Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Fracking in France?

Fracking in France?

Old May 27th 2017, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

leapylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fracking in France?

Hi 2 years on and still dreaming of a place in France.

Here in the UK, and within a mile or so of where we live, we are under threat from fracking. Our council voted against it but the UK government has imposed it on us and our beautiful area is under threat of (direct quote) 'becoming the largest gas field in Europe'. The fracking site is the scene of daily protests, a huge police presence (when frankly at the moment they should be concentrating their efforts elsewhere) and police brutality is becoming the norm.

Just wondering what the current situation is in France - specifically in Occitanie? We heard it had been banned (as in other European countries) but a French lady we were talking to at a local protest said it was going to happen in Nord Pas de Calais and I can't seem to find anything up to date on the internet. It really is a dreadful industry and I want to avoid it at all costs!

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27th 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fracking in France?

Originally Posted by leapylee
Hi 2 years on and still dreaming of a place in France.

Here in the UK, and within a mile or so of where we live, we are under threat from fracking. Our council voted against it but the UK government has imposed it on us and our beautiful area is under threat of (direct quote) 'becoming the largest gas field in Europe'. The fracking site is the scene of daily protests, a huge police presence (when frankly at the moment they should be concentrating their efforts elsewhere) and police brutality is becoming the norm.

Just wondering what the current situation is in France - specifically in Occitanie? We heard it had been banned (as in other European countries) but a French lady we were talking to at a local protest said it was going to happen in Nord Pas de Calais and I can't seem to find anything up to date on the internet. It really is a dreadful industry and I want to avoid it at all costs!

Thanks in advance.
I cannot answer your question but would you explain what you mean by police brutality?

Last edited by audio; May 27th 2017 at 8:17 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 27th 2017, 8:26 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
I cannot answer your question but would you explain what you mean by police brutality?
Not sure but it may be a euphemism for maintaining law and order......
Old May 28th 2017, 6:27 am
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

Fracking is the way forward for inexpensive, and abundant energy. The dragging of governmental heels, in the short term, will not prevent it. It is coming.

However, the footprint of a fracking plant is far smaller, and much less intrusive - especially in the long term, than wind turbine establishments ever will be. Add the fact that there is no strobing, no audible nuisance, and birds are not imperilled, plus the fact that establishing a wind farm takes ages, is disruptive, with heavy traffic, and the building of huge concrete installations to support the turbines, and the resulting visual blight upon the countryside, there really is no contest. Fracking is by far the preferable option, despite unfounded scare sources.

Under Sarkozy and later Hollande, fracking was banned in France - no doubt that is even more the case now, under his protege, Macron. But fracking is coming, eventually. In the interests of everyone, it can't come soon enough.
Old May 28th 2017, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As Chris'n'Julie say(s), at the moment fracking is banned and France's energy policies are focused primarily on energy efficiency but who knows what the future will bring, policies have to evolve as situations change. Maybe if the UK fracks enough, France can buy energy from them and won't need to spoil its own environment
Old May 28th 2017, 7:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie
Fracking is the way forward for inexpensive, and abundant energy. The dragging of governmental heels, in the short term, will not prevent it. It is coming.

However, the footprint of a fracking plant is far smaller, and much less intrusive - especially in the long term, than wind turbine establishments ever will be. Add the fact that there is no strobing, no audible nuisance, and birds are not imperilled, plus the fact that establishing a wind farm takes ages, is disruptive, with heavy traffic, and the building of huge concrete installations to support the turbines, and the resulting visual blight upon the countryside, there really is no contest. Fracking is by far the preferable option, despite unfounded scare sources.

Under Sarkozy and later Hollande, fracking was banned in France - no doubt that is even more the case now, under his protege, Macron. But fracking is coming, eventually. In the interests of everyone, it can't come soon enough.
Absolute tosh. Ever heard of climate change?
Old May 28th 2017, 7:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie

I wasn't aware that Macron was Hollande's protégé?
As every one has said,"fracturation hydraulique" is banned in France, and IMO rightly so, one of the reasons being that it consumes much too much precious water.
I imagine that, with Nicolas Hulot as Minister of Ecology, there won't be any change in legislation for the next 5 years....
Old May 28th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Leapylee,
Fracking is possible in certain areas because of the geology.
Look for areas where fracking is unlikely.
If you think that the police in the UK are brutal then you wouldn't like the french police.
The CRS take no prisoners when they deal with the public.
Do wind farms upset you because there are loads of them in France?
Do nuclear power stations upset you because there are many of those also?
Old May 29th 2017, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. Don't really want to get into a discussion about whether fracking is a good or bad thing. We all have, and are entitled to, our own opinion & I have mine after being under threat of it now for several years and reading up about the industry.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I live 200 miles south of Dallas. Fracking and seismic activity is a concern. This article seems like a good one - it's balanced for one which most aren't. I would also be concerned about living in an area near fracking.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-solve-mystery
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I live 200 miles south of Dallas. Fracking and seismic activity is a concern. This article seems like a good one - it's balanced for one which most aren't. I would also be concerned about living in an area near fracking.
The article is behind a paywall for me, pf. Can you post a different link to the material?
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 3:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The article is behind a paywall for me, pf. Can you post a different link to the material?
no. but I have adblockplus extension and that seems to have removed the paywall.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 3:09 pm
Born again atheist

no. but I have adblockplus extension and that seems to have removed the paywall.
I'm running adblock too (in Safari, OSX). Not to worry.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that - it makes interesting, if worrying, reading.

We have already experienced 1 earthquake back in 2011 following the first attempt at fracking in the area and which resulted in the well (& fracking in the UK) being abandoned and there has since been problems with the well structure necessitating remedial work. A lot of land in the Fylde area is unstable anyway and there are already many instances of building subsidence (pre fracking).