Reload this Page >

Ferry to France

Ferry to France

Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:19 pm
Banned

ashleygerrald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ferry to France

Hi Guys,
I am studying in London. Planning to visit France for Christmas vacation and planning to take ferry. Also i plan to visit Belgium and Germany. I heard norfolkine ferry operator providing services from Dover- Dunkrik. Just wanted to know which port would be better, Dover or Calais. Exuse me of being a newbie:
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry to France

Originally Posted by ashleygerrald
Hi Guys,
I am studying in London. Planning to visit France for Christmas vacation and planning to take ferry. Also i plan to visit Belgium and Germany. I heard norfolkine ferry operator providing services from Dover- Dunkrik. Just wanted to know which port would be better, Dover or Calais. Exuse me of being a newbie:
Hi there, and welcome to the forum
Presuming you meant to query Calais or Dunkirk as being the better port.
You also don't mention if you travelling as a foot passenger or using a car?
That would also make a difference. If I had the choice though I'd go Dover-Calais. Dunkirk is a bit out of the way.
Have you also looked at using Eurotunnel? The Channel can be quite unpredictable at that time of year, and ferry crossings often cancelled at short notice.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

If you book early you can get some good discount on the eurotun too.

Happy hunting
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:16 am
Just Joined

BrianS will become famous soon enoughBrianS will become famous soon enough

If you are driving, one point worth noting is that the motorway out of Dunkirk is free all the way down to Arras whereas if you use Calais you are paying almost immediately, just a thought

I personally found Norfolk line to be pretty competitive each time I used them, although I agree if the weather turns nasty you could be in for a long wait.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:46 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themoose
If you book early you can get some good discount on the eurotun too.

Happy hunting
It's closed at the mo.........Check the Fire Thread
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Post Re: Ferry to France

Just booked a ferry from Dunkirk to Dover and back using the Ferry Booking service on my website and got the complete trip for 44GBP thats 22GBP each way and yes I am driving. Admittedly it is in October/November not at Christmas but I personally think that will take some beating.

I will also get some commission as I am affiliated to the booking service so what a winner.

Last edited by BrianS; Sep 12th 2008 at 8:19 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:46 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrianS
Just booked a ferry from Dunkirk to Dover and back using the Ferry Booking service on my website and got the complete trip for 44GBP thats 22GBP each way and yes I am driving. Admittedly it is in October/November not at Christmas but I personally think that will take some beating.

I will also get some commission as I am affiliated to the booking service so what a winner.

Hello Brian

Sounds great indeed! Do they do the Portsmouth - Caen route as well?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Post Re: Ferry to France

Hi Jazzy,

Yes they do, they do pretty much all the options as far as I can see. Not sure what the cost will be for this route, depends on your travel details, but it's worth a look.

Let me know if you need some help checking it out.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:10 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrianS
Hi Jazzy,

Yes they do, they do pretty much all the options as far as I can see. Not sure what the cost will be for this route, depends on your travel details, but it's worth a look.

Let me know if you need some help checking it out.

Thanks Brian, as I said in my PM, your site is very useful indeed and I would recommend it to all if you're thinking of crossing the puddle.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, I have put a lot of effort into the travel advice site and it is nice to hear it is appreciated.