Reload this Page >

FIRST AID IN FRANCE

FIRST AID IN FRANCE

Old Sep 1st 2019, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

rosiekpn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FIRST AID IN FRANCE

Hello!

Looking to set up business in France (English speaking).

Please does anyone have any information regarding the health and safety organisations in France. Who writes the regulations and where can I find them?

Has anyone taken an English speaking first aid course in France and with whom?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIRST AID IN FRANCE

Here below are a few useful links.
However EuroTrash should be able to provide more precise info. It would especially help to know what business you plan to set up.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2210

https://www.service-public.fr/profes...sdroits/N16147
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/N518
https://humanis.com/entreprise/compl...ritable-enjeu/
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Thank you for this.

I am hoping to run First Aid Courses in English for lay people. Specifically starting with Paediatric First Aid for the public- parents, babysitters etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably already familiar with the fundamentals of setting up a business. If not give THIS a read.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 5:30 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

so you moved to near Toulouse?
I wouldn't set up a business hoping for enough anglophone customers to keep you going - especially for such a small market ( english speakers/non french speakers with young children who are worried about first aid and will pay for it...)
There's an english speaking mums and tots group that meets in Leguevin, perhaps you know of it?
Apart from setting up a business in France being a particular headache, anything to do with healthcare is even more so. Very highly regulated and I can't imagine that you would be allowed to teach this without having a medical qualification. If you do and it is UK then it probably won't be recognised for EU equivalency post Brexit.
google search for "etre formateur premiers secours" gave this link
https://www.protection-civile.org/fo...-en-secourisme
which suggests that you have to take a course.
I would ask at the Toulouse chambre of commerce for information regarding this. They are usually very helpful and will let you know about the requirements.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response albeit 90% negative.

I`m a paediatric Nurse with an additional six years experience in Paediatric Accident and Emergency so I'm more qualified than any First Aider, and I'm not surprised in the least it is regulated. As for customers I'm very encouraged by the interest so far, and thankfully I am already financially stable so will not be relying on the business solely for income. However to someone else your comments could be really discouraging. Apart from that, having seen the devastating consequences of someone arriving in hospital having received no first aid prior to the ambulance arriving on more occasions than I can count I am extremely passionate about the importance of what even a little knowledge can do (that's save lives if you weren't sure). Just because you won't pay for something out of ignorance or arrogance bears no reflection at all on my previous experience of trading in 'such a small market`.

Thank you for the suggestion to contact the chamber of commerce, this was actually helpful and I will certainly try this avenue for more information.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 6:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosiekpn
Thanks for your response albeit 90% negative.

I`m a paediatric Nurse with an additional six years experience in Paediatric Accident and Emergency so I'm more qualified than any First Aider, and I'm not surprised in the least it is regulated. As for customers I'm very encouraged by the interest so far, and thankfully I am already financially stable so will not be relying on the business solely for income. However to someone else your comments could be really discouraging. Apart from that, having seen the devastating consequences of someone arriving in hospital having received no first aid prior to the ambulance arriving on more occasions than I can count I am extremely passionate about the importance of what even a little knowledge can do (that's save lives if you weren't sure). Just because you won't pay for something out of ignorance or arrogance bears no reflection at all on my previous experience of trading in 'such a small market`.

Thank you for the suggestion to contact the chamber of commerce, this was actually helpful and I will certainly try this avenue for more information.
I think you've been a bit unfair with this response to a long-term resident of France who was only trying to assist you. Perhaps just take on board what you feel is relevant to you and not take offence at information that you feel isn't relevant to your particular circumstances.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

It felt really unfair to me. Really disheartening for someone here looking for support and advice. "I wouldn't set up a business" such as yours essentially. I`ll just attempt to unsubscribe if I can.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 8:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think you've been a bit unfair with this response to a long-term resident of France who was only trying to assist you. Perhaps just take on board what you feel is relevant to you and not take offence at information that you feel isn't relevant to your particular circumstances.
unfortunately, I lived in France for 11 years and ran a business there. In a healthcare field. I saw people set up businesses and finish them. I knew people that ran into massive problems with the tax/healthcare/retirement payments. I knew english people that tried to run businesses under the radar. I knew people that tried to get a business going relying on the english speaking population, some managed ( especially the builders!!)but most didn't.
The biggest mistake people make is assuming that it is just like the UK and it really, really isn't.
The first thing that the chambre de commerce advisors will do is check to see if the OP needs a particular qualification to offer the first aid course (and from my reading, she will) so we'll see.

