British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   A favourite French tv program? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/favourite-french-tv-program-542523/)

Tweedpipe Jun 11th 2008 8:17 pm

A favourite French tv program?

Do you have a favourite French tv program?
I’ve always enjoyed Louis la Brocante, which IMHO is typically French.
Louis is an antique dealer frequently caught up in some intrigue or another, whilst his charming but neurotic ex-wife is almost certain to turn up and harass him in most episodes.
One oddity is the weird Citroen Type H van that he drives, which most people woudn't be seen dead in. Back in the 70's I make several trips from Toulouse to Paris in one for the Le-Bourget Air Show, and still suffering from the thought and the ride. :ohmy:
I'd recommend the program for anyone with a reasonable knowledge of French who enjoys a good story, and good acting. Now shown every Thurs evening 20:55 on FR3.

treskillard Jun 11th 2008 8:30 pm

Re: A favourite French tv program?

sadly no French TV in this house - just freeview in ours and real Sky in the other three. Sad isn't it :(

Tweedpipe Jun 11th 2008 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by treskillard (Post 6458015)
sadly no French TV in this house - just freeview in ours and real Sky in the other three. Sad isn't it :(

We had SKY for 2 years, but found we were watching more French tv than English so discontinued SKY subscription. Programes were stopped immediately but it took 6 months and numerous correspondence before my direct debit was cancelled. :thumbdown:

treskillard Jun 11th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 6458179)
We had SKY for 2 years, but found we were watching more French tv than English so discontinued SKY subscription. Programes were stopped immediately but it took 6 months and numerous correspondence before my direct debit was cancelled. :thumbdown:

If only we had that opportunity - all that gets watched here is CBleedingBBees !
There is actually no French channel available - the engineer said something about the satellite - we borrowed a French decoder in the vain hope it might help but the arial sockets don't fit... we're not in the right area to pick up a box top signal.

Jazzy n Lol Jun 11th 2008 10:17 pm

We don't watch too much, but certainly never miss Who wants to be a millionaire? and 1 contre 100, 100,000 animal friends (or whatever it was called) and the funny home video show on saturday. Also love SuperNanny and Questions for a Champion, although I haven't seen them on for a while.

When we first arrived we watched Roue de Fortune every evening, totally banal but great for improving the french!

Collioure_Bee Jun 11th 2008 10:21 pm

I really enjoyed a French programme that BBC4 showed. It was called Spiral on UK tele but was called Engrenages in France.

A thriller based in Paris about a body of a girl found on a dump and there were all sorts of tie ins with important people and dignitaries. Top stuff.

Chris'nJulie Jun 12th 2008 7:59 am

I like the TeleMatin breakfast news programme on France 2. Really useful in the quest to get a grip on the French language, and a far, far cry from the Blue Peter dumbed down news and weather at the same time on BBC 1...

Chris

dmu Jun 12th 2008 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 6457970)
Do you have a favourite French tv program?
I’ve always enjoyed Louis la Brocante, which IMHO is typically French.
Louis is an antique dealer frequently caught up in some intrigue or another, whilst his charming but neurotic ex-wife is almost certain to turn up and harass him in most episodes.
One oddity is the weird Citroen Type H van that he drives, which most people woudn't be seen dead in. Back in the 70's I make several trips from Toulouse to Paris in one for the Le-Bourget Air Show, and still suffering from the thought and the ride. :ohmy:
I'd recommend the program for anyone with a reasonable knowledge of French who enjoys a good story, and good acting. Now shown every Thurs evening 20:55 on FR3.

I'm ashamed to say that we're hooked on "Plus belle la vie" (FR3 at 20h20 weekdays). It's a load of rubbish and badly acted, but so entertaining! At the other end of the scale, "C dans l'Air" (France 5, 17h45 with a repeat at about 22h30) is excellent, with discussions on current affairs (not as boring as it sounds).

