Reload this Page >

Ferries and Dogs !!

Ferries and Dogs !!

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

gaynor542 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ferries and Dogs !!

Hi
we are seriously thinking about buying in Mael Carhaix in the near future but in the meantime plan to spend a month occasionally to ease ourselfs in and see how we get on, we have family there already.
One of the attractions is that its not too far to take our very spoiled dogs. So just want to ask opinions as to which is the best way and quickest way to get there. I think I would rather opt for a quick ferry even if it meant more driving when we get to France. i'm just not sure how they will cope as I understand they have to be left in the car.
Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferries and Dogs !!

Why not use the Tunnel, then you'll be in the car with them?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Would that be from Folkstone to Calais ? Also could somebody tell me what the procedure is when you get there. I know they need passports and jabs. Do they still need to be wormed in France when leaving for the UK. And do they have to go to a vet or could we do this ourself ?
Many thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

HI the chunnel is Folkestone to Calais and is very simple - yes you need the wormer - stamped by a vet and all the vaccinations inc rabies up to date

I would avoid the ferries as there has just been a hoohar on one of the dog sites as a dog died left in a car as instructed on a ferry last week...
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Oh no, that's terrible. Looks like the tunnel then. Thankyou so much everybody, I'm sure I'll have loads more questions X
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:34 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Be aware that the Tunnels getting extremely bad for delays and cancellations, and more importantly they are breaking down alot over the past couple of years! I have got stuck on a hot train in the tunnel with pets and was not fun as they can only tow the train back at some ridiculously slow speed, so took us an hour to get back to Folkestone again. They are extremey bad, and 80% of my previous journeys have suffered from one of each of these.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

wow - you must have had bad luck! I have never had a cancellation or problem with them!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:50 am
Just Joined

bhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used the tunnel about 30 times over the last 12 months and just one journey was delayed, taking about 15 minutes longer than normal.
Being stuck and towed out must be very unpleasant, but it does seem to be a very rare occurrence.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to visit for a month at a time initially and that means that you can try different routes and see which one works best for you.
Just because you try say the tunnel initially doesn't mean that you always need to use it.
You can also get "high speed" crossings to Le Havre from Portsmouth but I don't know their policy about dogs.
Good luck
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

We used to travel by ferry either from Portsmouth-Caen (taking the overnight) or Dover-Calais depending on where we were headed. The dogs were always fine (night crossings were cooler and daytime Dover-Calais are short - 2-2.5 hours max on the ferry usually) The the dog which died was a pug - always difficult to deal with in hotter weather at the best of times.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:22 pm
The Grocer

TheGrocer is an unknown quantity at this point

Britanny Ferries have a ship with pet friendly cabins now. You can take your dog in the cabint (Portsmouth-Le Harve run), but its fully booked until end of October,,,,,
Old Aug 6th 2014, 6:56 am
Just Joined

We need more dog friendly cabins !!
Will def look into that X