Franglais

Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:35 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Franglais

(put this in general forum but think it is perhaps more French really...)

Just a short note from the local papers. They report how a young Carcassonnais of 21 was surprised by the police while carrying out transaction of cannabis resin. They searched him and his car and found a set of scales and:

"un <joint> de shit"!

That's Franglais. Any other examples?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Franglais

Originally Posted by treskillard

Just a short note from the local papers. They report how a young Carcassonnais of 21 was surprised by the police while carrying out transaction of cannabis resin. They searched him and his car and found a set of scales and:

"un <joint> de shit"!

"Le weekend"
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

HauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jorgi
"Le weekend"
I work in french speaking Geneva and there's loads of franglais spoken there.

I heard "Je voudrais setuper le meeting" the other day.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

"un <joint> de shit"!

How about an example of "Frallemand"?

In western (as opposed to West) Germany we had "trottoir", "porte-monnaie" and of course the date of Carnival was "elfte elfte", 11th November. Elf derives (in this connection), from Egalite, Liberte, Fraternite" (Sorry but my keyboard doesn't do accents).

Back to Franglais.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 18th 2007 at 3:45 am.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Henry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HauteSavoieJim
Thats a great one. I've not heard that yet. I keep meaning to write some down from meetings because some of them are so funny. I always forget them.

'Tu peux me forwarder ce mail?' is the only one i can think of for the moment.

and le wording.

but there are so many. They also use strange English words like 'tip top' as in something doesn't have to be 'tip top'.

If this thread stays alive we could report on them as we hear them
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:18 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How about an example of "Frallemand"?

In western (as opposed to West) Germany we had "trottoir", "porte-monnaie" and of course the date of Carnival was "elfte elfte", 11th November. Elf derives (in this connection), from Egalite, Liberte, Fraternite" (Sorry but my keyboard doesn't do accents).

Back to Franglais.
That's odd Novocastrian! The 11th is armistice day - how did the connection to the Revolution come about?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:22 am
down under where

People and Pipolisation

The English word 'people' has entered the French language too. It is being used to refer to what we might term 'celebrity'. I've come across it a couple of times in the national papers in reference to Mme Sarkozy, the First Lady of France, wife of President Sarkozy. The growth of the cult of celebrity is being termed 'pipolisation' and the current presidence of Sarkozy as being 'pipolisee' (peoplised). These references come from Le Monde itself. Quelle Affaire.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Henry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant futureHenry Porter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HauteSavoieJim
I work in french speaking Geneva and there's loads of franglais spoken there.

Actually just thinking about that one again. Are you sure it was 'setuper' and not a reversion to English as in je voudrais 'set up a' meeting?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

People and Pipolisation

The English word 'people' has entered the French language too. It is being used to refer to what we might term 'celebrity'. I've come across it a couple of times in the national papers in reference to Mme Sarkozy, the First Lady of France, wife of President Sarkozy. The growth of the cult of celebrity is being termed 'pipolisation' and the current presidence of Sarkozy as being 'pipolisee' (peoplised). These references come from Le Monde itself. Quelle Affaire.
You she she's left him again
They reckon there will be an announcement soon of their seperation.
Shame
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:50 am
down under where

Originally Posted by val50
You she she's left him again
They reckon there will be an announcement soon of their seperation.
Shame
Shameless!
And after he gave her that nice job in Libya too.
And that new house in Paris.
I don't know some people just aren't satisfied.
What more could she want than a power-mad-demagogue for a partner?
Maybe she'll do like Jean Marie Le Pen's wife did back in the early 1990's and strip for a Penthouse (?) center spread?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

HauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Henry Porter
Actually just thinking about that one again. Are you sure it was 'setuper' and not a reversion to English as in je voudrais 'set up a' meeting?
Haha Good thinking, Henry...but no, this was definitely the Franglais verb "Setuper" because I have also seen it used in emails in the past tense, "j'ai setupé le meeting"
Old Oct 18th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

It's true the list is endless.

What can I say, the Sarkozy affair "Ce n'est pas très jet!" (as in Jet Set), another reference to "pipolisation", methinks.

We can also say that somebody is "plutôt fashion".

"Je vais checker" comes up regularly too.

Steven
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Shameless!
And after he gave her that nice job in Libya too.
And that new house in Paris.
I don't know some people just aren't satisfied.
What more could she want than a power-mad-demagogue for a partner?
Maybe she'll do like Jean Marie Le Pen's wife did back in the early 1990's and strip for a Penthouse (?) center spread?
I reckon he's got little man syndrome
Maybe we should start another thread on Bushisms
My favourite is "the problem with the French is they have no word
for entrepreneur"
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:54 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by val50
I reckon he's got little man syndrome
Maybe we should start another thread on Bushisms
My favourite is "the problem with the French is they have no word
for entrepreneur"
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treskillard;
That's odd Novocastrian! The 11th is armistice day - how did the connection to the Revolution come about?
It dates back to the Napoleonic occupation of the parts of Germany west of the Rhine. I'd have to research to be sure, but I think the choice of 11-11 was actually a sort of symbolic and ironic gesture of resistance: it certainly pre-dates 1918.

Elfte elfte is the day when the Carnivalverein (carnival societies) start their preparations for Rosenmontag. All hell breaks loose and good fun is had by all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.