Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

english TV channels

english TV channels

Old May 18th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

zims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant future
Default english TV channels

In the area Montpelier to Perpignan, can anyone see
the usual UK channels ie. BBC1,2,4,ITV etc?
Would you require a satilite dish, ( astra or similar )
decoder or what?
thanks
Old May 18th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

mactheconny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: english TV channels

You'll need a satellite to view English TV channels such as BBC, ITV etc.

I have SKY on freeview, which gives me all the BBC/ITV plus a few others. There's bound to be someone in the area who will set up a package for you. There are ways and means of getting the full hit, but probably best left to whoever sets your system up to explain rather than post on here
Old May 19th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

zims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant future

I have SKY on freeview, which gives me all the BBC/ITV plus a few others. There's bound to be someone in the area who will set up a package for you. There are ways and means of getting the full hit, but probably best left to whoever sets your system up to explain rather than post on here [/QUOTE]

thank you for this info.
Old May 19th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

ludojoey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

you can receive BBC1 2 and 3 on Astra 2, FTA (free to air) and other english channels
Old May 19th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Astra 1 gives mostly French, Spanish and Portuguese channels with a few Arab ones thrown in for good measure. Astra 2 gives a large number of English channels but won't give channel 5. Astra 2 needs a full size dish to get a good signal where I am.
I can get the basic French channels 1,2, and 3 on an ordinary aerial. Theoretically I should be able to get a wider number of French channels using a terrestrial box and satellite dish aimed at another satellite, however, I have the same problem as French people locally. I am in a hollow and the signal is not strong enough. I need special equipment and at the moment I don't spend enough time watching television to justify it.
You don't need to have a Sky box/ package unless you specifically want it e.g. for some of their paytoview sports channels. You can get freeview style boxes which will give you a number of channels free.
If you want more than the basic French channels and English television you either have to have two satellite dishes as they need to be aimed at different satellites or a motor on your satellite dish in order to aim it from one to the other. Items can be purchased reasonably at BricoDepot and elsewhere.
I'm in central France so not in your area but the same principles apply so hope this non tekkie response helps.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Has anyon bought the mobile satelite system from LIDL ?
Old May 20th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

I bought my TNT box from there some while back. It works perfectly well theoretically but, as I say, I'm in a pocket of poor reception and it can't pick up the signal from my aerial even if it is rihght by it.