Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

English Sports Kit (mainly cricket)

English Sports Kit (mainly cricket)

Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

uksports is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Sports Kit (mainly cricket)

Hi all

Do we have any cricketers on here?
As a cricketer myself, I find that the french do not seem to recognise the sport in the main sports shops and always find myself having to top up my cricket gear on visits back to the UK. Which is ok unless I need something in a hurry due to breakages/loss etc

Does anyone else share my gripe, and are there any other sports that the french just don't cater for?

I'm thinking about speaking to some independent UK sports suppliers to see if they will ship to france for 'reasonable' costs but I would like to gauge interest before I spend a bit of time doing so.

Be good to hear anything you have on this topic

Thanks all
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Sports Kit (mainly cricket)

I can't say I share your gripe as I hung up my cricket pads - and retired my box - years ago.
However it's certainly interesting to see the bemused faces of the French when they occasionally see cricket being played on a village green - whether in France or UK.
With reference to not being able to get cricket gear here, have you ever tried to buy a set of boules de petanque from a store in UK?
I bet too you would also be hard-pushed to find an xistera for a game of pelote basque in any London store. Believe it or not this used to be an Olympic sport.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

uksports is an unknown quantity at this point

It is good to see the faces of the french watching a game of cricket. Although more and more french lads are starting to play, and play pretty well too.

My moan was more to get the topic going, of course I understand why they do not stock equipment when demand is so low here in france, and I'm sure the same problem does apply to the boules in London!

If there are more people here in France that do want to get equipment alot easier then I am keen to help set it up.

We shall see
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:21 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uksports
It is good to see the faces of the french watching a game of cricket. Although more and more french lads are starting to play, and play pretty well too.

My moan was more to get the topic going, of course I understand why they do not stock equipment when demand is so low here in france, and I'm sure the same problem does apply to the boules in London!

If there are more people here in France that do want to get equipment alot easier then I am keen to help set it up.

We shall see
Welcome to the forum
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Do we have any cricketers on here?
As a cricketer myself, I find that the french do not seem to recognise the sport in the main sports shops and always find myself having to top up my cricket gear on visits back to the UK. Which is ok unless I need something in a hurry due to breakages/loss etc

Does anyone else share my gripe, and are there any other sports that the french just don't cater for?

I'm thinking about speaking to some independent UK sports suppliers to see if they will ship to france for 'reasonable' costs but I would like to gauge interest before I spend a bit of time doing so.

Be good to hear anything you have on this topic

Thanks all
Have you tried www.amazon.fr?
Search under sports et loisirs.

John Lewis also stock cricket equipment and deliver to France although that may not include sports equipment - you would have to check.

You may also get delivery from other on-line suppliers.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:53 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

We shall see
Surprisingly cricket is alive and well in France under the umbrella of France Cricket. The links here will give some of the details of the teams in and around my part of France. I play for La Roche-sur-Yon CC and we and other teams have ex-pats and some French players. Admittedly it's mostly ex-pats but we recruit male and female players.
Ages vary, from teens to old peeps like me and a session behind the stumps certainly tests me afterwards.
Cricket gear is, as Tweedpipe says, is not stocked in France. You can get a box, though it may be sold for contact sports.

http://francecricket.com/

http://lrsycc.org/EN/index.html

http://www.iledere-cricketclub.com/

http://www.saumur-cricket.com/

http://maillecricketclub.yolasite.com/

We play throughout the summer and there is an indoor tournament at La Roche this month. Spectators and new players would be welcome by all the clubs here.