they are in the uk.

Any help regarding the education system etc would be most welcome as this, understandably is the most important aspect of our move.

If it's any help the areas we are looking to go to are around Albi or Carcassonne. Although a general opinion of the schools would be great.

Many thanks.
You're right, there's a Maternelle/Primaire in every village and several in towns. Your Mairie will tell which one corresponds to your domicile.
At 11, the children go to Collège for four years - they are only to be found in towns, but there's always a good school bus service.
After Collège comes the Lycée for those who don't leave school. Three years there, with the Bac at the end of it.
You do hear about violence within the school precincts nowadays (pupils amongst themselves or against teachers), but this is usually in "sensitive" suburbs around large cities.
I didn't know that staff in UK schools were subjected to police checks. What for? No way would the Unions and PTAs here accept police presence within school grounds (unless they were called in). Civil liberty, human rights... On the other hand, there is talk of finding a means acceptable to all for preventing the pupils entering school with knives, etc...
I don't think Albi or Carcassonne have the sort of problems that Paris and other large cities have, so don't worry on that score!
Hope this has helped!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dmu
You're right, there's a Maternelle/Primaire in every village and several in towns. Your Mairie will tell which one corresponds to your domicile.
At 11, the children go to Collège for four years - they are only to be found in towns, but there's always a good school bus service.
After Collège comes the Lycée for those who don't leave school. Three years there, with the Bac at the end of it.
You do hear about violence within the school precincts nowadays (pupils amongst themselves or against teachers), but this is usually in "sensitive" suburbs around large cities.
I didn't know that staff in UK schools were subjected to police checks. What for? No way would the Unions and PTAs here accept police presence within school grounds (unless they were called in). Civil liberty, human rights... On the other hand, there is talk of finding a means acceptable to all for preventing the pupils entering school with knives, etc...
I don't think Albi or Carcassonne have the sort of problems that Paris and other large cities have, so don't worry on that score!
Hope this has helped!
thanks very much. I didn't mean checks in that manner, sorry.

Before they are allowed to teach or be around young children they have their background checked to make sure they have no history of crimes against children and are not on the register etc.

That is a very helpful post
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
thanks very much. I didn't mean checks in that manner, sorry.

Before they are allowed to teach or be around young children they have their background checked to make sure they have no history of crimes against children and are not on the register etc.

That is a very helpful post
I got a bit worried there!!!
I've no idea, in fact, whether there are such checks in France...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:48 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

In Aude or Ariege you will not find a Maternelle or Ecole du Primaire in every village. As lots of communes have been disbanded into the control of other larger commune areas, Due to the rural aspect of the zone here only the larger Towns have colleges and children are expected to travel further.

School buses don't make any alterations to the route to collect children under CP age, Although when like our local Primary school is combined with the Maternelle the younger one can travel with an older sibling (Yeh). If you want to have your child home for lunch you pick them up and return them for the 2 hour period.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

hi there

we live in Toulouse and my daughter goes to college in nearby Colomiers: she has never had any problems with violence
I think that french teachers do, like the english, have to have police checks but not 100% certain

Overall we have found french schools more strict and better supervised and least inside the classroom; behaviour in primary schools definitely seems better generally

hope this helps
michele
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Our local primary school has the toilets in the middle of the playground. The boys section has glass walls so you can see all bodily functions being openly carried out. Coming from UK and believing that there is a paedophile lurking around every corner I was horrified until it was explained that bullying started in the toilets and by having glass walls on the toilets bullying has almost been eradicated.
Picking up my friends girl one night I witnessed a bully aged about 9 picking on a boy aged about 8. he was kicking him and trying to take his sandwich. The teacher on duty saw what was going on, marched across and picking up the bully kicked him on the same leg the bully kicked his victim. he then strode across to the school gates and asked for the bullies mother to step forward and apologise to the victim, which she did. All the other mothers nodded approvingly.
Political correctness? nah,too English.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
hi there

I think that french teachers do, like the english, have to have police checks but not 100% certain
My OH confirms that all teachers and civil servants dealing with children must produce a clean police record. So no worries on that score...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
My OH confirms that all teachers and civil servants dealing with children must produce a clean police record. So no worries on that score...
Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:18 am
Just Joined

ParisianSparrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of my British friends find French schools and colleges much more secure than in the UK.