French/English Conversation Night - 13th March

Wikiposts

French/English Conversation Night - 13th March

Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

mlt31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French/English Conversation Night - 13th March

Hello,

Anybody in the Toulouse area looking to improve their French conversational skills?

A group of us are meeting on Wednesday 13th March at the Killarney Bar, in order to exchange in French/English and have a drink. It's an 20:30 start.

Let me know if you're planning on joining us!

Cheers
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:44 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French/English Conversation Night - 13th March

Originally Posted by mlt31
Hello,

Anybody in the Toulouse area looking to improve their French conversational skills?

A group of us are meeting on Wednesday 13th March at the Killarney Bar, in order to exchange in French/English and have a drink. It's an 20:30 start.

Let me know if you're planning on joining us!

Cheers
If you can, put Toulouse in the title, that might better grab local attention.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's not a bad incentive to get out and learn the language.
I guess the venue has been chosen because an 'English' Pub probably has more appeal to most Brits abroad. Cependant......
Given that the object of the meeting is primarily to converse and practice ones French, if it were me I would have suggested a real French bistro, one that is steeped in history, and oozes French atmosphere.
Au Pere Louis, an institution - the oldest continually running bar in Toulouse dating from the 1880's imho would be the perfect venue, and one that would surely be a memorable experience for many B.E visitors. Just a thought....
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:58 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I guess the venue has been chosen because an 'English' Pub probably has more appeal to most Brits abroad. Cependant......
Given that the object of the meeting is primarily to converse and practice ones French, if it were me I would have suggested a real French bistro, one that is steeped in history, and oozes French atmosphere.
Au Pere Louis, an institution - the oldest continually running bar in Toulouse dating from the 1880's imho would be the perfect venue, and one that would surely be a memorable experience for many B.E visitors. Just a thought....
Have to agree that a French venue would be better, unless the French contingency prefers an "English Pub". Just as a matter of interest, are there some French people in the group already? Otherwise who do the English-speakers speak French to?
I ask the question, as our nearest town has strong ties with its twin town in Germany and I sometimes go to German conversation sessions in a café, and we (French and English) speak German to one another . But the purpose is to feel comfortable conversing, even if we make mistakes with no one to correct our faulty grammar...
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:00 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Have to agree that a French venue would be better, unless the French contingency prefers an "English Pub". Just as a matter of interest, are there some French people in the group already? Otherwise who do the English-speakers speak French to?
I ask the question, as our nearest town has strong ties with its twin town in Germany and I sometimes go to German conversation sessions in a café, and we (French and English) speak German to one another . But the purpose is to feel comfortable conversing, even if we make mistakes with no one to correct our faulty grammar...
Eckin Flip dmu youse a linguist.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Eckin Flip dmu youse a linguist.
Qué?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Well, it's actually an Irish Pub, chosen because it's in a good location, not too busy in the week and seemed an nice place to have the conversation night. I started the evening because I needed to brush up on my French, given that I spend most of my days speaking in English due to work and having an English speaking partner. It's becoming embarrassing after 6 years living here!
I also found that I always meet french people who want to practice their English with me, so thought this could kill two birds with one stone. So, we're a mixed group all looking to practice English or French. We normally speak in French for about an hour, English another hour and the rest of the night as we wish. It seems a lot more fun and sociable to do it over a drink.
I wanted to post it on here as I've had so much interest from French people, but it's been harder to get more English speakers interested.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cjm
If you can, put Toulouse in the title, that might better grab local attention.
Good idea, but I don't know how to edit the original post
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:30 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Good idea, but I don't know how to edit the original post
Do some research. Does the pub have any French customers? Is there a French-English group locally? Any French friends that might help promote it? Put together a poster Eng/Francais to go into local supermarkets. (Ask and I may be able to put this together for you; pm me)
Not sure what electronic outlets there are in your part, but these are the routes.
What about the pub running competition? Irish/French
relationships; guess on line ... sorry late now ...
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cjm
Do some research. Does the pub have any French customers? Is there a French-English group locally? Any French friends that might help promote it? Put together a poster Eng/Francais to go into local supermarkets. (Ask and I may be able to put this together for you; pm me)
Not sure what electronic outlets there are in your part, but these are the routes.
What about the pub running competition? Irish/French
relationships; guess on line ... sorry late now ...
When I first started the event I thought it would be harder to get the French people to come, but it's been the other way around! Anyway, I have promoted it on various language exchange sites and we do have a small group of English speakers who come, but it's only the fourth event so I guess it will grow in time. There's usually about 20 of us, so it's a nice number.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:54 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

When I first started the event I thought it would be harder to get the French people to come, but it's been the other way around! Anyway, I have promoted it on various language exchange sites and we do have a small group of English speakers who come, but it's only the fourth event so I guess it will grow in time. There's usually about 20 of us, so it's a nice number.
Well done, it looks like you've covered the avenues. Have a bl**dy great evening.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Default Re: French/English Conversation Night in Toulouse - 13th March

Thank you! I'll try and speak some french too...I hope I'm not the only one who's been here too long to have any excuses!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:01 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a great idea,very best of luck. I used to live near the Anglophone library in Angers and they used to arrange all sorts of French/English pizza nights, board game evenings and coffee mornings. 'A safe place' to make a big linguistic gaffe and gain confidence is a godsend.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
I think this is a great idea,very best of luck. I used to live near the Anglophone library in Angers and they used to arrange all sorts of French/English pizza nights, board game evenings and coffee mornings. 'A safe place' to make a big linguistic gaffe and gain confidence is a godsend.
Thank you MillieF...it was a good night! I'll have to find out if there are any Anglophone libraries in Toulouse, what great ideas for different social events to learn the lingo and meet new people!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:42 am
Just Joined

mistry girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it's a great group - pity it is not further north! I think mixed groups are a great way to practice language skills. Hope it continues well for you :-)