Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Fibre-Optic Broadband

Fibre-Optic Broadband

Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Diana_France is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fibre-Optic Broadband

Living on France/Swiss border, our village can use fibre-optic broadband provided from CERN. We have enrolled for this with Wibox (Altinet or Luxinet as was, they keep chaning the name)but are having problems with the phone facilities.

System consists of fibre optic to a box on the wall, with another fibre-optic line to the router. Thereafter just like ADSL routers: ethernet cable to my network, phone lead from router to phone socket. No need for mico-filters as there's no connection to the FT line.

We were using one phone with two lines in - one from FT, the other from our Orange ADSL Livebox. After connecting Wibox instead of Orange, the line won't work on the two-line phone, although it does work on a second phone.

Anyone know why our phone won't work on the new line?

We are getting a lot of phantom calls. Not silent sales calls, just phantom rings. Wibox acknowledged there was a problem, due to be fixed weeks ago. The number of such calls has reduced dramatically, but there are still some.

The Wibox phone often doesn't work and I have to reboot the Wibox router. It has become a daily morning check.

Anyone else used Wibox? I've found customer services abysmal, and I'm a computer expert who used to run an IT helpdesk so have probably checked everything better than the average punter before contacting Wibox.

Any experiences or advice would be welcome.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:39 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fibre-Optic Broadband

Hi - not familiar with your kit, others here will be so hang on and welcome. We found when we switched to SFR from Orange/FT things did not go smoothly. This is now sorted, but it included taking money from standing order even though contract cancelled. It may be what's coming in rather than what you have in, if you follow. O/FT it seems doesn't like losing a customer.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:54 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Forum, Should you have any issues give myself Mitzyboy or Sue a shout, If you have any functionality issues with the Site then pop in to the Site Feedback Section.

Originally Posted by Diana_France
Living on France/Swiss border, our village can use fibre-optic broadband provided from CERN. We have enrolled for this with Wibox (Altinet or Luxinet as was, they keep chaning the name)but are having problems with the phone facilities.

System consists of fibre optic to a box on the wall, with another fibre-optic line to the router. Thereafter just like ADSL routers: ethernet cable to my network, phone lead from router to phone socket. No need for mico-filters as there's no connection to the FT line.

We were using one phone with two lines in - one from FT, the other from our Orange ADSL Livebox. After connecting Wibox instead of Orange, the line won't work on the two-line phone, although it does work on a second phone.

Anyone know why our phone won't work on the new line?

We are getting a lot of phantom calls. Not silent sales calls, just phantom rings. Wibox acknowledged there was a problem, due to be fixed weeks ago. The number of such calls has reduced dramatically, but there are still some.

The Wibox phone often doesn't work and I have to reboot the Wibox router. It has become a daily morning check.

Anyone else used Wibox? I've found customer services abysmal, and I'm a computer expert who used to run an IT helpdesk so have probably checked everything better than the average punter before contacting Wibox.

Any experiences or advice would be welcome.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

Hi Diana,
I'm just up the road from you, and we're just waiting on K-Net to do our installation as we'd heard a few problems with luxinet/wibox.

I know a guy in Sergy who maybe able to help you (I'll pass this post on to him in the morning). But without going into the router myself or himself and having a look trying to diagnose it over t'interweb is gonna be impossible. The fact it is all over the show says to me it's equipment, or exchange related.

One idea, do you have another router to hand, you can pick one up for buttons in media markt in Meyrin if not. If not I take it you've been into the router 192.168.0.1 or something like that and had a look around at the config to make sure somethings not switched off? Sorry can't be of much help.

On a side note: are you sure it's the CERN network your connected to, I'm 90% sure that only goes to the technoparc in St Genis and to the Prevessin site. As far as I understood it CERN joined their network to these fellas http://www.reso-liain.fr to gain access to the CERN internet exchange point, as a central European hub but I could be mistaken.