Reload this Page >

French level required for French citizenship

French level required for French citizenship

Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:23 am
Just Joined

nullarbor.plain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French level required for French citizenship

Hi all,

Does anyone have a guide level of French required for French citizenship pls?

Maybe on the DELF scale (A1 - B2), or GCSE, A Level or higher?

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French level required for French citizenship

Originally Posted by nullarbor.plain
Hi all,

Thanks
Sorry, can't help, but it's not only a question of the level of French required, but residence in France and proof that you have integrated into French society. Some one who has gone through the procedure will come along with info which I only know second-hand.
Are you in fact resident in France? I'm a little confused, as you have posted another thread on the Canada forum....
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nullarbor.plain
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi,
This link may help you if your French is good enough to understand what it says.
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F2213.xhtml

Your knowledge of assimilation into French society, your knowledge of French culture and the language will be tested in an interview by a staff member at the Préfecture; you don't have to have a given level. You have to have lived for 5 years in France, which can be reduced to 2 if, say, you have a French university degree or you've served in the French armed forces. Obviously if your spouse is French it may mean you can acquire it that way.
French and British law admit dual nationality, so if you take out French nationality you don't lose your British nationality.
Is it worth it? I'd say yes, if you're going to be here for good. It costs very little (in my time there was a fee based on earnings from the previous year) and means you can participate in all aspects of French life, which basically means voting, and therefore having an admittedly small say in what happens to your taxes, and how the country you have chosen to live in is run. You no longer have to observe neutrality over sensitive issues. There's no national service any more so that's no longer a reason for reluctance to take the plunge. You get to have two passports (big deal) which means that if you can't find one, you take the other one.
I must admit to finding it weird that some long-term, younger residents don't go the whole hog, mainly because of getting the vote.
Hope this helps,
PB
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

nullarbor.plain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, the link is really complete, thanks for you answer.