Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Electrics - New Wiring

French Electrics - New Wiring

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:38 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice
Default French Electrics - New Wiring

Hi, does anybody have a very accurate English translation, or can anybody direct me to one, of the current legislation for NEW wiring in France? I know it is very complex as I've just had a property wired and am awaiting the consuel.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:57 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Electrics - New Wiring

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
Hi, does anybody have a very accurate English translation, or can anybody direct me to one, of the current legislation for NEW wiring in France? I know it is very complex as I've just had a property wired and am awaiting the consuel.
Unless you had the property wired by an English electrician who doesn't know the French Standards (), is there a particular reason for wanting it all in English? Out of interest, I googled "normes électriques" (norme = standard), and the results were vast and long and the translation would cost the earth.... If the high cost doesn't put you off, you can find specialized technical translators at the three Institutes that I mentioned on another thread.
Btw, what's a "consuel"?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:01 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dmu
Unless you had the property wired by an English electrician who doesn't know the French Standards (), is there a particular reason for wanting it all in English? Out of interest, I googled "normes électriques" (norme = standard), and the results were vast and long and the translation would cost the earth.... If the high cost doesn't put you off, you can find specialized technical translators at the three Institutes that I mentioned on another thread.
Btw, what's a "consuel"?
Hi, my wiring was done by a registered French electrician, so I don't anticipate any problems The Consuel is the body of people that have to come out to check new wiring and install the meter.

The query is for a friend of mine who owns property in France; he's an english electrician and I was explaining how very careful he needs to be when he does the rewiring- it's a nightmare!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:46 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=LindyLoo500;795402The Consuel is the body of people that have to come out to check new wiring and install the meter

It didn't occur to me to google Consuel! It didn't exist 25 years ago when we moved down south...
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:28 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=dmu;7954112
It didn't occur to me to google Consuel! It didn't exist 25 years ago when we moved down south...[/QUOTE]

Believe me, it's a nightmare now for new work! Apparently they almost always fail it, and the electrician will rarely take responsibility-you just get the shrug, and cough up again for the second visit
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, it's a nightmare now for new work! Apparently they almost always fail it, and the electrician will rarely take responsibility-you just get the shrug, and cough up again for the second visit
That is false, and who ever told you that doensn't know what they are talking about.

Its true they are strict, but its a case of following simple rules. The not so simple thing is that the regulations in electicity are changing all the time, but if the electrician is competant he should know of these changes as soon as they come out.
In renovated property where certain things just aren't possible then they take that into account, but in newly built property everything should be as the lastest set of regs say it should be.
Having said that, its like the gas inspections I have, it really depends on who is inspecting the work as some of them are willing to turn a blind eye on non dangerous regs. If there is a problem that does need attention, then they usually tell the electrician to put it right and they come back at the end of the day to give them the certificate. That way you don't pay twice for the inspection.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by le plumber
That is false, and who ever told you that doensn't know what they are talking about.

If there is a problem that does need attention, then they usually tell the electrician to put it right and they come back at the end of the day to give them the certificate. That way you don't pay twice for the inspection.
Mate, don't tell me it isn't true, because it's happening to me. The electrician is a French registered artisan, and extremely competent. He knows his job backwards. He also knows the guy that is sent out by the consuel, and with him there is no margin for the slightest misdemeanour. And if he's called back, it will be on another appointment about 2 weeks later, with an even higher fee. This has also just happened to the people in the apartment below us. They had to have 3 visits. The first time it failed because the light fitting in the bathroom was just a couple of cm too close to the shower. Don't tell me there is flexibility, because that is false
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, don't tell me it isn't true, because it's happening to me. The electrician is a French registered artisan, and extremely competent. He knows his job backwards. He also knows the guy that is sent out by the consuel, and with him there is no margin for the slightest misdemeanour. And if he's called back, it will be on another appointment about 2 weeks later, with an even higher fee. This has also just happened to the people in the apartment below us. They had to have 3 visits. The first time it failed because the light fitting in the bathroom was just a couple of cm too close to the shower. Don't tell me there is flexibility, because that is false

you're not having work done on the black are you
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

I said there is flexibility with non dangerous regs and the bathroom is one of the strictest of places because it is dangerous. It still ain't your problem, so it shouldn't be a nightmare cos you don't have to pay for the second visit - your extremely competant registered electrician will have to.
If I, or one of my employees, made a serious mistake with the gas resulting in a second visit then I can't see one of my customers accepting to pay for it. It is strict (and it should be), but as I said, and I'll say it again, if the inspector is a w****r then yes he will arrange for a second visit but if the minor fault can be corrected there and then, then a more forgiving inspector will be prepared to come back at the end of the day.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by val50
you're not having work done on the black are you
Strangely enough, no! I offered, but he refused...... And I've got the bill to prove it