British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   French girl scared to go back to TOURS FRANCE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/french-girl-scared-go-back-tours-france-796247/)

MonikMa Apr 16th 2015 10:25 am

Re: French girl scared to go back to TOURS FRANCE

Thank you very much!

cyrian Apr 16th 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11620176)
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You may do well to post a New Thread, giving your children's ages and indicating whether you'll be moving permanently or temporarily. If they are of Primary age or younger, the Mairie of Tours will allocate you the State Primaire or Maternelle nearest your domicile, unless you prefer a private school. Secondary school age children, even with a "fair level" of French, will find it difficult to cope in a State Collège and even more so in Lycée, and would probably be better in an International School.
Post a new thread, as other members who have children won't necessarily read this one!:)

Not necessarily the "Mairie de Tours" but the local Mairie because there are several Mairies that fall within what you could describe as Tours.

MAGELANE Apr 16th 2015 1:15 pm

Unless you go for private school!
probably the easiest solution when you are not sure about your future address...

dmu Apr 16th 2015 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 11620438)
Not necessarily the "Mairie de Tours" but the local Mairie because there are several Mairies that fall within what you could describe as Tours.

I didn't read through properly and meant to say the Mairie of their Commune :o (although MM did specify Tours...)

MonikMa Apr 16th 2015 6:36 pm

Dear Befan,
I would like to get in contact with you for further information.
Thanks

Touraine Apr 17th 2015 7:34 am

Monikama

Sainte-Agnès is an excellent school I really recommend it. I think (I think) for this year though the international class is full......or certainly the English part. Even if they can't join the 'International class' all children in normal classes have English lessons. Mine don't go to the international class.

There are a few other private schools in and around Tours. They maybe worth looking at as well.

Cyrian was quite in what he said. The 'Tours' part of Tours is actually quite small. The towns that surround Tours (St Avertin, Chambray Les Tours, Joué lés Tours ect) where people live (when you live in Tours) all have their own Marie. All these places are regarded as being part of Tours. So if you went down the public school route then you would apply at the local Mairie.

Think carefully about where you want to live. Personally, I could not live in the 'Tours' part of Tours but in any case you will still need a car to take your kids to school even if you choose to do so. Unless of course you choose to live in walking distance of the school......which is expensive.

Parking/dropping off/picking up children at the school is a nightmare in a car. But you get used to it.

Good luck

MonikMa Apr 21st 2015 6:58 pm

Dear all,
First of all thank you for the information .... now I would like to ask more .... maybe someone can help me.
I'm recently looking into three schools. Two of them are public (with British International Sections) and located in Orleans: Ecole primaries Apollinaire and College Dunois.
The third on is a private college, Saint Denis International school in Loches.
All of them have an expanded English program. Do you have any kind of information about them? Are these good school? Is English well done? Please I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

Touraine Apr 22nd 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by MonikMa (Post 11624905)
Dear all,
First of all thank you for the information .... now I would like to ask more .... maybe someone can help me.
I'm recently looking into three schools. Two of them are public (with British International Sections) and located in Orleans: Ecole primaries Apollinaire and College Dunois.
The third on is a private college, Saint Denis International school in Loches.
All of them have an expanded English program. Do you have any kind of information about them? Are these good school? Is English well done? Please I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

I used to live not far from Orleans, and for a period of time I was giving free conversational English lessons to a French girl who loved learning English and wanted an international career. She was planning on going to College Dunois. She had visited the college and was very happy with it. She actually moved to another part of France before having the chance to go there but nevertheless it did at that time have a very good reputation for internationally orientated French students. As for expats in that area, that is your only choice for an international focused school.

In terms of Loche, I have heard of the school but that is only due to them heavily marketing it in Tours. I have seen signs on buses and local free magazines. Read into that what you like. In terms of education I have no idea.

In terms of living, if you had a straight choice between Tours and Orleans I would vote for Tours. Orleans is a very difficult city to get into and drive around in. The 'inner' part of Orleans is OK but apart from that there is nothing much to shout about. In terms of living costs it is the same as Tours.

Loche attracts a lot of expats because the houses are cheaper down there and it is quite a nice place. I am not sure I would want to bring up young children there as there is limited things to do. It is a bit in the middle of nowhere.

If you want to go for a smaller city, think about 'Blois' which in between Orleans and Tours. Blois is a good and attractive place to live. There is a lot of things going on.

Lycée Privé Sainte-Marie - 41013 - Blois : L'annuaire officiel de l'enseignement privé