Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Old Jun 24th 2005, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Beverley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Hi my name is Beverley and with my husband Gary and two daughters Victoria 12 and Holly 10 we are considering moving to France. We have looked at many areas of France but quite like the look of Poitou- Charentes region.

I would like to know if this is a good area to come and bring up my children, i would be very interested in hearing from expats who have already moved to this area. There are lots of questions i would like to ask, but one of the main worries i have is the girls and there education. We are planning to arrange some extra French lessons for them ( and myself) before we move. If someone could let me know there experencies and how there children settled in France i would be very gratefull. Also suggest some areas of Poitou-Charentes which have a few expats with children my girls ages so that maybe they will be going to school with some English children.

This is my first go at this so i am not sure how it works but i would like to thank anyone who took the time to read this and reply.

Thanks

Beverley
Old Jun 25th 2005, 4:45 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Bonjour Beverley,

You may also wish to check out this site:
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/fo...forum.php?f=55

it is mainly about Poitou-Charentes region.

Let us know how you get on.

Bonne chance.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Bonjour Beverley,

You may also wish to check out this site:
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/fo...forum.php?f=55

it is mainly about Poitou-Charentes region.

Let us know how you get on.

Bonne chance.
Thanks very much for that it's a great site.

Beverley
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:24 am
tweetypie

Cool Re: Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Originally Posted by Beverley1
Thanks very much for that it's a great site.

Beverley
Hi Beverley!

We're planning to make the big move in about 12 weeks time. We're moving to Confolens, which isn't too far from Angouleme. My children are 14 and 12 and they too are our major concern. I don't think there are any English speaking schools in the area, believe me I've looked!!! However, most people I've spoken to say that despite the initial trauma of going to school and not understanding a word, that going to a French school is actually a very positive thing. Learning to write French is vital if your children want to eventually work in France. We just have to accept that the transition could be rather tricky!!!!!!

How do your kids feel about the move, mine are extremely positive on the whole although they accept that things won't all be plain sailing.

Do you intend to move soon? We're going on a fact finding trip in about a month's time, I'm meeting up with a relocator who can apparently make the whole process a lot smoother... I'm not holding my breath!!!!

I'll let you know what I find out about the schools

Speak soon

Cathy

Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tweetypie
Hi Beverley!

We're planning to make the big move in about 12 weeks time. We're moving to Confolens, which isn't too far from Angouleme. My children are 14 and 12 and they too are our major concern. I don't think there are any English speaking schools in the area, believe me I've looked!!! However, most people I've spoken to say that despite the initial trauma of going to school and not understanding a word, that going to a French school is actually a very positive thing. Learning to write French is vital if your children want to eventually work in France. We just have to accept that the transition could be rather tricky!!!!!!

How do your kids feel about the move, mine are extremely positive on the whole although they accept that things won't all be plain sailing.

Do you intend to move soon? We're going on a fact finding trip in about a month's time, I'm meeting up with a relocator who can apparently make the whole process a lot smoother... I'm not holding my breath!!!!

I'll let you know what I find out about the schools

Speak soon

Cathy
Hi Cathy,

Thanks very much for your reply. We aren't sure when to make the move at the moment it is very early days for us. It's something we have been thinking about for a long time, it's just having the confidence to get on with it, we have seen a lovely place in Angouleme advertised on the internet and we are thinking about booking a trip to see it, so who knows.

I would be very interested to hear about how you get on with the relocator, that sounds like a good idea as you would hope they understand everything better than us.

As for our children, Holly our yongest is quite happy with the idea as we would like to buy somewhere with a bit of land and she loves animals, Victoria on the other hand is not quite so sure. She is very settled in school and has lots of friends. She is already learning French at school and is doing very well at it but it's not the same as having evey lesson in French.

It would be great if you could let me know about the schools in the area, i have looked as well and i think you are right no english schools close by.

Good luck with your move.

Beverley
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:01 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat community's in Poitou-Charentes

Bonjour Beverley & Cathy,

"Before making your mind up", (this sounds like a song), may I suggest that you actually rent a place for a few weeks (more than 2) in France in the area of your "dreams", to give you a true idea of what "la bonne vie" could be.

To get the real feel, you need to be in a flat or house, not hotel where everything is done for you as a guest, so that you can find out where to shop, get to know the locals, participate in the local fetes open to all ages.

It could be a fact finding adventure which could help you to make the decision of a life time or simply re-affirm what you knew all along.

Looking forward to reading your progresses.

A bientot.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:08 am
tweetypie

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Bonjour Beverley & Cathy,

"Before making your mind up", (this sounds like a song), may I suggest that you actually rent a place for a few weeks (more than 2) in France in the area of your "dreams", to give you a true idea of what "la bonne vie" could be.

To get the real feel, you need to be in a flat or house, not hotel where everything is done for you as a guest, so that you can find out where to shop, get to know the locals, participate in the local fetes open to all ages.

It could be a fact finding adventure which could help you to make the decision of a life time or simply re-affirm what you knew all along.

Looking forward to reading your progresses.

A bientot.
I think you're quite right, being somewhere on holiday is very different to actually living there. We're planning on spending a few weeks in the area in August, before finally moving in the Autumn.

We plan to rent for between 6 months and a year to get a feel for the place and get ourselves settled with the mundane things in life before we start the arduous task of house hunting!!!

We're expecting it to be steep learning curve, but I think we're up for the challenge!!! Ask me again in 6 months!!!

Old Jul 7th 2005, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tweetypie
I think you're quite right, being somewhere on holiday is very different to actually living there. We're planning on spending a few weeks in the area in August, before finally moving in the Autumn.

We plan to rent for between 6 months and a year to get a feel for the place and get ourselves settled with the mundane things in life before we start the arduous task of house hunting!!!

We're expecting it to be steep learning curve, but I think we're up for the challenge!!! Ask me again in 6 months!!!

Cathy,

I live in France now. Have done for 21/2 years with my 2 year old son. We have just moved to Availles Limouzine (10 mins from where you are looking).

Ilived in the Louire Valley (Saumur) before moving. I much prefer it here. It far more beautiful (in my opinion) and the people are far friendlier.

The way of life is hard to ajust to to start with (its soooo much slower than the UK), this can be annoying at times when you just want to get on.

Of course in Confelones there is a large English population (my next door neighbour is also English). The maire here in Availes is known as a racist (he was featured in an English paper I believe a little while ago).

There is a new English restaurant opening I belive. as well as the English shop that to be honest isn't stocked well at all. I tend to go to the shop at Civray, that is fully stocked.

The supermarkets are very basic in Confelones (Intermaché), personally I tend to go to St Julian to Carfore or Le Claire.

the schools are on a general good in France, if you wanted to go private its very affordable (unlike the UK private schools), there are expensive private schools also here i'm not sure where as my lad is only 2.

Sorry if I have rabbited on, if you do want any other info feel free to ask. I will do my best to help you in your move.

My advise would be don't use a relocater as there isn't a need. We moved on our own with no problems at all, they are an added expense that I think isn't necessary.There are English speaking estate agants here (so no language barrier). My family renovate properties and sell them on to the English/French so we have a lot of experience in tis field). You can employ English/French speaking people as and when you need them here. There are loads of people advertising in the English French paper that you can get here (French news)

Hope this helps a little

Susi
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:01 pm
Bound to happen!?!

himalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant future

Hi there,
We actually live in Brittany with our 2 children, 5 and 14 yrs old. I can tell you all there is to know about this area anyway, but we are in the process of immigration to Canada and selling our house. Feel free to email me and make sure you check out www.angloinfo.com and choose your area.
Regards