Reload this Page >

Entering France as a resident with an expiring UK passport

Entering France as a resident with an expiring UK passport

Old Nov 12th 2023, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Washand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering France as a resident with an expiring UK passport

Hello,

I have a 10-year French residency card with years before it expires but my UK passport is approaching its expiration in August next year. The French immigration website says that someone from the UK can enter France with a passport that has an expiry date which is 3 or more months from the expected date of departure.

What I cannot find out is whether the residency card allows me to enter France up to the point of my passport expiration, or whether I must have some time remaining on my UK passport for the residency card to be valid. I shall be coming from outside the Schengen zone so I'm very uncertain whether I can enter France with just the residency card. In my experience, immigration always ask for a valid passport and ignore the residency card.

Does anyone know the regulations on this, or even an e-mail address for French immigration enquiries?

The simple solution is to renew my passport, but I have visas for other countries in my expiring passport that I don't want to change before next summer.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Washand; Nov 12th 2023 at 3:04 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2023, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering France as a resident with an expiring UK passport

Renew your passport and carry it with you together with your new passport.
Old Nov 12th 2023, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately that will not work for the visas in my existing passport, as they become invalid as soon as a new passport is issued. Then I have to apply for new visas on the new passport, which for a number of reasons is not so easy. If I knew what French immigration would accept as time remaining on my existing passport, while in possession of a residency card, to let me enter the country, then I could enter France and apply for a new UK passport at the embassy in Paris, while avoiding all the complications of applying for new third country visas.
Old Nov 13th 2023, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Washand
Hello,

I have a 10-year French residency card with years before it expires but my UK passport is approaching its expiration in August next year. The French immigration website says that someone from the UK can enter France with a passport that has an expiry date which is 3 or more months from the expected date of departure.

What I cannot find out is whether the residency card allows me to enter France up to the point of my passport expiration, or whether I must have some time remaining on my UK passport for the residency card to be valid. I shall be coming from outside the Schengen zone so I'm very uncertain whether I can enter France with just the residency card. In my experience, immigration always ask for a valid passport and ignore the residency card.

Does anyone know the regulations on this, or even an e-mail address for French immigration enquiries?

The simple solution is to renew my passport, but I have visas for other countries in my expiring passport that I don't want to change before next summer.

Many thanks!

In theory you should be OK because when you’re reentering France from wherever, you could argue that you have no expected date of departure from France because you live there.

Did you obtain your French residence permit under the Withdrawal Agreement?
If so, I found this on the www.gov.uk site:

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you can enter and exit EU countries with a valid passport. You do not need any additional validity on the passport beyond the dates on which you are travelling.
Old Nov 13th 2023, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the Brexit withdrawal card I cannot see a problem but if you do not that might make French immigration suspicious
Old Nov 14th 2023, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Andyj100 will become famous soon enoughAndyj100 will become famous soon enough

if your visas are work related, have you thought of getting a second passport? You just need a letter from your employer stating a second visa is needed for visa applications.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 7:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As long as your passport is valid then you can use it to enter France as a resident. The three month rule only applies to visitors.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comment. It would seem logical, but do you have experience of this, or direct information from French immigration?
Old Nov 24th 2023, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andyj100
if your visas are work related, have you thought of getting a second passport? You just need a letter from your employer stating a second visa is needed for visa applications.
Good idea, but it doesn't apply in my case. I have considered applying for a French passport but the waiting time is very long - over two years before they will even dust off the paperwork...
Old Nov 24th 2023, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As long as your passport is valid then you can use it to enter France as a resident. The three month rule only applies to visitors.
Thanks for your comment. It would seem logical, but do you have experience of this, or direct information from French immigration?

Old Nov 27th 2023, 9:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Washand
I don’t have personal experience but requiring your passport to be valid for at least three months from the departure is nonsensical for residents as you don’t need to depart.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/arti...arte-de-sejour
Old Nov 29th 2023, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate having seen this thread. I have a ten-year CdS. My UK passport expired a few years ago and I didn't bother to renew it. I had better things to spend my money on and I also don't envisage having to go back for any reason. The link to the connexionfrance.com article explains that I will indeed have to renew my passport just before I apply for my CdS extension. Good to know, and many thanks toBritInParis for posting it.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by White Trash
I appreciate having seen this thread. I have a ten-year CdS. My UK passport expired a few years ago and I didn't bother to renew it. I had better things to spend my money on and I also don't envisage having to go back for any reason. The link to the connexionfrance.com article explains that I will indeed have to renew my passport just before I apply for my CdS extension. Good to know, and many thanks toBritInParis for posting it.
In your case, that would be necessary and would work, but I can get no confirmation from French immigration about my issue. I guess I just have to turn up at the border and hope for the best. By the way, why don't you apply for a French citizenship and a passport if you're intending to stay long-term? A CdS renewal can be declined if times and policies change, and if you have a 10-year CdS, you can fulfil the 5 year residency requirement for citizenship application. However, the current waiting time for immigration to start the evaluation after submitting an citizenship application is over 2 years, so you would need to start the process soon after clocking 5 years' residency.

Old Nov 30th 2023, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I would stand much chance of passing the test for French citizenship and certainly would look a complete fool at a spoken interview. I am here for the long term and have no family or even friends back in UK. I first arrived here on the famous 9/11 and never looked back. Apart from a good curry there's not much I miss.