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 1:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
unfortunately, I lived in France for 11 years and ran a business there. In a healthcare field. I saw people set up businesses and finish them. I knew people that ran into massive problems with the tax/healthcare/retirement payments. I knew english people that tried to run businesses under the radar. I knew people that tried to get a business going relying on the english speaking population, some managed ( especially the builders!!)but most didn't.
The biggest mistake people make is assuming that it is just like the UK and it really, really isn't.
The first thing that the chambre de commerce advisors will do is check to see if the OP needs a particular qualification to offer the first aid course (and from my reading, she will) so we'll see.
I really appreciate BE members like you who offer sincere and well informed advice on a voluntary basis. It's unfortunate that valuable advice regarding possible pitfalls and hurdles is sometimes taken to be negative, these are often the most important things to know.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 1:58 am
Austin. TX.

so, apart from already spending time trying to give the OP realistic expectations I have just spent a little more time investigating what the OP might need to do in order to teach first aid.
I vaguely remembered my older kids having done first aid at school and I was right, they are taught in college and are awarded a certificate when they have completed the class - called the PSC1. This is the first hurdle that the OP needs to jump - she needs to prove that she has an equivalent qualification. Being a nurse might do the trick but again, only until the UK leaves the EU and then equivalency probably goes out the window.

Once she has completed this first stage of getting the PSC1,then it looks like she has to take BREVET NATIONAL DE MONITEUR DES PREMIERS SECOURS.
http://www.isere.gouv.fr/content/dow...%20PAE%203.pdf
please note "Tout candidat qui souhaite se présenter à l'examen doit être présenté par un organisme public habilité ou une association nationale agréée"
I have no idea if her nursing qualifications will exempt her from this Brevet and if it doesn't she will need to contact an organisation like the croix rouge to ask about how to get them to sponsor her for the Brevet. So those are the 2 first important items to ask at the chamber of commerce.
Then there is the matter of whether or not she can give lessons just using micro-entreprise business structure. All the answers I found concerning giving first aid classes were from "associations" which might prove tricky to operate but at least that isn't a full on business structure. So that is another question to ask at the chamber of commerce - what is the allowable business structure?
Micro-entreprise would be best for how she plans to proceed. Anything else would probably mean paying cotisations ( health + retirement payments ) and she probably won't earn enough to justify going that route.
Bon Courage and maybe let us know how it goes.....
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 8:58 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I really appreciate BE members like you who offer sincere and well informed advice on a voluntary basis. It's unfortunate that valuable advice regarding possible pitfalls and hurdles is sometimes taken to be negative, these are often the most important things to know.
+ 1

Nobody wants to hear about difficulties unfortunately and ''The messenger gets shot'' ...
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

rosiekpn, I sincerely hope you don't unsubscribe, you won't find a better resource for moving to France. I know, I've looked. My wife and I moved here last year as inactif (early retired) and even that has been a headache in so many areas, not all of it resolved yet. I have asked questions ad nauseam on here and received a wealth of good advice.
I understand that negative advise can seem unfair, but take a deep breath and look at what has been written. You came for support and advice and got both, even if it wasn't what you hoped to hear. The advice was sound as ever and the support was that no one here takes the slightest pleasure in someone coming to France and failing through not understanding how things work here. Try to think of it more as a wakeup call. You need more information and this is the place to find it.
I think you also took offence at what you thought was an attempt to discredit you medical skills, qualifications and experiences. That is completely untrue. From what I understand France demands french qualifications with few exceptions. I have worked for over 35 years in theatre, film, TV, museums etc, ran three businesses, taught in two theatre colleges and made public sculptures for famous artists, yet I wouldn't find work here without retraining because I have no qualifications.
You now have some idea of how difficult your plans are. Come back, ask more questions, understand the system and work out what you have to do and what is available to you.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

It felt really unfair to me. Really disheartening for someone here looking for support and advice. "I wouldn't set up a business" such as yours essentially. I`ll just attempt to unsubscribe if I can.
Hi, if you're still around, please take on board all advice given by long-standing members with experience of French bureaucracy even if they aren't in your line of work. pf has spent time doing research for you and it's not her fault that you aren't satisfied. This is France and things are so different here. Better to be aware of all the disheartening pitfalls.... As I'm wont to say, fore-warned is fore-armed.
If your qualifications can be validated in France and you pass the exam. to justify your level of French, why not do (part-time) Nursing? And you could volunteer at your local Croix Rouge as a bénévole...
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

@Rosiekpn,
It occasionally does happen and is unfortunate when someone suggests they will unsubscribe from the forum after receiving valuable information - albeit not exactly what they wanted to hear. I note that since that info was given, PFrancaise has spent further time to furnish you with additional valuable info which could well assist you in the future. Imho this alone merits some recognition.
I suggest you stick around, as your eventual feedback on perhaps obtaining a Brevet International for First Aid could well assist others and add value to this forum. Good luck!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Sep 4th 2019 at 3:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.