Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

french license in English?

french license in English?

Old Jul 19th 2017, 6:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default french license in English?

Do any of you know whether you can get a translation of your french driver's license into english from the prefecture?

I know I managed to get an attestation in french from DVLC for the french authorities, just wondered if the french peeps did it too?

thanks
PF
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: french license in English?

well, just in case anyone else ever needs the information...

You can get an official international driver's license from the Prefecture.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/R33870
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

British licences have all EU languages on them, don't French licences?
Old Jul 19th 2017, 8:02 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
are you sure about that?

what exactly do they have on them?

No, the french paper license is only in French and the card says "permis de conduire" in French.

I'm asking because in Texas you can exchange your french license for a Texas one without taking any tests. But they've just introduced a new requirement that the license be in English or Spanish or it must be a certified translation. The International Permis satisfies their requirements but must be done in advance of leaving France.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 8:31 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

The new French licenses are in the standardised EU format but alas the old French pink ones are not.

Spoiler:

But these are not permitted to leave the country anyway and you don't need a license to drive one....

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jul 19th 2017 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 9:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
are you sure about that?

what exactly do they have on them? .....
I am certain my British licence had something written on it in each of the official languages of the EU, with obviously the Greek being most memorable, but I don't think it was a full translation of everything written in English.

Maybe it was one of those diktats from Brussels that only the British government was stupid enough to implement?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2017 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am certain my British licence had something written on it in each of the official languages of the EU, with obviously the Greek being most memorable, but I don't think it was a full translation of everything written in English.

Maybe it was one of those diktats from Brussels that only the British government was stupid enough to implement?
I've just looked at my GB license. On the back it has a list of other EU countries each followed by some numbers which I think might indicate vehicle categories in the local bureaucratic terms that my licence covers. Nowhere is there a word of any language other than English and not much of that either apart from my name and address.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 20th 2017 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've just looked at my GB license. On the back it has a list of other EU countries each followed by some numbers which I think might indicate vehicle categories in the local bureaucratic terms that my licence covers. Nowhere is there a word of any language other than English and not much of that either apart from my name and address.
Is that the plastic card or the paper counterpart? .... I was talking about the paper counterpart.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 8:03 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the plastic card or the paper counterpart? .... I was talking about the paper counterpart.
When you got your licence Pulaski, did a man with a red flag come with it?
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

The UK paper license (EC Model) has a translation of ‘Driving License’ in about 10 languages, everything else is in English.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:33 pm
Austin. TX.

I think in France now, they just have a card. No paper counterpart.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by audio
The UK paper license (EC Model) has a translation of ‘Driving License’ in about 10 languages, everything else is in English.
Was moved to look at mine for the first time in years.
Same here.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Mine also has everything in Welsh
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 2:19 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Mine also has everything in Welsh
So when the whole planet is speaking Welsh in about 20 billion years someone outside Wales will be able to understand it although your photo might be out of date by then.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
So when the whole planet is speaking Welsh in about 20 billion years someone outside Wales will be able to understand it although your photo might be out of date by then.
I suppose so, indeed. I still won't be able to understand it though - it would take me more than 20 billion years to learn Welsh I know that because I tried once

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.