British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   French primary schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/french-primary-schools-946993/)

salieri60 Feb 5th 2023 2:26 pm

French primary schools

Hello everybody,
I have two children (5 and +9 yo, currently attending school in Italy). I am planning to move back to France this summer after 4 years in Italy. I would like to have some reliable info on primary schools, and especially how well these can cater for non French speaking children. Do they offer special support in terms of language learning? Are foreing children made to feel welcome in their new envoronment? This is particularly important, in my opinion.

Thank you in advance for your input.

dmu Feb 6th 2023 7:33 am

Re: French primary schools

Originally Posted by salieri60 (Post 13170785)
Hello everybody,
I have two children (5 and +9 yo, currently attending school in Italy). I am planning to move back to France this summer after 4 years in Italy. I would like to have some reliable info on primary schools, and especially how well these can cater for non French speaking children. Do they offer special support in terms of language learning? Are foreing children made to feel welcome in their new envoronment? This is particularly important, in my opinion.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Generally speaking, there's not much provision for "foreign" children in Primaire, but normally your children are of an age to pick up the language quickly, esp. the 5 year old, as they only start to read and write at 6 in 1st year Primaire. On the other hand, the 9-year-old is approaching the limit to have enough time to cope with going up to Collège at 11. It will probably be necessary to provide private tutoring, to be able to show sufficient knowledge of French Grammar (and Maths), but it's possible to stay down a year. This happens often in France and not just for foreign pupils, and isn't considered a stigma....
Be aware that, unless you enrol them in a private school, your Mairie will designate the Primaire nearest your address. Wherever, you'd have to ask directly whether they have provisions for non-French-speaking pupils. My daughters' Primaire certainly didn't (but they didn't need assistance anyway, as they were born here).
Off-topic, but you say you are planning to move back to France. Has either parent got an EU Passport? If not, and you've been on a Residence Visa in Italy, I believe you'll have to apply for a long-term Visa to become Resident in France. I stand to be corrected, but Visas in the EU aren't "exportable"....
HTH

Listen Very Carefully Feb 6th 2023 2:48 pm

Re: French primary schools

You are correct dmu There is no freedom of movement for Brits even if they have lived in the EU for years.
If the children can speak Italian they will soon pick up French as they are both Romance languages