Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French culture in relationship

French culture in relationship

Old Nov 10th 2012, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Horex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French culture in relationship

Like to know from people that know and understand French culture regarding relation in a couple living together
I work in shipping and travel in my work, my French girlfriend that I live together with have some ideas....
She wishes to have male friends to come and visit here, to stay in our house when I`m away. (I`m normaly away less than two weeks each the time)
To me it is just to much to ask, she explain that this is socially acceptable in French culture.
I have a hard time believing it is acceptable in any western culture, so now I like to here the opinion of others.

Last edited by Horex; Nov 10th 2012 at 5:45 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 4:32 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French culture in relationship

Hi Horex - firstly welcome and others will come along to say the same. Have to confess not a GR8 cauldron of knowledge on the culture side. But, do I detect an edge to your post. Is it trust?
I'm an oldie, with a most beautiful and vivacious wife, but yes, I would have people to stay if I were away. I trust completely.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:21 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Horex
Like to know from people that know and understand French culture regarding relation in a couple living together
I work in shipping and travel in my work, my French girlfriend that I live together with have some ideas....
She wishes to have male friends to come and visit here when to stay in our house when I`m away.
To me it is just to much to ask, she explain that this is socially acceptable in French culture.
I have a hard time believing it is acceptable in any western culture, so now I like to here the opinion of others.
Welcome to the Forum, Unlike CJM having watched how locals behave I would be less inclined to be trusting, from what I have seen I believe them to be more adulterous than Brits. You also have to judge her for herself when your out and about is she a window shopper with people have you felt inclined to offer her some nurofen for her neck. Whereabouts are you from?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:58 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
It's a question of trust, you know her better than we do...
It's nothing to do with being "socially acceptable in French culture" but whether it's acceptable to you.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

My personal experience with my French boyfriend of 5 years is that French men are incredibly posessive and so most French women wouldn't even entertain the idea of having a male friend stay in the house nor entertain them alone when their partner was absent. If I had someone here for dinner when he was absent that would be a no-no ... archaic but the way he is. Over the years I've come to accept it as quite endearing, and I'm a very 21st century chick, believe me!

But my boyfriend is exceptionally posessive maybe. Once I went for a meal with an old BBC colleague of mine who was in my area and had to switch my phone off due to the amount of texts from my boyfriend.

Other female friends of mine say the same. So it surprises me that your French girlfriend thinks this is acceptable.

Where is your home? Is it not in France and she wants old friends to come and stay? That would be rather different I would think.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to share your address with me.........
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Horex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
It's a question of trust, you know her better than we do...
It's nothing to do with being "socially acceptable in French culture" but whether it's acceptable to you.
There are more to it, like if the people around you like colleagues, friends and family, if you are the "only" man that allow this, how would that make you feel?
But yes you are to some extent right about trust, I don`t trust that people around me will see it the same way as you do....

Last edited by Horex; Nov 12th 2012 at 8:14 am.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Would you care to share your address with me.........
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

There are more to it, like if the people around you like colleagues, friends and family, if you are the "only" man that allow this, how would that make you feel?
But yes you are to some extent right about trust, I don`t trust that people around me will see it the same way as you do....
Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand the above.

As I said, it's how acceptable to YOU your gf's intentions are, not what others think. If colleagues, friends and family comment on the situation and it bothers you, then you must decide what future there is in your relationship.

Last edited by dmu; Nov 12th 2012 at 12:19 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:47 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have asked and answered your own question here. I re-read your original post. With your added comment, it appears you do not trust your girlfriend to stay faithful to you. So, trust is at the heart of your dilemma, as dmu has touched upon. I also agree you may need to question if the relationship has the elements you are seeking.
And, to throw an alternative pebble in the pond, how does she view your two week outings? How can she know you will be faithful ...
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Lavande is just really niceLavande is just really niceLavande is just really niceLavande is just really niceLavande is just really niceLavande is just really niceLavande is just really niceLavande is just really nice

This is a tough one, Horex, and really a couple has to make concessions and agree that if one is uncomfortable with something then another solution has to be found. Why can't your girlfriend invite only girl friends or couples while you're away and invite her single male friends when you are also there to welcome them? Surely that would keep the peace and be acceptable to you both.
If you're unfamiliar with French culture then she can use that as an excuse to have you believe anything (though that may not be the case).
If it's definitely not acceptable in your own culture then she must understand your reticence, and I don't personally know any French men who would be happy for their wife/partner to entertain only male friends in the home during their absence.
A relationship can only last if there is not only trust but also understanding. It seems to me your girlfriend should give in on this one (not to mention that neighbours are quick to see scandal when a woman receives men in the home during her husband/partner's absence).
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. I am French and there is no problem if your girlfriend receive friends even when you are away, it is in our culture. It just depends on how much you trust eachother and how jealous yo are...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:52 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LordMayor
Hi all. I am French and there is no problem if your girlfriend receive friends even when you are away, it is in our culture. It just depends on how much you trust eachother and how jealous yo are...
There's that vital word again. As to jealousy ... well that's another thing ...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LordMayor
Thoughts here of Jules and Jim, Francois Truffaut's third feature film. Culturally at the time one may have said, "Its very French", which doesn't seem to apply as much today - or does it.....?
Food for thought for the OP.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Reminds me of Rowan Atkinson's great sketch about 'the Devil' when he greets new arrivals to hell:
'Adulterers! over here please, if you could start forming a queue over there, in front of that small guillotine...'
Blackie (ouch!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.