Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

exercise in isolation

exercise in isolation

Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exercise in isolation

Thinking of dmu's new thread where he mentions that this forum is understandably slowing I thought I would start a thread on what people are doing to keep fit in these extraordinary circumstances apart from the 1 hour walk or run allowed.

I practice chigong and taichi. I studied Japanese martial arts for 20 years and then yang style taichi on and off for 4 years. Chigong covers a bewildering number of exercises from all over China. My wife and I learned a series of moves from an old boy we visited in a place called Yangshwau one Christmas when we were living in Hong Kong. A western version would be called dynamic tension where you use one muscle or set of muscles against others to provide resistance. It builds muscle and cuts fat.

It also, along with taichi, if you believe in such stuff, generates chi (or ki in Japanese thought) and by doing the exercises in a certain order, channels it around the body. I would say I go as far as having a respectful open mind to some of the more extreme claims made of the mystical aspects of Asian arts, but I have witnessed some extraordinary things in my years of study.

Essentially, I don't mind why or how it works, it just works for me, including lowering my blood pressure to acceptable levels. Some may scoff at this claim, but I can tell a short story about it. I was diagnosed after various tests with having entered the lower level of hypertension about 13 years ago and my doctor prescribed medication. I told her that I had just started practicing taichi and one of the benefits was supposed to be a lowering of blood pressure. She was happy to let me wait for a few months and come back to be tested again.

When I went back my pressure had dropped to a safe level. She asked me to ask the teacher what had happened. He asked 'Does she want the mystical chi explanation or the mechanical one?' I said 'She's a doctor, she'll want the mechanical one.' 'Ok, when you do the exercises they are always in a certain order so your muscles tense and relax in order. They squeeze on the veins and arteries and help pump the blood round the body so the heart can relax a little'. I went back to the doctor and told her this and she said 'Right. I'm going to get all my older patients to take up taichi.'

Hardly scientific evidence, but as I said, it has worked for me. The more eagle eyed among you will have noticed that his explanation doesn't cover a lowered blood pressure when not practicing taichi, but I think really it's describing the movement of chi through the body in a way palatable to the western mind.

Should anyone be encouraged to try chigong or taichi there are loads of good videos on youtube and though not as good as having a teacher they are a very good start to something that could well bring health and pleasure to many.

Stay safe and healthy.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exercise in isolation

Originally Posted by Alianco
Thinking of dmu's new thread where he mentions that this forum is understandably slowing I thought I would start a thread on what people are doing to keep fit in these extraordinary circumstances apart from the 1 hour walk or run allowed.

I practice chigong and taichi. I studied Japanese martial arts for 20 years and then yang style taichi on and off for 4 years. Chigong covers a bewildering number of exercises from all over China. My wife and I learned a series of moves from an old boy we visited in a place called Yangshwau one Christmas when we were living in Hong Kong. A western version would be called dynamic tension where you use one muscle or set of muscles against others to provide resistance. It builds muscle and cuts fat.

It also, along with taichi, if you believe in such stuff, generates chi (or ki in Japanese thought) and by doing the exercises in a certain order, channels it around the body. I would say I go as far as having a respectful open mind to some of the more extreme claims made of the mystical aspects of Asian arts, but I have witnessed some extraordinary things in my years of study.

Essentially, I don't mind why or how it works, it just works for me, including lowering my blood pressure to acceptable levels. Some may scoff at this claim, but I can tell a short story about it. I was diagnosed after various tests with having entered the lower level of hypertension about 13 years ago and my doctor prescribed medication. I told her that I had just started practicing taichi and one of the benefits was supposed to be a lowering of blood pressure. She was happy to let me wait for a few months and come back to be tested again.

When I went back my pressure had dropped to a safe level. She asked me to ask the teacher what had happened. He asked 'Does she want the mystical chi explanation or the mechanical one?' I said 'She's a doctor, she'll want the mechanical one.' 'Ok, when you do the exercises they are always in a certain order so your muscles tense and relax in order. They squeeze on the veins and arteries and help pump the blood round the body so the heart can relax a little'. I went back to the doctor and told her this and she said 'Right. I'm going to get all my older patients to take up taichi.'

Hardly scientific evidence, but as I said, it has worked for me. The more eagle eyed among you will have noticed that his explanation doesn't cover a lowered blood pressure when not practicing taichi, but I think really it's describing the movement of chi through the body in a way palatable to the western mind.

Should anyone be encouraged to try chigong or taichi there are loads of good videos on youtube and though not as good as having a teacher they are a very good start to something that could well bring health and pleasure to many.

Stay safe and healthy.
I'm a "she"!
"Before", I went to Senior Gym and Sophro-Gym three times a week, to keep fit.
"During", I'm doing twice-daily, shorter sessions, to which I've added my rescussitated indoor bike and Tai-Chi "24" which I learned long ago but let drop due to the Master moving. The few Qi Gong movements which I remember are also added in the warm-up....
My Prof de Gym has posted videos on FB in case any one forgets the sequence, and I also do a session per day with my daughters via Skype, and I'm doing the Sophro side at bed-time. In fact I'm doing more indoor exercise "during" than "before".....
P.S. No doubt you've all heard/seen that jogging, etc... has been further restricted in Paris and banlieue (and elsewhere, at the Mayor's discretion) to avoid joggers and workers/shoppers mingling.
Keep fit every one!!
Old Apr 8th 2020, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dmu
I'm a "she"!
Damn, sorry.
Good to hear of your increase in exercise, it's the same for me. I have a couple of mates complaining they are putting on weight with all the inaction, I'm determined to do the opposite. I also need to make sure I don't lose the specific muscles used in archery so I string my bow every day and draw and hold anchor as it's called 10 times for 10 seconds. I do that three times. Of no use for general fitness, but at least it means I won't be too terrible when I get a chance to go back to it.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 1:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
Damn, sorry.
Good to hear of your increase in exercise, it's the same for me. I have a couple of mates complaining they are putting on weight with all the inaction, I'm determined to do the opposite. I also need to make sure I don't lose the specific muscles used in archery so I string my bow every day and draw and hold anchor as it's called 10 times for 10 seconds. I do that three times. Of no use for general fitness, but at least it means I won't be too terrible when I get a chance to go back to it.
Thank you for that. I've got a nephew-in-law who does archery in Paris and I'm pretty sure he hasn't had the idea to "hold the anchor" regularly during confinement. (I must now find the French equivalent - "tenir l'ancre" doesn't sound at all right.....)
Old Apr 8th 2020, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

He should have got an email from the French archery association including exercises that can be done at home though simply drawing and holding the weight of the bow works for me. In English we refer to drawing to your anchor point, I don't know if the french use the same expression. If you find out from your nephew the French equivalent for 'holding at anchor' please let me know. As a sailor it could all get a bit confusing.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I go for a walk every day. Same route give or take, just a few km but having had a very sedentary lifestyle in recent years, I have to admit that I'm actually feeling fitter than I have for a long time!
When it all started the lambs in the fields were tiny. Now they're gambolling.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Have you noticed the wild flowers are blooming now that they are no longer trodden under foot so much? The parks here in Carcassonne next to the Aude are carpeted with daisies.