Tweedpipe Jun 12th 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol (Post 6458397)
We don't watch too much, but certainly never miss Who wants to be a millionaire? and 1 contre 100, 100,000 animal friends (or whatever it was called) and the funny home video show on saturday. Also love SuperNanny and Questions for a Champion, although I haven't seen them on for a while.

When we first arrived we watched Roue de Fortune every evening, totally banal but great for improving the french!

Jazzy n Lol,
It looks like we watch similar programs- assume this was 'Qui Veut Gagner Des Millions' - understanding the questions sometimes is a bit challenging let alone answering, although the fact they they appear written on screen certainly is an aid to ones French. The animal program '100 Million d'Amis' or whatever, we like too, and some British expats occasionaly appear which adds to the interest.

DMU,
I once watched 'Plus belle la vie' for about 3mins and then quickly zapped. But I can understand that it's easy to become hooked once the characters & situations become familiar.

Andrea50 Jun 12th 2008 7:58 pm

Hey, Chris and Julie, is that bloke William still doing the France 2 telematin programme?

Know the bloke well, woke up with him for 2 years, really enjoyed that programme, much better than Lorraine Kelly, or even our "Breakfast". Old William always had certain reporters reporting on their own topic - a woman on Film with long blonde hair, and a more mature lady doing health and stuff, and a funny bloke that looked a bit like Brains out of Thunderbirds doing techy stuff and music.

We really enjoyed it, hope it is still on when we get back there (hopefully within next few months).

The funniest ones were the B rate American stuff the French had obviously got dirt cheap and dubbed over. Monk was one, and they also did an attempt at The Terminator but chose a voice over bloke to do Arny who sounded more like Julian Clary and it just didn't work save for sending us rolling on the floor.

Hope weather isn't THAT bad over there you are reduced to watching tele everyone!!!!

Andy

Andrea50 Jun 12th 2008 8:00 pm

And of course, sorry to have forgotten THE best tele in France. The rugby.

Toulouse v Biarritz - what a bloodbath - awesome, made our guys look like the Women's Institute ........

Andy

stanage2 Jun 12th 2008 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea50 (Post 6461349)
Hey, Chris and Julie, is that bloke William still doing the France 2 telematin programme?

Know the bloke well, woke up with him for 2 years, really enjoyed that programme, much better than Lorraine Kelly, or even our "Breakfast". Old William always had certain reporters reporting on their own topic - a woman on Film with long blonde hair, and a more mature lady doing health and stuff, and a funny bloke that looked a bit like Brains out of Thunderbirds doing techy stuff and music.

We really enjoyed it, hope it is still on when we get back there (hopefully within next few months).

The funniest ones were the B rate American stuff the French had obviously got dirt cheap and dubbed over. Monk :Done, and they also did an attempt at The Terminator but chose a voice over bloke to do Arny who sounded more like Julian Clary and it just didn't work save for sending us rolling on the floor.

Hope weather isn't THAT bad over there you are reduced to watching tele everyone!!!!

Andy

William still lives and all his gang.
Watch it with breakfast:D:D

treskillard Jun 12th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by stanage2 (Post 6461375)
William still lives and all his gang.

Where? On the Costas?

Chris'nJulie Jun 13th 2008 7:19 am

Originally Posted by treskillard (Post 6461619)
Where? On the Costas?

William is still there - I like his wit, and he doesn't take himself too seriously. All the regulars are there too. I like the programme because it's sharp, the producion is natty and it's really informative. Still can't understand most of it yet, though - but we're slowly getting there!!

Chris

treskillard Jun 14th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie (Post 6462589)
William is still there - I like his wit, and he doesn't take himself too seriously. All the regulars are there too. I like the programme because it's sharp, the producion is natty and it's really informative. Still can't understand most of it yet, though - but we're slowly getting there!!

Chris

Whoops sorry - didn't read the posts properly and thought Stanage was talking about Just William and his gang :o Now there's a good subject for the lounge :)