Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Favourite French comedian dies

Favourite French comedian dies

Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favourite French comedian dies

The death of one of my favourite French comedians was announced late last night. Sim.
Started to watch this guy during the 70's, and until quite recently he was a regular on a radio show Les Grosses Tetes.
For those who are more than up to par with their French, here's an extract of what he was capable of.
Important: Don't watch this clip if you are offended by very rude jokes!
And please don't ask for a translation.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMki7hbUonA

Other classics. Brilliant spontaneous humour! (Suitable for family viewing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzKNWEncR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGosiEc4fzI
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:08 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite French comedian dies

Oh...

Sim was such a great entertainer...

Am in the process of watching the videos you posted... Am in stitches!!

Not sure if Les Grosses Tetes are still on RTL.... But years ago, they were on TV too at the weekend (the only time I used to listen!) and god didnt we laugh!! Best times were with Sim & Isabelle Mergot!!

Enjoy the videos, might post a few later on

RIP Sim! Repose en Paix!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been in France long enough to know much about French culture along with its heros and villains. I paseed Laurent Ruquier (http://www.ruquier.com/) on my road yesterday though (no idea who he is either, but my partner said 'oh, he's much taller in life').
Am I right in thinking Benny Hill is/was big in France?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Oh...

Sim was such a great entertainer...

Am in the process of watching the videos you posted... Am in stitches!!

Not sure if Les Grosses Tetes are still on RTL.... But years ago, they were on TV too at the weekend (the only time I used to listen!) and god didnt we laugh!! Best times were with Sim & Isabelle Mergot!!

Enjoy the videos, might post a few later on

RIP Sim! Repose en Paix!
Matewx,
Glad you appreciated it. Sim was one of those rare comedians that looked silly even before opening his mouth - not unlike Tommy Cooper (a bit skinnier though)! He had people falling about with his sketches and jokes, as these clips show.
Yes, Les Grosses Tetes are still on RTL after all these years, directed as always by P. Bouvard.
Incidently Isabelle Mergot took up film directing a few years ago, and had a box-office hit with her first film Je Vous Trouve Très Beau which won her a César. Had another film also last year Enfin Veuve, which I don't think was so popular.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I've not been in France long enough to know much about French culture along with its heros and villains. I paseed Laurent Ruquier (http://www.ruquier.com/) on my road yesterday though (no idea who he is either, but my partner said 'oh, he's much taller in life').
Am I right in thinking Benny Hill is/was big in France?

GJB,
Amongst other things, Laurent Ruquier is a Saturday late-night talk show host with a like-him/loath-him sense of humour. Personaly I like him, and wish his show was on earlier in the evening.
Yes Benny Hill was extremely popular in France (as was Mr Bean), in fact both had great world-wide popularity.
B. Hill was very popular in Brazil ages ago whilst I was working there, and I also recall being in a large department store in China 5 years ago and saw a crowd gathering and laughing their heads off. Of course, I had to go over and investigate the reason for their behaviour, and found that a Mr Bean sketch was showing on one of the TV's on display.

Back to France now and their comedians, are there any big Coluche fans reading this? If so we should share some of his clips - perhaps under a separate title.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
GJB,
Amongst other things, Laurent Ruquier is a Saturday late-night talk show host with a like-him/loath-him sense of humour. Personaly I like him, and wish his show was on earlier in the evening.
Yes Benny Hill was extremely popular in France (as was Mr Bean), in fact both had great world-wide popularity.
B. Hill was very popular in Brazil ages ago whilst I was working there, and I also recall being in a large department store in China 5 years ago and saw a crowd gathering and laughing their heads off. Of course, I had to go over and investigate the reason for their behaviour, and found that a Mr Bean sketch was showing on one of the TV's on display.

Back to France now and their comedians, are there any big Coluche fans reading this? If so we should share some of his clips - perhaps under a separate title.

I listen to Laurent Ruquier on Europe 1 from 4pm to 6pm on his show called 'on va se gêner' - I like him too but I have to aggree that either you like him or you don't!!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

If I'd have known who he was I would have stopped and asked him for a joke... I often wonder if comedians are as funny in real life.