Reload this Page >

France and Autism

France and Autism

Old Sep 6th 2020, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

TheFatEagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default France and Autism

Hello all,
My family and I are in the VERY early stages of considering a move to France or Spain. I have a 5 year-old who is diagnosed with Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder and a 19-month old who may also be showing early signs of being on the spectrum.
I have read through several threads that paint a fairly bleak picture of going through school with autism. Most of these posts are a couple of years old and I hoped that someone may be able to tell me if things have progressed at all in that time or know what the current picture is?
Any such move would be huge and, at present, we do have access to an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) & Occupational Therapist. I don’t want to put him in a worse situation or face possible future struggles with diagnosis for my other son.
Can anyone shed any light or provide any experiences?
Thank you so much in advance.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 6:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: France and Autism

Originally Posted by TheFatEagle
Hello all,
My family and I are in the VERY early stages of considering a move to France or Spain. I have a 5 year-old who is diagnosed with Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder and a 19-month old who may also be showing early signs of being on the spectrum.
I have read through several threads that paint a fairly bleak picture of going through school with autism. Most of these posts are a couple of years old and I hoped that someone may be able to tell me if things have progressed at all in that time or know what the current picture is?
Any such move would be huge and, at present, we do have access to an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) & Occupational Therapist. I don’t want to put him in a worse situation or face possible future struggles with diagnosis for my other son.
Can anyone shed any light or provide any experiences?
Thank you so much in advance.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Autisme France - Autisme France
should give all the info you need.
Take a look at the Autism thread in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above - not up-to-date, but still pertinent and I haven't heard of any changes. I'm wondering how your 5-year old could be assessed, assuming he won't understand what the assessor is saying. How is your own French? Could you cope with the extra Bureaucracy involved?
PetiteFrançaise who no longer lives in France might see your thread and advise, but IMO it would be very daunting for you and your family to move to France, and you are rightly questioning your children's future first, before researching your employment status and healthcare coverage if you decide to move here after all...
HTH
Old Sep 7th 2020, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: France and Autism

DMU's last sentence is very important-how are you going to make a living in France especially if you do not move before Jan? You will need a visa of some description before you can move here and you would need to show how you can support yourself ie a job or pension Then of course there are the healthcare issues Just living in France does not qualify you or your family to French healthcare or other support as it does in the UK so you need to think very carefully about this