Reload this Page >

French Bank / Credit card

French Bank / Credit card

Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

AppleGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Bank / Credit card

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

We opened french bank account a few months back. We got a Visa Bleue card. I believe it works as a visa debit card, but also has a visa credit card functionality. The debit bit is working fine; but we are just wondering how, if you are ordering something over the internet for example, you specify that you want it to come off the credit card side, rather than straight out of your bank account funds?

Thanks guys
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: French Bank / Credit card

Originally Posted by AppleGirl
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

We opened french bank account a few months back. We got a Visa Bleue card. I believe it works as a visa debit card, but also has a visa credit card functionality. The debit bit is working fine; but we are just wondering how, if you are ordering something over the internet for example, you specify that you want it to come off the credit card side, rather than straight out of your bank account funds?

Thanks guys
Hi,
Normally, when you take out a Visa credit card, you stipulate whether you want it to be "débit direct" or "débit différé". The latter means you pay off your bill at the end of the month, (it's 'deferred'), the former means it acts much like a cheque and your account is debited straight away ('directly'). There is a difference in price, as of course the "débit direct" is cheaper. I have no idea as to whether you can have both on the same card. Ask your banker; theoretically, he should know. Otherwise there are all sorts of store cards you can take out, that offer either function.
PB
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

AppleGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply PB

I assumed it worked as debit card or like a UK credit card, as I remember a monthly APR being quoted and thinking how much lower than UK credit cards it was.

Bank manager did say it was a brand new thing that had only recently come out.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:29 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
Normally, when you take out a Visa credit card, you stipulate whether you want it to be "débit direct" or "débit différé". The latter means you pay off your bill at the end of the month, (it's 'deferred'), the former means it acts much like a cheque and your account is debited straight away ('directly'). There is a difference in price, as of course the "débit direct" is cheaper. I have no idea as to whether you can have both on the same card. Ask your banker; theoretically, he should know. Otherwise there are all sorts of store cards you can take out, that offer either function.
PB
Most banks don't work like that now, Most of the cards we have/had, On purchases that are over 200 euros will allow you to turn the purchase into a credit based purchase and spread the cost over a number of periods. It's normally handled in the online part of the account, Plus you normally have a pre arranged amount of credit that you can work within. The rates are better than credit cards as well.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

According to the Visa website you should be able to choose debit or credit at the point of payment.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

My CA card is dual purpose, as it has been since I got it nearly 5 years ago, so it is not a new thing, however I have never used as a credit card nor can I see me ever needing to and even if I did I'd pay it off that month so interest rates are of no concern.

I have the choice of debit or credit at the point of sale but have never tried to use it for an online purchase so cannot comment on how that works.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

tildathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

A little bit of supplementary information -

If you opt for the Gold Card version, it comes with insurance. Be very careful to check your policy as these vary greatly from one issuer to another. I used to have a Visa Gold Card from Banque Populaire du Sud. The insurance policy was via Europ Assistance who have a good reputation. I was covered for skiing, but not for scuba diving. I switched banks to HSBC Advance and took out their Gold Visa Premier card. What a mistake. Although it does not exclude scuba diving, the insurance is via Axa who use an intermediary to process all claims. The intermediary (called SPB) appear to exist solely to refute claims. I had a valid small claim for a cancelled flight in Morocco that necessitated an overnight stay. It took three months and countless letters and emails to get them to settle. They were looking for any way at all to reject the claim and actually closed the claim at one stage when I could not produce some particular document.

I hope this is useful, if not immediately.