Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

first weeks of move

first weeks of move

Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Dave Ozzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default first weeks of move

Hi again , ive been reading through a few threads and getting some good help with most relevant issues, Just to get the feel for it would it be far to say that once you've made the move to France and you have settled in . all the red tape issues,paperwork, the formal stuff . Well! can it be dealt with at your own pace with no great urgency. {i know that the French dont rush themselves} but i would hate to think that my first few weeks would be spent sorting all that stuff out rather than over shadowing my new found excitement of a new home and new country
Regards
David
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:11 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: first weeks of move

Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie
Hi again , ive been reading through a few threads and getting some good help with most relevant issues, Just to get the feel for it would it be far to say that once you've made the move to France and you have settled in . all the red tape issues,paperwork, the formal stuff . Well! can it be dealt with at your own pace with no great urgency. {i know that the French dont rush themselves} but i would hate to think that my first few weeks would be spent sorting all that stuff out rather than over shadowing my new found excitement of a new home and new country
Regards
David
Pretty much with the exception of medical paperwork, Because you never know when you might find yourself in the back of an ambulance and even the small percentage that is not covered by the likes of a Carte Vitale can add up very quickly. Sort your top up insurance out
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie
{i know that the French dont rush themselves}
Hi, this might be true in private life, when you need an artisan, ... but from an Administrative viewpoint, woe betide if you miss a deadline.
As mentioned, the Carte Vitale or the like should be obtained ASAP.
Some one who's moved here recently can tell you what the compulsory formalities with deadlines are nowadays for new EU residents, but be aware that when you start paying taxes (Income Tax, Property Taxes..) you get a fine if you don't pay by the deadline, utility bills have a due date and you get registered letters if you don't pay, you need to terminate contracts (insurance, for example) by registered letter 2 or 3 months before the deadline, businesses must pay the Contributions by a deadline, the list is endless...
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:53 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Don't stress about taxes, David. We moved in in Feb 2009 and didn't pay the taxe d'habitation until this year. The foncieres are also often to be paid a year later. But have just been due. Simply declare yourself "here" at the mairie (as is the custom anyway) and when the time comes next year to pay it, go to the tax office and make sure you are on their register. Try around July/August time.

You will have to think about getting your bins sorted some time...the French are into recycling right now. Again, a trip to the mairie because they are issued in your name. Not desperate if your previous owners have had them but they are supposed to be registered to the householder.

Check your telephone connection is also in your name...it can take weeks for someone to put you on line if the previous occupants have had it cut off. Think about how you are going to get British TV if you want it and it isn't already installed.

And I absolutly agree about the health cover. Go to an insurance company and decide what level of mutualite (added cover) you need.

Then find your nearest bar/restaurant and enjoy!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Etoile de Berger
Don't stress about taxes, David.
Hi, I did say "when you START paying taxes...".
I simply wanted to give examples of Administrative and legal deadlines so it won't come as a shock to the OP to discover that France is a land of deadlines.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:15 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Take that as understood.
But the OP asked about what is a necessity in the immediate few weeks of arrival.
AFA taxes are concerned, it is a LESS pressing issue than perhaps in the UK.

That's all!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we all agree!
What I'm trying to get over to the OP is that he should forget his idea that the French in general don't rush themselves.
Fore-warned is fore-armed....