Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French for complete beginners and children?

Wikiposts

French for complete beginners and children?

Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:05 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French for complete beginners and children?

Hi, I did french gcse and am having lessons again which hopefully won't be too much of a problem.

The problem is my partner and my brother don't speak a word and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for how best to learn?

My partner and I have a 2 year old daughter as well, she can say bonjour lol and a few other words but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on good ways to get kids especially so young learning it too?

Thanks
Jen
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: French for complete beginners and children?

hi there

you asked for some ideas re french learning; if you can find an alliance francaise group near to you they have excellent lessons and i have several friends who made good progress from nothing before...however they are not cheap.

other ideas that i know have worked is to find a french friend and exchange talk with them.

as for the 2 yr old; worry not - for one so young the transition is usually completley flawless; she will be old enough to go to maternelle in the next school year and immersion into the french system will have her talking like a native in no time. before you go you c ould try songs and games in french

hope this helps'
michele
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:53 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French for complete beginners and children?

Hi that sounds a good plan.

Ive just discovered the nintendo ds has a french coach
that should keep my partner happy lol!

I'm having 2 hour lessons every week I'm just worried my partner won't learn much as he doesn't speak a word.

Are you in France yet or when are you planning on going?

Jen
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French for complete beginners and children?

hi there

My husband has been in france for 4 yrs now; we joined him a year ago.
in that year my kids have become completely bilingual; so much so the french keep commenting on our daughter's superb toulousain accent ( not something necessarily to be pleased about - its like praising a liverpudlian accent!!)
I was pretty fluent on arrival; 2 months of courses with alliance francais later and i am fluent enough to hold my own and not be corrected too often by my daughter
My husband works for airbus though, where he speaks english all day; he still has very little french

i am sure you will love your move to france; we are tremendously happy despite not moving to the country derelict that most english people seem to choose; we live on the outskirts of toulouse and have just completed a newbuild on an estate!!
Michele