Reload this Page >

Finding a Nanny in France

Finding a Nanny in France

Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:16 am
Just Joined

LadyBell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a Nanny in France

Hi Everyone,

We are a young family moving to Centre region in France very soon. We will be looking for a nounou for our 13 month old during the weekday.

Does anyone have suggestions on websites or agencies to source a good nou nou before or once we arrive?

Also wondering if any families can share their experience with cost for a nanny M - F?

Thanks so much for any information you can provide.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:02 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a Nanny in France

Originally Posted by LadyBell
Hi Everyone,

We are a young family moving to Centre region in France very soon. We will be looking for a nounou for our 13 month old during the weekday.

Does anyone have suggestions on websites or agencies to source a good nou nou before or once we arrive?

Also wondering if any families can share their experience with cost for a nanny M - F?

Thanks so much for any information you can provide.
Hi, the term you must look for is "assistante maternelle". Most parents ask at their Mairie or their local CAF, since the profession is governed by the Conseil Départemental, and you can choose to have a registered one to look after your child at home or at her own home with a few others.
https://www.pajemploi.urssaf.fr/paje...istante-m.html
The following link indicates an AM's minimum salary - I believe this figure applies to low-income families and increases proportionally to the parents' joint income. The balance is subsidized by the Conseil....
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F12812
I personnally used to employ a non-registered child minder for half a day and occasional student babysitters before my two started school at 3, while I worked (from home), but this was last century and the regulations have changed since then!
HTH
P.S. You can only seek an AM once you've arrived, and have to fill in a lot of inevitable paperwork! Sorry I can't help re private nanny agencies.

Last edited by dmu; Jun 18th 2019 at 7:07 am.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:20 am
Just Joined

LadyBell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dmu thanks for the details. This looks good, as we are on a tourist visa I believe we don't qualify for any subsidies but I will check in with the Mairie once we arrive. We are fine to pay out of pocket as we do here in the US. Can I ask what you paid an hour?

I'm also looking on yoopies. fre and gardez-mes-enfrants. fr websites that I was sent to from another group, their very similar to sitterycity and urbansitter in the states, I'm hoping they work out.

I'll follow up here once we've secured a nanny. Thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2019, 6:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyBell
Hi dmu thanks for the details. This looks good, as we are on a tourist visa I believe we don't qualify for any subsidies but I will check in with the Mairie once we arrive. We are fine to pay out of pocket as we do here in the US. Can I ask what you paid an hour?

I'm also looking on yoopies. fre and gardez-mes-enfrants. fr websites that I was sent to from another group, their very similar to sitterycity and urbansitter in the states, I'm hoping they work out.

I'll follow up here once we've secured a nanny. Thanks!
After looking through your other threads, there's no point in trying to find a nanny via the Mairie or the CAV, since you won't be getting into the "System" if you're on a Tourist Visa. You'd need to go through private channels... Sorry, I've forgotten how much I paid per hour, since it was last century and in francs!
I'm still wondering about your employment status, despite what the French Embassy told you. How will you be covered for Healthcare Insurance in France if you aren't paying côtisations? Even if you take out private insurance every year, ask your Accountant how to deal with the URSSAF, the collector of côtisations, when it discovers your professional activities without a conventional business structure, and sends Inspectors along.... Which reminds me that, if you're renting, your landlord must give you written consent to work at home.
Sorry to have gone off on a tangent and even sound like a panic-monger, but there are French quirks which future expats working from home may not be aware of... As I'm wont to say, fore-warned is fore-armed...
Old Jun 20th 2019, 7:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi again! Some one will come along to correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that a short AirBnB rental contract might not be considered by the Mairie as sufficient "justificatif de domicile" in the Commune when you enrol your two elder children, esp. if you can't add a Utility Bill in your name. Have you sorted out their Primary School? IMO you should look for a long-term rental as soon as you arrive - the Contract will prove to the Mairie that you intend to live in the Commune for more than 3 months....
Old Jun 20th 2019, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

