Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Feeling homesick all of a sudden

Feeling homesick all of a sudden

Old Sep 22nd 2022, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling homesick all of a sudden

Originally Posted by cyrian
I like Strasbourg a lot.
Lovely city.
We were in a restaurant and the waitress spoke with the first table in French; the second in German and us in English.
We were also in another restaurant on market day and a couple were speaking in the local dialect - whatever they were saying.
Next time you’re in the neighbourhood give me a shout.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo errr... wot's a kougelhopf ?
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 5:37 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Ooo errr... wot's a kougelhopf ?
Google knows all about kougelhopf
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 7:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Don’t know if the climate would be to your liking – we get hot summers and (in the past at any rate) cold winters – but Strasbourg’s a very liveable and quite lively little city. Probably the least French of all French cities, I would think. There are people from all over the place and even if English isn’t their first language, it’s widely spoken. I know the language per se wouldn’t be an issue for you but what I mean is, having a large presence of non-French people makes for a different atmosphere and gives the place a certain energy. You can have all my friends. You’re bound to strike a chord with at least a couple of them.

Alternatively, let’s retire to Somerset or somewhere and all get little houses or flats in the same town. You can pop round to my place of an evening for a Negroni.

Seriously, though, if any of you are ever in my neck of the woods, doesn’t hesitate to PM me (although please also warn me via the Forum because most embarrassingly I sometimes come across PM messages months after they were sent). I’ll take you out for a kougelhopf.
(I can't high-light anything nowadays.)
Rather than just a kougelhopf, why not go the whole hog and eat a flammekeuche and baeckehoffe! I love all things Alsacien. I might be in Strasbourg in November, so may accept your invitation to ET in her place!
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Seriously, though, if any of you are ever in my neck of the woods, doesn’t hesitate to PM me
That's a dangerously generous offer because one thing I will certainly do in retirement is spend more time travelling around France in my little camping car! so I may well turn up on your doorstep one of these fine days.
My mum took me to Strasbourg when I was probably in my early teens or maybe not quite, and I have good memories of it. Then I visited Alsace briefly a few years ago and the name of the town I stayed at has gone clean out of my head. It had lots of storks nesting on the tops of buildings, and a very good aire de camping car, with free showers, right next to the railway station. I was there for a few days to meet up with friends who were staying there in a gîte, and we had a really good time.
I remember getting chatting to a couple who were also staying on the aire de camping car. They'd been there for a month or so and were planning on staying most of the summer, they do that every year because they like the climate there better than at home. I said "Where's home?" and they live in a village barely 30km away! but they explained that because of the geography of the land, the weather in the two places is very different. It all seemed a bit implausible on the face of it, and I was tempted to say Why don't you just move? but it all seemed to make perfect sense to them, and what do I know about Alsace. But I love Munster cheese.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
(I can't high-light anything nowadays.)
Rather than just a kougelhopf, why not go the whole hog and eat a flammekeuche and baeckehoffe! I love all things Alsacien. I might be in Strasbourg in November, so may accept your invitation to ET in her place!
Yes, give me a shout!
Old Sep 25th 2022, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
That's a dangerously generous offer because one thing I will certainly do in retirement is spend more time travelling around France in my little camping car! so I may well turn up on your doorstep one of these fine days.
My mum took me to Strasbourg when I was probably in my early teens or maybe not quite, and I have good memories of it. Then I visited Alsace briefly a few years ago and the name of the town I stayed at has gone clean out of my head. It had lots of storks nesting on the tops of buildings, and a very good aire de camping car, with free showers, right next to the railway station. I was there for a few days to meet up with friends who were staying there in a gîte, and we had a really good time.
I remember getting chatting to a couple who were also staying on the aire de camping car. They'd been there for a month or so and were planning on staying most of the summer, they do that every year because they like the climate there better than at home. I said "Where's home?" and they live in a village barely 30km away! but they explained that because of the geography of the land, the weather in the two places is very different. It all seemed a bit implausible on the face of it, and I was tempted to say Why don't you just move? but it all seemed to make perfect sense to them, and what do I know about Alsace. But I love Munster cheese.
Which reminds me. I came home with a Petit Munster cheese once. MmeTP was out when I arrived. I tore the end off a fresh baguette, cut a generous portion of Munster and got stuck in. Sheer heaven!! When I'd finished, knowing Mme only likes mild cheeses, I put the cheese back inside it's inner paper wrapper, and then back inside its little box, and wrapped it in silver cooking foil and placed it in the bottom of the fridge. When she arrived back home at least an hour later, she called out from the kitchen area, "C'est quoi cette horrible odeur! I heard her but beat a quick retreat into another room. A few minutes later she'd traced the smell to the fridge, and came searching for me with the 'culprit' held at arms length. In defence I could only admit I'd "treated myself". Think I escaped quite well with only black looks which would have shrivelled a house plant.
At least she was good enough to replace it to the same dark, cool place, then I was reminded to eat the rest ASAP! I swear over the next day or two that cheese was alive and breathing fire!
@ET: When you do eventually hang up your professional camping hat for good, if you should ever head your camper southbound close to Toulouse, please give me a nod for a meet up - even with a large chunk of Munster.......

Old Sep 26th 2022, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps EuroTrash could do a tour of France, meeting up with us individually as she went along. Culminating in a big collective meetup at the end for anyone who was interested.... (assuming of course she hadn't concluded we were all so horrible in the flesh that she never wanted to see us again).
Would the loss of anonymity change things on the forum, though, I wonder. Could be an interesting exercise.