Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

FRENCH CREDIT CARDS

FRENCH CREDIT CARDS

Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:32 am
Just Joined

dave77f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FRENCH CREDIT CARDS

Hoping someone has already come across this issue and can advise.

I can't find a credit card that doesn't charge an annual fee. Most cards are free in the UK, and many give cashback. But I just can't find a similar deal.

I plan to pay off the balance at the end of every month

My bank even charge me for the carte bancaire Mastercard. Then I have an AMEX which costs over 50€ per year, and is hardly accepted anywhere anymore.

If, as I suspect "free" Visa / Mastercards cards do not exist over here, any tips or pointers to a low cost card would be welcome.

Last edited by dave77f; Nov 16th 2011 at 1:50 am. Reason: clarity / security
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FRENCH CREDIT CARDS

Originally Posted by dave77f
If, as I suspect "free" Visa / Mastercards cards do not exist over here, any tips or pointers to a low cost card would be welcome.
Hi, your suspicions are founded, a monthly charge is shown debited in the Statement of Account, more or less the same for all Banks from what I hear.

Cards simply for drawing money out of DABs may be free but, of course, they aren't Credit cards...
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Hi,
Yes French credit cards charge an annual fee, often somewhat opaque, in order to confuse the customer that wants to shop around. Big stores like Carrefour do credit cards charging around 50 euros for a Visa premier, enabling you to pick up points each time you use it. LCL's Visa premier also does a points system; I've had quite a few free bottles of wine out of it, which helps forget the (extortionate) cost a little.
Have you looked at on-line banking? If I wasn't tied hand and foot to my present bank that's the path I'd go down. All the major high street banks have on-line banking which is I believe, cheaper than going through a local branch.
pb
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
I've had quite a few free bottles of wine out of it, which helps forget the (extortionate) cost a little.
pb
I get S'Miles points when I use my Caisse d'Epargne Visa card (for even cheaper fares with the Carte Sénior SNCF which in fact easily "reimburses" the annual CB fee).

Last edited by dmu; Nov 16th 2011 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really understand the term credit card in france as mine only really functions as a debit card; I have to have the funds in my account and its debited immediately???
Old Nov 16th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
I dont really understand the term credit card in france as mine only really functions as a debit card; I have to have the funds in my account and its debited immediately???
Hi,

This presumably is because you opted for "une carte à débit immédiat" instead of "une carte à débit différé". The latter costs more (whoever would have guessed?) so get off down to the bank and ask them to change it into a proper credit card, whose bill is debited at the end of each month. This means that if you pay for something say, on November 27th, chances are it won't be debited until December 31st.
Pb
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

AH!!! Thank you for that PB... I finally understand the system now! I don't want or need the credit option for the moment but it will be useful to know 'au cas ou' as they say!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,

Have you looked at on-line banking? If I wasn't tied hand and foot to my present bank that's the path I'd go down. All the major high street banks have on-line banking which is I believe, cheaper than going through a local branch.
pb
If you bank with Fortuneo (online) you can get a free card (conditions apply)

http://www.fortuneo.fr/fr/banque/for...nque-ligne.jsp
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinaBee
If you bank with Fortuneo (online) you can get a free card (conditions apply)

http://www.fortuneo.fr/fr/banque/for...nque-ligne.jsp
Ing direct also give you a free card - Mastercard Gold. Again online but from what I've heard they're pretty good. However the French Ing direct dont (yet) do mortgages.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

With the present financial crisis being what it is, it might be worth remembering that deposits in French banks are guaranteed up to € 100,000 in case of collapse, Northern Rock style. Hence, should you have more than that in savings, it's best to open accounts in other banks or insurance companies, since the ceiling doesn't apply to the individual saver, but to each of the banks he is a customer of.
PB
Old Nov 26th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I have a Facelia Card issued by Bank Populaire which doubles as a debit or credit card. Sticking it in the reader you either select Compte or Credit.
I don't know if all banks have a similar thing
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:10 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wetwang
I have a Facelia Card issued by Bank Populaire which doubles as a debit or credit card. Sticking it in the reader you either select Compte or Credit.
With our account CIC we have about four days on larger transaction to turn them in to credit based purchases. It works for check and card transactions alike.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:24 am
Just Joined

DEJW is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found that with 2 French banks (CIC and Soc Marseillaise) that credit / debit card charges are negotiable. Talk to the directeur of you bank!

DejW
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wetwang
Ditto my CA 'cartwin' card although in 5 years I've yet to use it as anything other than a debit card.

My 'free' credit card is my Nationwide one which has had a great deal more use here since they introduced the charges on their Flexaccount debit card.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

bullfrog1 is an unknown quantity at this point

French cards sold by banks are not "real" credit cards in the Uk sense (even the 'cartes à débit différé' which exactly that ie 'differed debit cards'), they are necessary tied to a bank account; you can get some for free, for example via Boursorama, the online bank, which provides Visa Premier free of charge (conditions apply).

Amex provided its silver card (a real credit card) free of charge if you spend enough on it per year and you can earn miles on Air France Frequence Plus program

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.