DMU raises some very good issues here, and I too was wondering in your situation how you will stand regarding healthcare and especially dealing with social security contributions on earned income/URSSAF etc.
Not so many years ago it would have been much less of a problem, as URSSAF inspectors were certainly not pro-active as they are now. Then so many folks would have been working 'under the radar' with very liitle to fear. Things have now changed out of all proportion. HERE's an interesting link.
The plus points are you are doing all the research in order to understand the pitfalls and potential retributions.
As I understand it, the regime under which you plan to work is all important, and must be clearly defined. I believe there are four different sectors (known as regimes) which offer benefits such as healthcare, pension, unemployment and family income support. This is often transparent to the worker him/herself, as all the administration involved would have been set up prior to commencement by the overseas company which employs you. This was my case, being employed by a UK multi-national company and everything was handled by the HR department prior to my arrival in France.
Others more capable than myself may be able to advise further.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 20th 2019 at 8:56 am.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 9:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
DMU raises some very good issues here, and I too was wondering in your situation how you will stand regarding healthcare and especially dealing with social security contributions on earned income/URSSAF etc.
Not so many years ago it would have been much less of a problem, as URSSAF inspectors were certainly not pro-active as they are now. Then so many folks would have been working 'under the radar' with very liitle to fear. Things have now changed out of all proportion. HERE's an interesting link.
The plus points are you are doing all the research in order to understand the pitfalls and potential retributions.
As I understand it, the regime under which you plan to work is all important, and must be clearly defined. I believe there are four different sectors (known as regimes) which offer benefits such as healthcare, pension, unemployment and family income support. This is often transparent to the worker him/herself, as all the administration involved would have been set up prior to commencement by the overseas company which employs you. This was my case, being employed by a UK multi-national company and everything was handled by the HR department prior to my arrival in France.
Others more capable than myself may be able to advise further.
This isn't clear from what LadyBell has said in her other thread. They will both be "working remotely" and "work from home for US tech companies and will live and work in France for US companies while there on a Visitor Visa", but without specifying their respective status. Have these companies sorted out all the issues involved? Are both parents still employees of the companies, or considered as self-employed? What complicates matters is that they are US Citizens and don't come under the EU Regulations which we usually advise on for expats coming from the UK (at least at the moment...)
Hopefully everything sorts itself out for them, as their year-long Visa starts in July...
@LadyBell - All the best, and please keep us updated!
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, the term you must look for is "assistante maternelle". Most parents ask at their Mairie or their local CAF, since the profession is governed by the Conseil Départemental, and you can choose to have a registered one to look after your child at home or at her own home with a few others.
https://www.pajemploi.urssaf.fr/paje...istante-m.html
The following link indicates an AM's minimum salary - I believe this figure applies to low-income families and increases proportionally to the parents' joint income. The balance is subsidized by the Conseil....
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F12812
I personnally used to employ a non-registered child minder for half a day and occasional student babysitters before my two started school at 3, while I worked (from home), but this was last century and the regulations have changed since then!
HTH
P.S. You can only seek an AM once you've arrived, and have to fill in a lot of inevitable paperwork! Sorry I can't help re private nanny agencies.
Hi DMU,
A re-read had me smiling at your exclamation, "I worked (from home), but this was last century and the regulations have changed since then!"
Don't feel too bad about that. Below is a pic from the archives of our nounou arriving last century.........
Not sure about the nounou's wage, but the coachman was always given a complimentary bag of fumier.

Old Jul 1st 2019, 11:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Hi DMU,
A re-read had me smiling at your exclamation, "I worked (from home), but this was last century and the regulations have changed since then!"
Don't feel too bad about that. Below is a pic from the archives of our nounou arriving last century.........
Not sure about the nounou's wage, but the coachman was always given a complimentary bag of fumier.

J

just come back from a trip to find this!

Has LadyBell meanwhile left the building?
Old Jul 1st 2019, 11:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
J

just come back from a trip to find this!

Has LadyBell meanwhile left the building?

TBH, the forum has been so quiet of late that I was worrying that everybody had left the building.

I hope your trip involved avoiding the worst of la canicule?
Old Jul 1st 2019, 9:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
TBH, the forum has been so quiet of late that I was worrying that everybody had left the building.

I hope your trip involved avoiding the worst of la canicule?
Actually no, I was in Berlin and it was possibly worse than in France!