Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

France Telecom / Livebox support

France Telecom / Livebox support

Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

asj968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default France Telecom / Livebox support

Does anyone know if there is an english speaking support line for France Telecom?

My parents have a livebox that went 'off' in July i.e. not connecting to the Internet. They took the box in to be looked at and it eventually tested ok. I have looked at it and all their internal cabling, replacing the wall sockets to illiminate and potential internal problems. They have been away for a month and have just returned. The box is still not working (or the connection into the house).

Whilst they speak enough french to get by, as you are aware, speaking to a support technician on the phone in another language can be quite difficult. Added to this, they have very limited technical knowledge.

I think that what they need is the connection from the exchange checking.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:45 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: France Telecom / Livebox support

Originally Posted by asj968
Does anyone know if there is an english speaking support line for France Telecom?

My parents have a livebox that went 'off' in July i.e. not connecting to the Internet. They took the box in to be looked at and it eventually tested ok. I have looked at it and all their internal cabling, replacing the wall sockets to illiminate and potential internal problems. They have been away for a month and have just returned. The box is still not working (or the connection into the house).

Whilst they speak enough french to get by, as you are aware, speaking to a support technician on the phone in another language can be quite difficult. Added to this, they have very limited technical knowledge.

I will start with the "Are you a qualified Telecoms Engineer" response, As just replacing the wall sockets will not necessarily remedy any problems and eliminates nothing.

To start with the ADSL Filter needs to be plugged in to the correct first and main socket that comes in to the house, Any other extensions within the house need to be wired through the ADSL filter otherwise No Sync will be established with the Dslam in the exchange.

Are they aware of how to connect to the Livebox and input their username and password that allows sync and connection to the PPP Server.

To start with identify the Main Socket then disconnect all phones and extensions plug the Adsl Filter into the main socket and then the Livebox into the Main Socket connect to the Livebox using a RJ45 cable(Normal networking Cable) open up a internet browser in the address bar type 192.168.1.1 this will bring up a page "named inventel wireless magic" at the bottom of the text is a link click it and it will ask for the user name and password which is "admin" "admin" for both when the page opens if they click the first and upper link on the left hand side which is "Services" a bunch of other options open below it then click "Internet" here the internet username and password can be entered that were supplied by Orange.

9 times out of 10 people phone with unworking connections, but its good old fashioned user error.

If you have hardwired extensions with phones plugged in these can cause Sync error, France Telecom will charge to remedy this Fault.

I keep meaning to write an English guide to be pinned, But find myself a bit busy.

Disclaimer these views and opinions are not the views of Orange France or France Telecom.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 6th 2009 at 2:54 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

I will commence with the "How do you define Qualified?" response. ;0)

Basically, I have been involved in IT for a number of years (20) and have installed a number of Networks including Wide area networks back in the days before Broadband and the likes.

However, I merely manage people in IT etc these days and am a little rusty on this sort of stuff.

Anyway, the reason for replacing the wall sockets was they were showing signs of corrosion etc. so thought at least have things put right before calling on FT.

I have logged onto the live box and basicallygot not very far with it. It is basically telling me there is no connection. I obviously tested all the filters etc as my first part of the diagnosis - replacing with new and ensuring that all the cabling, phones and livebox was all correct.

So I am convinced everything is ok internally - just need my parents to report it to FT. Hence the question regarding anyone know an english speaking number (this is not expected as they expect to speak french in France but it would be silly if someone later said there was an easier route to report it).
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:13 pm

I will commence with the "How do you define Qualified?" response. ;0)

Basically, I have been involved in IT for a number of years (20) and have installed a number of Networks including Wide area networks back in the days before Broadband and the likes.

However, I merely manage people in IT etc these days and am a little rusty on this sort of stuff.

Anyway, the reason for replacing the wall sockets was they were showing signs of corrosion etc. so thought at least have things put right before calling on FT.

I have logged onto the live box and basicallygot not very far with it. It is basically telling me there is no connection. I obviously tested all the filters etc as my first part of the diagnosis - replacing with new and ensuring that all the cabling, phones and livebox was all correct.

So I am convinced everything is ok internally - just need my parents to report it to FT. Hence the question regarding anyone know an english speaking number (this is not expected as they expect to speak french in France but it would be silly if someone later said there was an easier route to report it).
Well like I said, You need to eliminate all house hold options first otherwise it could become a chargeable visit from FT. So by eliminating all the hand sets from the house and extensions then attempting to set it up will give a clearer picture. If it does not Sync then well it could be a line fault although it could be distance related. Or not set up yet.

Do they experience any noise on the line.

Feel free to pm me their number and I can test the line.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

It has worked for the last 4 years with hardly a glitch. The thing that they do is switch it off when not being used which i have told them to leave it on all the time but they won't listen to me.

I will PM yo their number although i have performed a number of checks mysself.

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:34 am

It has worked for the last 4 years with hardly a glitch. The thing that they do is switch it off when not being used which i have told them to leave it on all the time but they won't listen to me.

I will PM yo their number although i have performed a number of checks mysself.

Cheers
01 55 78 60 56 Or the Number listed HERE Its a 0800

Line does not look faulty but there could be an intermittent problem.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:59 am

Thanks for your help
Your most Welcome.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there, This is a comment from a 'totally unqualified in the intricacies of the Livebox' woman. We had terrible problems. All line tests showed a weak but acceptable signal. (allegedly!) As the English speaking helpline won't deal with technical probs, I called the techs, but as you say, when the questions got technical, my French was inadequate. They refused to send an engineer unless there was someone here who could speak French! My estate agent called them, promised to be here when they arrived, (he had no intention) and the booking was made. The engineer arrived, was charming, told us it was a major fault, returned 2 days later with a convoy of France telecom vehicles and the fault was found about 2 kms down the road. That was about 15 months ago and it has been absolutely perfect ever since. They also refunded us 3 months rental. The only difficult person was the woman on the 'Helpline' in Paris. Everyone else was helpful, kind and efficient, which in our 18 months experience is the only kind of French person we have around these parts. Incidentally, because only one small fault was found on our property, the bill for two visits, the second one which involved 3 vehicles, 5 engineers and 5 hours work, cost around 50 euros. Give them a call and just tell them you need an engineer. Bon courage..
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

The website says services include:

> information and creation of fixed lines and internet connections,
> technical support for landline and internet services,
> information and advice about billing and payment .

I will report how we get on.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Good News

After an hour on the phone with FT tech support - unplugging everything, plugging back in reinstalling software and reconfiguring the box - it all works.

for FT tech support.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Good News

After an hour on the phone with FT tech support - unplugging everything, plugging back in reinstalling software and reconfiguring the box - it all works.

for FT tech support.
Did they speak English?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yes - And my father said they were very patient with him - which is more than I am
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Yes - And my father said they were very patient with him - which is more than I am
Thats really good
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Enejay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: livebox Fti/ prefix

hi, Is there any one who could help me remove wanadoo's fti/ prefix ?
thanks
Ng

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.